New Release! (BTW 2.80)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Thieme

Re: New Release! (BTW 2.80)

Post by Thieme »

Urian wrote:
Thieme wrote:I tried this but i can't seem to keep my fire stoked do i have to use multiple alternating bellows or is this some mod incompatability? (havent found any so far at least not for the baseclasses :/) Also at what height above the hibachi do you have your cauldron? Tried both above the normal fire and above the stoked fire neither worked.
I use a hand crank since I've only experimented so far. The bellow blows out (through the hole) directly at the fire so your hibachi or netherrack should be placed one level lower than the bellow.
I have that i'll post a pic of my setup
Spoiler
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

Marmalade_Smile wrote:I'm not sure how to keep the fire stoked either - the cauldron starts cooking (the flame icon starts filling up), but then empties again.

I've been trying to set up repeating clocks using turntables (to keep pumping the bellows), but this doesn't seem to be doing the trick.
This is a very easy setup that is makes the bellow pump every second:
Spoiler
Show
There is only one redstone torch, when it turns it becomes placed over the redstone wiring that makes the turntable change direction. The redstone power is broken and the cycle repeats itself.

EDIT: Oh, and the flame doesn't show up if you've got a cauldron above it, it's just there. Without a cauldron it looks like this:
Spoiler
Show
(The flame is constantly stoked)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

ahh definatly a problem with my install then because my flame doesnt stay stoked :/ I just have no idea where the cause is atm.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Thieme wrote:ahh definatly a problem with my install then because my flame doesnt stay stoked :/ I just have no idea where the cause is atm.
I guess your turntable is connected to mechanical and it's simply covered up? :)

Make sure that your bellow is facing the right direction. There is a square hole on one side, make sure that hole is turned towards the flames.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Durandir

Post by Durandir »

Shouldn't this work?

When the turntable run at full speed everything moves too fast for the bellows to react. Yet as far as I can see it looks exactly like yours, at least in how it works. When I put the speed down on the turntable, the bellows manage to stoke the fire, but not fast enough.
Haven't had the chance to try out the turntable much, so might be me who just doesn't get it.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

I have the same problem. The bellows are defineatly facing in the right direction, the stoked flame appears for about 0.1 sec and then just vanishes. I build 2 bellows with a turntable rotating in between ( 5 blocks below the hibatchi) which interrupts the gearboxes every 2nd tick (two redstone torches on each oposing side of the rotating block).
I tried disabling one of the bellows as well but the fire keeps popping up for a fraction of a second and then vanishes again.

Maybe there is a mod conflict here ? What other mods do you use Thieme ? I use wireless redstone (signal delay is a bitch for proper elevators until we get lenses) and toomanyitems (for the sake of testing).

PS: Great mod which made me get rid of all other conflicting mods :)
building machines > random weapons and gimmiks.
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

Yup and i had the hole to the right direction my flame "grows" but doesnt stay that way. And when i have a cauldron above with the ingredients to make the new stuff like bones and leather it doesn't show it's cooking.

While writing this post i came up with the idea to try netherrack and surprisingly this just work only the hibachi doesnt work for me.

Edit: @Haidaes I have quite a lot of mods including the two you mentioned. Will try to do some testing.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

Lol, more simple, but not so automatic, you'll have to press the button, when you see that the Bellow went down again.
Just place 5 netherracks in a shape of '+' and light 'em. Above the middle one, after an air block (space for the fire) comes the cauldron, as you can see on the pic.
Spoiler
Show

Edit: 'The two most important thing in the developing of science are: Curiosity and Laziness'
And I'm too lazy to learn how the redstune stuffs work >.<
Last edited by CheGiuAn on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
Durandir

Post by Durandir »

No mod conflict with my game at least, as I only use this one. I can see the fire symbol in the Cauldron moving as well when the fire is stoked, but it descends again right away. Just tried with netherrack, and it worked for me as well. So I guess this is some kind of bug with the hibachi. I'll stop cluttering this thread with that then.

Oh, anyone tried using the Haft with the bellows? Maybe it can be attached so that you can use it manually? Or maybe it's just a teaser for the next update.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I havent tried playing around with it, i only just woke up,but it seems like you could set a turntable timer to the .5 sec rotation, place a redstone torch on it, connect a wire with an inverter on it and send that to the bellow in front of the hibachi, this seems like it would "re-pump" the bellows, but again i havnt actually tried it so im not sure if it would work or not.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Thieme wrote:Yup and i had the hole to the right direction my flame "grows" but doesnt stay that way. And when i have a cauldron above with the ingredients to make the new stuff like bones and leather it doesn't show it's cooking.

While writing this post i came up with the idea to try netherrack and surprisingly this just work only the hibachi doesnt work for me.

