How to fireproof your house from Cauldrons

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
blithen

How to fireproof your house from Cauldrons

Post by blithen »

I've burnt a good portion of my house TWICE in hopes to try and build a section of my house out of brick and put my cauldrons in there. Does anyone know how exactly to fireproof it? Or do I have to have it outside the house?
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
CheGiuAn

Re: How to fireproof your house from Cauldrons

Post by CheGiuAn »

As far as I know, the old half wooden blocks (the ones notch added along with the sandstone and cobblestone slabs) are fireproof (also more resistant against explosions like creeper or tnt). It's true that it costs the double this way (6 planks -> 3 blocks made of halfblocks), but it's quite effective.
(idk if the BTW slabs are fireproof too)
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
blithen

Post by blithen »

CheGiuAn wrote:As far as I know, the old half wooden blocks (the ones notch added along with the sandstone and cobblestone slabs) are fireproof (also more resistant against explosions like creeper or tnt). It's true that it costs the double this way (6 planks -> 3 blocks made of halfblocks), but it's quite effective.
I was hoping to make the area out of brick, but I guess I could also make the surronding area around the brick out of the halfblocks...I'll wait to hear some other suggestions, but thanks!
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

CheGiuAn wrote:As far as I know, the old half wooden blocks (the ones notch added along with the sandstone and cobblestone slabs) are fireproof (also more resistant against explosions like creeper or tnt). It's true that it costs the double this way (6 planks -> 3 blocks made of halfblocks), but it's quite effective.
Yes the wooden slabs are fireproof! I don't think panels stack! So your best bet would be the slabs.
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

well, you can also build wooden house from vertical panels (place dirt block place panel on one side, delete the dirt block) This way you can build nice narrow-walled houses :)
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

Urian

Post by Urian »

No, the wooden slabs are not fireproof. This was changed in beta 1.6 and burned down many many buildings... If you want to have your cauldron indoors then you need to keep wood and wool away from it. Most BTW wood blocks are also susceptible to fire (axles aren't).

Personally I've got my cauldrons outdoor but that's because my base is set up as a surface base, a large area with walls and lit up so no mobs can spawn (except on my spawning pads of course).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

Urian wrote:No, the wooden slabs are not fireproof. This was changed in beta 1.6 and burned down many many buildings... If you want to have your cauldron indoors then you need to keep wood and wool away from it. Most BTW wood blocks are also susceptible to fire (axles aren't).

Personally I've got my cauldrons outdoor but that's because my base is set up as a surface base, a large area with walls and lit up so no mobs can spawn (except on my spawning pads of course).
They aren't? That's news to me. I will go try that.

Edit: Just tried and half slabs alone will not even light and 2half slabs will light but will not burn away.
Last edited by Sky_Som on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

You'll need at least 4 or 5 blocks between an Hibachi and some wood.
Once I even got some wool catching fire 8 blocks above an Hibachi, so make some test I guess :p
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

I don't know exactly, but I think there is a 5x5x5 space around a hibachi that should stay free of inflamable blocks.
You best bet is to conduct some outdoor experiments on how big this area really is and than build a large enough fire place so you don't burn down your hut.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Urian

Post by Urian »

Sky_Som wrote: They aren't? That's news to me. I will go try that.
I can't say for certain about single wooden half steps but two placed on top of each other will at least burn.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Just keep wood away. I'm using stone walls and a brick roof. I'm currently using wooden stairs as part of the roof but seeing as how I've burnt my roof off twice, I need to increase the height or replace it with cobblestone stairs/panels. Of course that comes after fixing the damage from 3 creepers blowing up in my redstone for the hibachis last night as i was trying to add bellows. (I have 3 sets of 3x3 hibachis each set with its own switch.)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

just make one panic room out of obsidin then put it in there. :)
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

Wooden stairs ar also NOT fireproof, so if you build your roof from stairs, be warned.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This is all due to the base-game fire-code actually. Not really related to the Hibachi or Cauldron.

One thing I noticed is that fire seems to catch objects above it at a *MUCH* greater distance than to the sides. I had a Hopper at least 5+ blocks over a Cauldron go up in flames when I stoked the fire under it, while Gear Boxes only 2-3 blocks to the sides of the fire remained safe.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

similar question, is it possible, that the wood will flame up? (the stone walls height & length doesnt matter, but it's like irl fire can't spread through)(the fire and the wooden block are right next to the wall)(wood -> w, stone wall -> s, fire -> f)
w
s s s
f

and what's the matter in this situation?

w s s s
s f
s
s

CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

actually tested.
The first example seems safe, but the 2nd not
Spoiler
Show
I used 3 block of birch wood, and after a while the top one cought fire

Edit: The other flameable stuff in the corner will gradually burn
Last edited by CheGiuAn on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I had this situation a few days ago with my newly built airship. Had in it a cobble room with the hibachi and couldron in it and left to go mine while food was cooking, i came back to find 3/4 of my ship gone and 1/4 in flames... thank god for world backups :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Deepsniper wrote:I had this situation a few days ago with my newly built airship. Had in it a cobble room with the hibachi and couldron in it and left to go mine while food was cooking, i came back to find 3/4 of my ship gone and 1/4 in flames... thank god for world backups :)
Dude, you just recreated the Hindenburg disaster. Why on earth would you restore a backup? :)
BuLLZ3Y3

Post by BuLLZ3Y3 »

Are the flames from a Hibachi grill different than the flames from burning netherrack? I built a simple fireplace (My house wasn't designed with redstone in mind, so I haven't updated it to cauldrons and hibachi yet) and while I originally had problems with the fire spreading, I just surrounded the fire with stone slabs and cobble stone, and called it good. :)

Here's a pic to show you.
Spoiler
Show
-BuLLZ3Y3
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

http://www.phoenixminecraft.com/threads ... hysics.84/

This is a nice guide for how fire works in minecraft.
petrus4

Post by petrus4 »

I've never had a problem with needing to fireproof a house in Minecraft. I played World of Warcraft for four years, and I learned architectural design from the Orcs. ;)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

after reading all this i realized that when i want to add a new cauldron to my base i make a cookshack that is made outta cobblestone (walls) and Cobble Slabs (roof) then there are habachi's in the floor that i hook up to a switch that i can turn them on and off (hurr-durr) So with this shack i have never run into the problem of a fire... altho its a bit of a walk from the mine to the cook shack >_>

OH and good luck with your ... fireproofing

PS: make sure to test a lot >:D

EDIT: for all those that dont know what a cookshack is... its a seperate building that is used to gut deer and other animals then cook and smoke thier meat!! (atleast thats what all the cookshacks out here do!)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Lighthouse wrote:http://www.phoenixminecraft.com/threads ... hysics.84/

This is a nice guide for how fire works in minecraft.
Nice tip, thanks for the link :)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

FlowerChild wrote:
Deepsniper wrote:I had this situation a few days ago with my newly built airship. Had in it a cobble room with the hibachi and couldron in it and left to go mine while food was cooking, i came back to find 3/4 of my ship gone and 1/4 in flames... thank god for world backups :)
Dude, you just recreated the Hindenburg disaster. Why on earth would you restore a backup? :)

I'd just put my schematic back in using MCEdit, I always backup my nice buildings and stuff because if i loose it like i lost that one then it isnt as bad...
noppa354

Post by noppa354 »

I think something somewhere said that flames on netherrock (yes I call it that, it makes more sense) don't spread... so try netherrock and flint&steel instead of hibachi grills and redstone.