Wireless Redstone and BTW Part 1

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Damion Rayne

Wireless Redstone and BTW Part 1

Post by Damion Rayne »

Coming are some pictures, and soon a video or two showing off a base I've been designing in Creative mode as a "proof of concept" to myself more than anyone else. But in this I'd like to discuss the uses of wireless redstone that I've come to love so far. The first is the breaking and control of this Elevator,
Spoiler
Show
Now the basics you see and understand so far, at least I'll assume as much. A very stock standard two pulley, waterwheel, cargo/freight elevator. What you don't see is the Block Dispenser Flip Flop linked to a wireless redstone receiver. This receiver has a partner transmitter that is connected to a button at the entrance and both sub-floors of the facility. Each time a button is pressed a wireless signal is sent to the BD-Flip/Flop and either engages or dis-engages mechanical power raising or lowering the elevator. Now the breaking mechanism I've used is a set of Pistons linked to a BD-Flip/Flop and a wireless receiver/transmitter pair. At the entrance you select your floor with a button push, thus remotely engaging the piston breaks. Then you walk on the elevator, hit the main power engage button and it proceeds to what ever floor has the piston breaks turned on, stopping when the platform comes in contact with said piston breaks.

For those unaware as to what a BD-Flip/Flop is, I first learned of it watching batto use it to create a Bio-Clock for automated hemp harvesting, we'll get to that other example of wireless redstone later. Below is the BD-Flip/Flop controlling the Elevator's decent/ascent,
Spoiler
Show
Now, some of you might wonder how this works..most vets wont, but here's the explanation..

Step One: Power applied to Transmitter via Button+Repeater assembly.
Step Two: Transmitter sends signal to Receiver
Step Three: Receiver takes signal and converts it to redstone power
Step Four: Redstone power from Receiver causes one Not-gate to invert.
Step Five: Inversion of Not-gate forces Block Dispenser to Cycle Inventory and leave current inventory cycle placed in the world.
Step Six: This either causes a redstone current to travel to the main gearbox and disable it, thus lowering the elevator down, or, deactivates a redstone signal engaging the main gearbox and pulling the elevator up.

This whole process can be done wireless without the need for vertical transmission, thus making elevator control much easier to manage.

Note: Glass does not carry a redstone current, most full blocks do.
Last edited by Damion Rayne on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
FurkeyRefills

Re: Wireless Redstone and BTW Part 1

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Can you put those images in spoilers please, stops peoples web browser from dying ;)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Done. :)
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

I respect other's opinion, but I think this mod is far too OP to be used. I think it's much more rewarding to do it the old fashioned way than using this mod.
But anyway, it sure simplifies the thing a lot ^^
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Gormador wrote:I respect other's opinion, but I think this mod is far too OP to be used. I think it's much more rewarding to do it the old fashioned way than using this mod.
Yeah, I agree, Wireless Redstone feels like downright cheating to me, but that's personal opinion of course
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Gilberreke wrote:
Gormador wrote:I respect other's opinion, but I think this mod is far too OP to be used. I think it's much more rewarding to do it the old fashioned way than using this mod.
Yeah, I agree, Wireless Redstone feels like downright cheating to me, but that's personal opinion of course
It feels a bit over the top, which i why I used RedPower for the 12-story rather than wireless. It would have been so much easier with wireless, but not nearly as rewarding. I think that winds up killing some mods is that they get too broken and it takes all the fun out of things to just be given your success on a platter.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Again this all comes down to personal opinion. To me trying to do things the old fashioned way, with vertical transmission is more a pain in my ass and a annoyance then anything else. I can't use redpower because FC and Elo aren't getting along anymore and I can't use forge mods. Otherwise I'd just run wires up a maintenance shaft and be done with it. Wireless redstone isn't OP in any sense of the word given that you can't just up and make them without at least getting some Iron and at least getting some redstone. Each item from the transmitter, to the remote has a cost in redstone, that I'll grant, isn't huge. This means before you can create your fantastical wireless contraptions you at least have to go digging for iron and redstone. Not to mention the wireless remote has durability and breaks.

Now again this is all personal opinion, but just like I said to people who said that Equiv Exchange was "OP",

"Stop using TMI and try the mod out legitimately before saying it's op."

Anyway that's just me, I'll be showing it off in tandem with BTW a bit more later.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

To me, it's pretty OP in terms of cost. If you were planning on having just one point where power is being transmitted, it's only 9 redstone and 8 iron. That's not a lot, when you consider the amount of redstone it would take you if you did it with vanilla redstone mechanics and that it doesn't even require something like LOS.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Well, you are all entitled to your opinions, even if I vehemently disagree with them. There are several things in BTW that can be termed "Overpowered". Not to mention any mod breaks the game, in terms that mods are not currently officially supported, and most mods add things that vMC was not designed to interact with at it's inception. I'm not a redstone genius and I'm not going to bother with long winded pain in the ass solutions to things that can be done in a simpler fashion.

My current multi-floor elevator design works as follows,

Two Transmitters for floor selection, link to two Receivers.
Three Transmitters to call the elevator at each floor, linked to one Receiver powering my BD Flip-flop.

In total that's 5 transmitters and 3 receivers.

Or..
20 Pieces of Redstone, 20 Pieces of Iron and 5 Redstone torches for the transmitters, and 12 redstone 12 iron and 3 levers.

All of this working in tandem allows me to have a working multi floor elevator system with remote call buttons without having to go through the process of setting up multiple flip-flops and vertical transmission circuits. But to each their own and if you like doing it that way all the better because that's fun for you. I like doing it this way, and when I bring up several automated BTW production systems controlled remotely by one bio-clock, well that will just be cool as far as I'm concerned. :)
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development