Edit: @Haidaes I have quite a lot of mods including the two you mentioned. Will try to do some testing.
Ok I can confirm that as well, netherrak works just fine. Its only the hibatchi's flame that wont stay stoked.
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

And if you lit the hibachi using flint and steel (it won't stay on that way ofc) you see that also works ;)
Marmalade_Smile

Post by Marmalade_Smile »

Yep. I just tried a new install (Minecraft + Modloader + TMI + Better than Wolves) and this seems to work fine with Netherrack, but not the Hibachi, which I assume is a bug.

With the Hibachi, any mechanical power (hand crank or otherwise) will start filling in the flame icon on the cauldron, but then the icon will empty again. With netherrack there isn't an issue, as the flame will fill as it is supposed to.
Haniale

Post by Haniale »

Hibachi bad, netherack good for me too.

I think I found the use for the shaft, but I can't be sure: Apparently it duplicates horses!
Spoiler
Show
I'm so glad it didn't duplicate Rarity to the left there: Two of those would be a nightmare. Made raw chops out of that pig pretty good too.

I also tried using it on the bellows(connected to mech, redstone, and none in all combinations), from all sides, and nothing. Does not stir cauldrons, and does not appear to be used in tool combinations as a replacement for sticks - I even tried making a spear from flint(Flint, haft, haft from top to bottom) and didn't get a cow stabber.

It looks like a teaser, to be used as a recipe, or possibly as a better axel(note: Does not work in axel recipe either.
Marmalade_Smile

Post by Marmalade_Smile »

The bellows also seem to keep wood burning indefinitely (perhaps because the fire's state is being updated constantly?) - at least when they're automated.

This means that glue is available at a much lower tech level, since you just need wood, iron, flint and cow.

(Plus, Hemp ropes for axles and redstone for gearboxes, unless this has changed since I last checked.)
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Last time I had to create a haft in a game was to make a (at the time) badass axe 0.o it will be interesting to see what uses come out for this item..
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Lubrication:
Early in the development of steam-driven piston engines the hot vapors and liquids washed away most lubricants very quickly. It was soon found that tallow was quite resistant to this washing. Tallow, and compounds including tallow were widely used to lubricate locomotive and steamship engines at least until the 1950's.
:DDDDDDDDDDD
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Al, I love you and your Wikipedia skills.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
gumbyscout

Post by gumbyscout »

You can also make glue using bones. It consumes 8 bones to make one glue.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Woot ! I didn't even saw this post untill now :o
New release, awesome !
I'll try this right now :)
And bellows ... I can see where you're going ;)

As always, thanks man !
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Woot ! I didn't even saw this post untill now :o
New release, awesome !
I'll try this right now :)
And bellows ... I can see where you're going ;)

As always, thanks man !
You're welcome dude :)

I just woke up, but as many of you have correctly surmised there appears to be a bug with the Hibachi and stoked fire. My apologies for that guys. I was testing with Netherrack and because the Hibachi functions largely in the same way, I assumed it would be working as well.

Bad assumption on my part, and again, my apologies for making such an oversight. Will get a new release out as quickly as possible to rectify that. Until then, use netherrack.

As for the icons for the Glue and Tallow, those are just placeholder. As I've done many times in the past, I worry about functionality first, then take care of the visual details later once I'm sure everything is working right. The idea of putting ALL bitmaps that I reuse from the game into separate files is not a practical one as the mod would then use more sprite indices than the game has available.

You guys are definitely on the right track, but you haven't quite figured all of it out yet from what I can tell ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Thank you Flower, for your punishing update schedule. You sexy hunk of modder you.

But yes... lots of new ideas to play with in my head, and lots of wondering what hafts are going to be for. :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ice Fyre

Post by Ice Fyre »

So Far through personal Experiment I have found that

16 Feathers = 1 Glue
8 Bones = 1 Glue
8 Straps = 1 Glue
1 Tanned Leather = 1 Glue
1 Scoured Leather = 1 Glue
1 Leather = 1 Glue

1 Raw Porkchop =1 Tallow
1 Cooked Porkchop = 1 Tallow
1 Raw Wolfchop = 1 Tallow
1 Cooked Wolfchop = 1 Tallow

Still Experimenting with what I have around my base :)

Quick edit had a mistype 8 not 6 and Checked the Wolf Chop :)
Last edited by Ice Fyre on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ice Fyre wrote:So Far through personal Experiment I have found that

16 Feathers = 1 Glue
8 Bones = 1 Glue
6 Straps = 1 Glue
1 Tanned Leather = 1 Glue
1 Scoured Leather = 1 Glue
1 Leather = 1 Glue

1 Raw Porkchop =1 Tallow
1 Cooked Porkchop = 1 Tallow

Still Experimenting with what I have around my base :)
Almost there, except it's 8 straps ;)
Ice Fyre

Post by Ice Fyre »

Edited my original message to correct number of straps mistype ftl and added the Wolfchop to the Tallow list :)