Perfectin' a Dispenser!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Slev

Re: Surefire Dispensers, a more accurate dispenser.

Post by Slev »

I did it! Took me longer than I care to admit to realize how to work around the pre-built function. I decided to allow for slight variation in firing (using a similar gaussian approach to the default script.) As of now, it can accurately hit a one block area at least 15 blocks away, but it can easily be made to fire perfectly straight in the x/z plane.

Edit: Just recompiled and it does not interfere in any way with BTW, which means this can be used in conjunction for the original purpose I had in mind.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

Does that mean that if you were to fire a dispenser straight up or down, that you've made (or intend to) make it so that it'll hit at about the same spot it was fired from (if up) or not hit the sides of the shaft on the way (if down)? I've been looking for an effective and quick way to send a signal down. Since a single shot from the dispenser would be a fairly fast way of sending a signal straight down, I'm pretty sure I'll have to play with your little mod for at least a little while.

That, and and using small pointy missiles as a way of sending messages just seems neat.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Slev

Post by Slev »

Well, currently it still behaves mostly like a regular dispenser. Basically, if you imagine the dispenser having a cone of fire like a gun would in an fps, I made that cone much much tighter.

Edit: Currently, no it would not send a message straight down, it still fires outward like a regular dispenser, just more accurately. If there's interest, it might be possible to make a set of dispensers, a standard one, one that fires straight down, and one that fires straight up.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

When I first saw the original suggestion, that was what I was most interested in, but that's solely due to my current build, as I've migrated back to my original world with the released of BTB. I can think of some fairly interesting traps using the horizontal dispenser, but the downward fire is what I was personally interested in.

I still think there's a decent amount of merit for this to be included in BTW itself (Soul urns in Battosay's Ghast Farm, or the other items previously mentioned in this thread), but I will bow to FC's choice of you supporting this yourself.

However you decide to work with this, I await to see what you come up with.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Slev

Post by Slev »

I'll most likely work on creating my own custom dispenser over the next week. I'm new to modding so just adjusting the firing pattern on the default dispenser was an interesting challenge. I hadn't thought about perfectly vertical communication until you brought it up, but it's definitely something worth looking in to adding. As for being in BTW or not, I'll keep any additions I make compatible with BTW as the main purpose of this mod hinges on the DB.
Fracture

Re: Perfectin' a Dispenser!

Post by Fracture »

If you plan to make, as you had originally envisioned, a sort of "Surefire Dispenser" I could texture one for you if you wish.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Slev

Post by Slev »

That would be great as I have no skills in texturing. Once I get a working coded model of the dispenser(s) I'll shoot you a pm.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Alrighty, once you do I can whip up something to suit your needs. Like the BD it'll be simple but easy to distinguish from typical dispensers.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.