This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

How are you guys and girls are going this year?

For my it is quite shitty, although horoscope, tarot & other related mystic things (still i look upon these kind of things quite sceptic) say that this year will be good, full O' love blahblahblah.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Gilberreke

Re: 2012

Post by Gilberreke »

Pity all research so far proves that they don't actually predict anything :/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Theres no proof that they work, I just try and avoid most superstitious things...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Regardless if the mystical stuff has weight or not, I think it's really hard to judge a year by the first 17 days without something catastrophic happening.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

You know why they say the world is ending in 2012? It's the end of the Mayan calendar. That's right. The apocalypse is coming because the Mayans didn't want to make a calendar that covers the rest of eternity ^.^
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

BinoAl wrote:You know why they say the world is ending in 2012? It's the end of the Mayan calendar. That's right. The apocalypse is coming because the Mayans didn't want to make a calendar that covers the rest of eternity ^.^
Yeah I never got that one tbh. It's like saying the whole IT industry would have ended in 2000 because they forgot to make the date scale beyond 2k or the UNIX apocalypse in 2038. I guess most ppl wouldn't even have heared of it by the time of it actually happening, were it not for that lame movie which made it a meme.

As for the year itself so far: Its hard to say. There really wasn't alot of time for stuff to change, especially considering that I'm not working in accounting (they usually claim new year is hell on earth) and most of the important stuff happens during the summer months for me.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I've always heard that it's just the point at which the Mayan calendar rolled over, like how at the end of each year our calendars go from December to January.

As to the year - the only difference I've noticed is that I've finally gotten a job offer. Highly doubt it has anything to do with the new year, though.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

I have some suspects as to what the end of existence will be catalyzed by. And one of them is ponies, funnily enough. But overall, I'm 99% sure we'll all be hanging around in 2013. And if not, then nice knowing you all.

As for the year on a personal note, my life has been turned around drastically. All probably really boring stuff, but let's just say that the next few years aren't looking as bleak as the last eighteen were.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kwilt wrote:I have some suspects as to what the end of existence will be catalyzed by. And one of them is ponies, funnily enough. But overall, I'm 99% sure we'll all be hanging around in 2013. And if not, then nice knowing you all.
One of my all time favorite RPG's was set in 2013. Fittingly, it was called: "Cyberpunk 2013".

I'll be sorely disappointed if I don't get my cybernetic laser-shooting eye-implants on schedule, and considering that doesn't seem too likely, hopefully the Mayans are right so I don't have to suffer the inevitable let-down :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:One of my all time favorite RPG's was set in 2013. Fittingly, it was called: "Cyberpunk 2013".

I'll be sorely disappointed if I don't get my cybernetic laser-shooting eye-implants on schedule, and considering that doesn't seem too likely, hopefully the Mayans are right so I don't have to suffer the inevitable let-down :)
Weird, I played a bit one called "Cyberpunk 2020". I wonder if they are related...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: Weird, I played a bit one called "Cyberpunk 2020". I wonder if they are related...
2020 was the second edition of 2013. I played it as well, but IMO, while it was still good, it wasn't as good as the original as they kinda nerfed the combat system to make it less deadly, which was one of the appeals of it when it first came out (it was pretty much the deadliest RPG around at the time of its release). It also seemed to lose some of its thematic edge, and there was some definite cheese creeping into the world that wasn't present in the original.

Also, the original looked like it was printed off a laser-printer in someone's basement, which definitely gave it an edge the second one didn't have. It was one of those exceedingly rare instances where low production values actually contribute to the feel of a game :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Nerfed the combat system? Really? Lol, I guess I just sucked at tabletop RPG's, I died so fast in the few times I played this game it wasn't even funny :P I'm more of a Gurps player.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Nerfed the combat system? Really? Lol, I guess I just sucked at tabletop RPG's, I died so fast in the few times I played this game it wasn't even funny :P I'm more of a Gurps player.
It was still deadly, just not as much so as the first. I had a 2013 character that I managed to keep alive through a couple of real world years of regular gaming that was my pride and joy, and the envy of my gaming group (each other member had gone through several characters during that time).

He was a decker (hacker type), which generally kept him out of firefights (which definitely helped his survivability), but he had even been shot in the head once with a low-caliber weapon and survived with brain-damage. I loved that aspect of the character, as he had a shit-ton of experience, so was still a damn good hacker, but he was never quite as sharp as he had been previous to that incident ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

jorgebonafe wrote:I'm more of a Gurps player.
Evil Uncle Stevie thanks you. *bow*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

FlowerChild wrote:One of my all time favorite RPG's was set in 2013. Fittingly, it was called: "Cyberpunk 2013".

Well, thankfully we have another half a decade before my dreams of a Jetsons-esque world are crushed. I want to run on a treadmill that will kill me if I fall off.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Tuv

Post by Tuv »

You should be thankful you didnt try Cyberpunk 20XX.
One of the shitiest RPG i've ever played.

We did something like "Guy's there is a new CP!! Yeah i know. Let's get the old squad together and play once again! "
And after this evening, we decided, that in our memories, it was more fun. :(

So now i have my old CP2020 (didnt play 2013) collection.... copy, of a copy, of a copy, with a little pieces of orginal cover ;P
It's a nice memory. Acid rain pouring from a snow crash colored sky. Armalite 44 in my hand. Kerenzikov neural booster working his magic. A little old asian guy plaing on shamisen, and watching some corp solo who is going to shoot me in a second. And on the wall, big haiku, from Neil Stephensons - Cryptonomicon (great book btw.)

This is my rifle
There are many like it but
This one is mine.

I miss my RPG ;(

To not offtopic totaly.
Mayan were right. Its 2012 and they are gone. So its one "end of the world" for them.... in some way. Well.. they were right not planing nothing after this date.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Lol, the Mayans aren't gone, they're still alive in the hills of Mexico :p

From Wikipedia:
"The Maya peoples never disappeared, neither at the time of the Classic period decline nor with the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores and the subsequent Spanish colonization of the Americas. Today, the Maya and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideas and cultures. Many Mayan languages continue to be spoken as primary languages today."
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

Gilberreke wrote:Lol, the Mayans aren't gone, they're still alive in the hills of Mexico :p

From Wikipedia:
"The Maya peoples never disappeared, neither at the time of the Classic period decline nor with the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores and the subsequent Spanish colonization of the Americas. Today, the Maya and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideas and cultures. Many Mayan languages continue to be spoken as primary languages today."
They wouldn't happen to be the same people I heard of, who were in a way "re-discovered" recently, who became rather noteworthy as they're known as super-marathon mountain runners? I'm not asking you to research for me or anything, though.

I thought that story was amazing. The funny part is they just wear a flap of leather on the bottom of their feet instead of shoes and never get stress injuries. Makes me want to go out and run again.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

They weren't rediscovered. The Mayans never went anywhere. That's an urban legend. The Mayans just stayed where they were and are still living there. In fact, if you know a Mexican, chances are pretty big he's like 10% Mayan.