ipodmail does a review of Better Than Wolves

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Yamboyz1

Re: ipodmail does a review of Better Than Wolves

Post by Yamboyz1 »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
Yamboyz1 wrote:
You could edit the first post and add the new videos there. It would make it easier for everytone soo the the links.
Good idea. I'll do that now.

Sorry for not putting in your name, but I don't know how to write "jorgebonafe said" only the actual quote....
Could someone tell me how to do that?
You see the quote at the bottom right of each post, click that and you can quote what they said.
Thanks
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Sorry i haven't updated this in a while, and I'm also really sorry I'm necroing this thread, but I had forgot about it and he already finished the series so I just thought I'd let you all know that I updated the OP with all the links to the videos. Sorry for posting on such an old thread.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Pretty bad review as usual. He doesn't pronounce any of the items correct, which aggravates me a lot :/
He skipped a lot of stuff (Kiln? Buddy?), explained a lot of stuff wrong (rapid pulser for the bellows), etc.

Also seemed totally rushed at the end. Meh.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I haven't gotten to watching all of them (only just started the automation one), but there is a bit of misinformation, like a claim that nobody has videos explaining how to use it. Now, I'm pretty sure that Batto's done videos that explain how to use the mod, and they've been more informative than these videos.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Between the wiki and Battosays extensive series of videos, there's really no excuse for the amount of misinformation in this series. It made me sad when I watched it. For reals.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I was watching a 24h BTW stream this past few days and even with the wiki open on another screen, the guy didn't fare much better than this review guy. For most people, BTW is simply too difficult to work with it seems :/

The guy I watched claimed to be "good at redstone", yet he didn't even manage to make pistons fire after a button press, without his stream viewers helping him :/

A comment that seemed to come back a few times from the viewers was "is this this drug mod?"
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I think the problem lies with vanilla minecraft and it's redstone system. The game lacks of obvious user feedback to why redstone works the way it does and BTW's reliance on it for automation throws many people. I know I had difficulty the first time I tried to wire up a complex redstone device and I'm a software engineer. LOTS of trial and error.

That said, now that I understand redstone the game and BTW are significantly more fun. Hell, I wouldn't have really ever bothered to learn redstone if it weren't for BTW.

The "that drug mod" comments however is just people showing their ignorance and stupidity. Nothing new there.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Mr_Hosed wrote:I know I had difficulty the first time I tried to wire up a complex redstone device and I'm a software engineer. LOTS of trial and error
Any boolean system with a NOT gate is turing complete basically, so as a programmer it shouldn't have given you problems. What part was hard to understand for you? I'm just curious
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Gilberreke wrote:
Mr_Hosed wrote:I know I had difficulty the first time I tried to wire up a complex redstone device and I'm a software engineer. LOTS of trial and error
Any boolean system with a NOT gate is turing complete basically, so as a programmer it shouldn't have given you problems. What part was hard to understand for you? I'm just curious
peculiarities of the system probably. Like torches powering dust on blocks above them, or redstone not powering an object if it turns before, or how sometimes redstone powers through blocks, but not in other situations you think it might.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Gilberreke wrote:...What part was hard to understand for you? I'm just curious
The difficulty of redstone lies in the crazy physical layout mechanics. For instance, when is power going into a block or just skirting the top of it. When is a space powered by a torch. Why is a torch powering the block above and not the block below. Why does a vertical wiring line work if the torches are on top of the blocks, but not when torches are on the side of blocks. Stuff like that.

The circuitry is extremely simple to understand. Anyone who has taken an entry level logics or electronics course has more then enough knowledge to understand that.

If minecraft used a halo effect on blocks that are recieving power (even just a redstone partical effect) I suspect most people would have a much easier time of it. The system lacks any direct obvious feedback aside from the wires themselves lighting up.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, I guess it takes some getting used to the block powering stuff
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Gilberreke wrote:Yeah, I guess it takes some getting used to the block powering stuff
It's not the most intuitive system out there ;) After you build your first automatic farm in BTW though you should have it down pretty well.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Mr_Hosed wrote:It's not the most intuitive system out there ;) After you build your first automatic farm in BTW though you should have it down pretty well.
Yeah, that's the thing though, from most videos I watched, that doesn't seem to be true. People muck about until it somehow works, next project, exactly the same. They don't seem to analyze WHY something works, they just assume it's magic
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

I tried to watch them all...but i failed.
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY INACCURACIES/LEFT OUT STUFF!
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I watched it through, and...yeah. Eye didn't stop twitching.

It's nice to get a review by someone popular, but next time lets invite them here to....you know, do a Q&A first. Tbh, outside of vMC dispensers, why would anyone use a burnout pulser for anything :s
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
razar51

Post by razar51 »

I'm watching these videos, and every video has a few instances where I blurt out "No! It doesn't work like that!" or "You're explaining it wrong!".

I suppose that someone who has never fully gone through the tech tree would make those incorrect assumptions though
(I probably made some of them as well).
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Yeah, he is making SO many mistakes...
plus, he hasn't shown the Block Dispenser or the cement, two cool aspects of the mod.
Actually, he also missed the BUDdy block, the aesthetic blocks, the soul urns, the kiln...

Anyway, he ended the series.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

itamarcu wrote:Yeah, he is making SO many mistakes...
plus, he hasn't shown the Block Dispenser or the cement, two cool aspects of the mod.
Actually, he also missed the BUDdy block, the aesthetic blocks, the soul urns, the kiln...

Anyway, he ended the series.
So pretty much he missed 90% of the Best of Better Than Wolves outside of mech power? Glad I didn't watch... I would have probably broke something.
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sky_Som wrote: So pretty much he missed 90% of the Best of Better Than Wolves outside of mech power? Glad I didn't watch... I would have probably broke something.
I get the impression he just kinda gave up when he hit the more complex automation systems. Given the way he handled timing on the Bellows, I was kinda happy he did ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Given the way he handled timing on the Bellows, I was kinda happy he did ;)
My god, I was almost screaming at my screen, that was painful to watch :/
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

ITT:
Spoiler
Show
I kid, I kid. It's not THAT bad; just someone who's not as hyperadjusted (not a word) to redstone/mechanical power's idiosyncrasies as we are.
What Strange Devices!
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

:( I finally watch all the videos. Like many others I think I swore more at my screen then I ever have lol. TBH I really think he shouldn't have had considered it a review and just went and called it a preview. It seems to me that he really doesn't know what he is doing on any of his videos, he also asked for like, comments, and favorites more then anyone I have ever watched on youtube.

Non the less bad or good video of BTW helps bring more players in and that's always good.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

kregoth wrote:Non the less bad or good video of BTW helps bring more players in and that's always good.
Why is that a good thing? FlowerChild is not in it for money or popularity.

I would personally prefer 1 decent new forum member over 1000 new players with no idea of what BTW is about
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Yes but there are bound to be a few Decent members in those 1000 people. I really should talk to my QubeTuber guys and get something set up for an interview for modders I would love to get one of FC during a live stream with chat interaction for some kind of mod developer appreciation event or something weird like that..
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

kregoth wrote:Yes but there are bound to be a few Decent members in those 1000 people. I really should talk to my QubeTuber guys and get something set up for an interview for modders I would love to get one of FC during a live stream with chat interaction for some kind of mod developer appreciation event or something weird like that..

I find it sad that appreciating mod developers is weird.

And I'm with Gil. I'd rather have a single good member of the community join on their own than have to wade through hundreds of idiots to find them.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.