Watchmen prequels.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
MoRmEnGiL

Watchmen prequels.

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

So.

It appears DC is doing a series of prequels to Watchmen.

Somebody shoot me now. This is a TERRIBLE idea.

Moore himself does not want to have ANYTHING to do with it, and probably with Watchmen in general any more.

Why god why.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
morvelaira

Re: Watchmen prequels.

Post by morvelaira »

"Hurr durr, we made a money. If we make more movie things, we make more monies!"
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I'm of two minds about this.

Watchmen was a complete story. It needs nothing new.

On the other hand:

Watchmen was based on Charlton Comics characters.

Alan Moore's Legion of Extraordinary Gentleman was based on other people's characters.

He wrote Swamp Thing, which was based on Len Wein's characters (and Len Wein is writing of the of the Watchmen prequels).

He also has written Batman, Superman and so on, even while the original creators were still suing to get the rights back to their characters.

So, I think ethically and morally DC and the creators are in the clear.

I think the books are going to suck, though, but it would be nice to find out that they are better than I expect them to be.
echo off

Post by echo off »

rofl... "Moore criticized the project, calling it "completely shameless", and stated he was not interested in monetary compensation, but rather “What I want is for this not to happen.” "

and if Moore's not on board, I see no reason to bother checking it out.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Eh, Alan Moore has always rubbed me the wrong way. He does steal quite a bit and the movie has proven that other writers can handle adapting those characters quite well. Bottom line, if the books are good, I'll read them and enjoy them.

If they're as bad as DC has demonstrated themselves to be in the recent past, I will continue to alternately laugh at them and call them names.
Better is the enemy of Good
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

In my eyes this is sacrilege blasphemy and I dontwannaknowaboutit.
War..
War never changes.

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Out of curiosity, did you also boycott the film adaptation? Moore sold the rights to the story. Nothing I have seen shows that he is offering to buy those rights back, he just wants control.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I couldn't resist watching that one. It was a decent film, but it totally missed the point. It just didn't feel like watchmen, but like a random superhero film. To be honest I don't really remember much, and have no interest whatsoever to watch it again.

It wasn't as off as V for Vendetta was, and nowhere near as bad as League was, but Moore comics just don't translate to the big screen. They are what they are and that's it. He himself has stated that he is trying to explore avenues of expression that the comic as a medium offers that the big (or small) screen doesn't, and I think this is spot on in the case of watchmen.

In Moore's words: “I don’t want money, what I want is for this not to happen.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/books ... .html?_r=2

The only thing that eases the pain a bit is that J. Michael Straczynski is involved, for whom a have a huge amount of respect.
War..
War never changes.

Urian

Post by Urian »

Regarding movie adaptions that differs enormously from the comic: Wanted

It makes the TV series of Batman from the 60's seem like a 100% faithful adaption. Some names are the same but everything else has been changed. The comic is one of my favorites (it's only something like 5 issues, go read them now!) but it's got nothing in common with the movie at all except the names of the two main characters and the movie name.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:J. Michael Straczynski is involved
I was about to rant, but seeing that he is involved, I might give it a shot. We'll see.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Now that I think of it, JMS' involvement is actually a bad thing, because otherwise I would 100% pretend the prequels didn't happen at all. Now I might be tempted to give them a shot, which will ruin watchmen for me forever.

IIRC there will be separate prequels for some characters, and different writers will be involved with each..
War..
War never changes.

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Oh gods, the local comic shop put out the Wanted books cause they were making a movie and it was so awesome I just had to go see the movie.

And then I just had to walk out about 30 minutes into it. Almost put me completely off of film adaptations for years.
echo off

Post by echo off »

rofl, yeh i can't remember half of the movie. i just remember that the ending was utterly screwed, and thus the whole conclusion of the philosophical argument created in the original was lost. it was like they took all the pop idea's, but rejected the inferences of those concepts.

anywayz, don't worry too much about it MoRmEnGiL. with global economic collapse only a stones throw away, you'll probably be too busy trying to survive the thunderdome ;)

ps: cause you reminded me of good memories with that signiture and that avatar, i'm hoping you'll enjoy this :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvIrf86g4Y
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Heh. That reminds me of the time I watched "I am legend". Can someone explain to me why they would remove the book ending, when that ending is what the title alludes to?

Luckily, it had Will Smith in it, who gets an instant redeem pass for any movie he makes, because I'd watch anything with him anyway :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Funny, I used to say that about Liam Neeson and then I saw the trailer for Battleship.

Anyway, there is a reason I've sort of tuned out when someone mentions DC for the last twenty years.

BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote:Heh. That reminds me of the time I watched "I am legend". Can someone explain to me why they would remove the book ending, when that ending is what the title alludes to?

Luckily, it had Will Smith in it, who gets an instant redeem pass for any movie he makes, because I'd watch anything with him anyway :)
Ahh, damn. I watched that movie without reading the book. The part where the zombies/vampire/whatever built the trap made me go wtf?!? I didn't get that they were alluding to the book's ending, because they changed the movie ending. It took reading a list on cracked on last minute changes to movies that ruined the movie to realize what went on.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Yeah, the first half of the movie is amazing, but later on it kinda degenerates. And the ending is a HUGE missed opportunity for epicness. Oh well, that's hollywood for you.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Will Smith in serious roles, but he did well on this one.

@echo off epic games those. Wish the new syndicate wasn't an FPS ffs.
War..
War never changes.

Shengji

Post by Shengji »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: Also, I'm not a huge fan of Will Smith in serious roles, but he did well on this one..
I thought he was amazing in that one where he plays a wall street guy, I cried quite a lot during that movie!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Shengji wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote: Also, I'm not a huge fan of Will Smith in serious roles, but he did well on this one..
I thought he was amazing in that one where he plays a wall street guy, I cried quite a lot during that movie!
Yeah, Will Smith is really good as a serious actor