Minecraft mapping with real world terrain data!!!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
echo off

Minecraft mapping with real world terrain data!!!

Post by echo off »

Hi all, i just finished a tutorial for the MCforums, and wanted to share it here as well...
It will teach you how to obtain real world terrain data, accurate to about 10m, obtained via satellite
and then import that into a minecraft map!!!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/992 ... rain-data/

I'm really proud of myself... XD

let me know what you think!!
Urian

Re: Minecraft mapping with real world terrain data!!!

Post by Urian »

It looks very good! :) Now the task is to find the perfect place to map ;)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Oh dear christ, that's awesome. I'm assuming this doesn't generate ore, though. I may have to make a map based on the upper parts of michigan :D That way, when I go there (pretty regularly), I can be in northern michigan while I'm... Nevermind.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I was working on a similar thing a while back. Here's a better map to use:

http://www.shadedrelief.com/natural2/index.html

Has biomes and everything. I was thinking I'd make a terrain generator out of it, with proper biomes and ores.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

That is made of awesome, there have been countless times when I wished I had some realworld terrain in my minecraft maps.
Thanks.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
echo off

Post by echo off »

BinoAl, WorldPainter does has the option to generate ores randomly throughout your entire map. Or Tree's, or caves. Or you can paint them into the world specifically, but screw that.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Just gave it a whirl. Full details are on the MCF. EDIT: Screw it, I added it to this post too for those who avoid MCF like the wretched plague that it is

Good stuff man, good stuff.

Now for the record, I wasn't going for a big landmark or anything, I just ran some tests with the programs to see how it would work with Upstate New York and the Western Vermont border. And what it made was beautiful.

For feedback: The tutorial is written perfectly, I followed through word by word and it worked like a charm. The only part that led to any confusion for me was the 'play around with WorldPainter settings', but that's only because I played around with it a lot, and got some Alice in Wonderland level fucked up worlds. (Try generate caverns everywhere with caverns break surface, it makes some really cool cave structures, though it also leaves you with ugly flat 'block erroresque' walls in some places.)

So without further ado, the pics.

The mighty, mighty Mohawk River!!!
Spoiler
Show
Green Mountains of Vermont
Spoiler
Show
Misty Adirondack Valley (by misty, I mean view settings are on short here...)
Spoiler
Show
Adirondack Landscape
Spoiler
Show

Oh, and pay no attention to the texture pack, just a little sumthin' sumthin' I've been working on in my spare time, couldn't be bothered to take it off.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
echo off

Post by echo off »

hehe yeh i replied at MCF too...

just saying cheers and nice work... you help prove that it works which is really important, plus your maps are useful, rather than just a cool idea.

it was actually while reading about MinecraftEdu/Teachers and the 1:1 scale replica of Beijing city that made me tackle this again, which is why I started with Uluru. I figure teachers might like to be able to show their students cool real world environments that they'd be unlikely to get the chance to see while still at school. I can't make Beijing, or even just my hometown Melbourne, Aus... but even when it's not perfectly to scale, that Uluru map I generated feels kind of amazing, when you consider it's just one big rock.

oh, and to make this still BTW relevant (ok BTB relevant but don't kill me), Oil still generated in your world... wicked!! unless that's water, texture packs confuse me :)