A liquid for the nether

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DaveYanakov

A liquid for the nether

Post by DaveYanakov »

Something that won't evaporate or incinerate items. Basically a form of water that has either been treated to make a higher boiling point or something else entirely. Could be more viscous to make up for it with a shorter flow distance or slower flow rate. Toxicity when the player touches it would be welcome. It should also be expensive enough that making more than one or two source blocks would make a beggar of a king.

Or you know, just be more expensive than it's worth to make more than the one or two you would need to automate a nether base.
Better is the enemy of Good
grimper12341

Re: A liquid for the nether

Post by grimper12341 »

Tsk tsk dave you should know better :P

FC has stated that as the nether is more important now, he's considering implementing some sort of transport system for it, possibly a liquid but maybe something more creative idk.
Don't have the link to where he said it but you can search his posts easy enough.

EDIT: Actually we're allowed to discuss it now at least...forgot that.

If lava could be made to push a certain type of block around, that (single) block could be used as a platform to transport items instead of having them in the liquid itself. Would add more complexity than the current water system used in the overworld, as lava flows would have to be regulated with pistons to push the platform back and forth.

However that's very close to the horizontal pulley thing that FC doesn't wanna touch...so idk...your viscous liquid is probably better.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I missed seeing that, my bad. I suppose this should officially be considered a discussion thread now.
Better is the enemy of Good
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I don't mind the idea of a crafted liquid for transport. As long as it still uses the water mechanics, it won't be replacing game-play or making any features redundant so it's all good from that point of view.

If it were to say, poison a mob sat in it, that would make for some interesting stuff. And added danger = fun.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
misterwuggles

Post by misterwuggles »

I like the idea of it being more viscous and slow moving, like a one time use bucket (in that it creates a source block that flows, but also can't be re-bucketed) of lava that doesn't destroy stuff. For some reason the idea reminds me of when Beakman's World or Bill Nye (can't remember which) taught me how to make Gak. Good old science.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Viscous and slow-moving, seems to me like we need to be able to fill our buckets with the blood of the innocent. Sounds Netheresque enough for me. All joking aside, I like the concept, regardless of whether or not it was already planned.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

I have an Idea for this that might kill 2 birds with one stone, Lava Boats. In a similar vein to Storage minecarts, Have metal boats that are able to float in lava, Have a passenger version, and a storage version. Simple in theory, probably very complicated to make work functionally. This has been asked for repeatedly, and always been shot down, but its still a possible solution to moving items around in the nether, and feels kinda like a 2 birds one stone idea. You could also make it so that the metal boats did not function in water, being that magma is far more dense a liquid.

Another idea, is Squid oil!. Whales used to be killed for there oil, perhaps we could do something similar with squid, kill enough squid to get enough ink to make an ink bucket, (with added ingerdiant, Some kind of thickening agent, to prevent it all from just flowing away.) I like the idea of using souls to thicken squid oil.

Mud- Steve has enough technology to make cement, then perhaps he can make a similar compound that will never set? Perhaps using the souls of the dammed chained into this fluid, (would be amusing if it moaned all the time like when cement is settng.)

Congealed Souls would be amusing as well, Give it a white-clear texture, make it spread as fast as lava, but as far as water.

Just a few ideas to through out there.
Sealhunter

Post by Sealhunter »

Nexus Trimean wrote:I have an Idea for this that might kill 2 birds with one stone, Lava Boats. In a similar vein to Storage minecarts, Have metal boats that are able to float in lava, Have a passenger version, and a storage version. Simple in theory, probably very complicated to make work functionally. This has been asked for repeatedly, and always been shot down, but its still a possible solution to moving items around in the nether, and feels kinda like a 2 birds one stone idea. You could also make it so that the metal boats did not function in water, being that magma is far more dense a liquid.
Wasn't this functionality supposed to be added to the minecarts in vMC a while back? Being that they are metal (which would melt in lava irl but whatever) and they have storage carts as well, this would fir the idea fully. I don't know what happened to this idea, but it would be interesting as transportation would most likely have to be semi-automated rather than fully automated (emptying/filling the minecarts).
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Sealhunter wrote:Wasn't this functionality supposed to be added to the minecarts in vMC a while back? Being that they are metal (which would melt in lava irl but whatever) and they have storage carts as well, this would fir the idea fully. I don't know what happened to this idea, but it would be interesting as transportation would most likely have to be semi-automated rather than fully automated (emptying/filling the minecarts).
Don't know about the lava boat functionality, but i do know that they wouldn't melt - lava is 700°C - 1200°C, while iron melts at 1538°C. You'd be uncomfortable as hell, but it wouldn't melt.

But, the lava boat idea as a solution for liquids in the nether wouldn't work - there's two things that water's really used for: item/mob transportation and irrigation. Since we have planters, which behave like hydrated farmland for hemp and wheat, that only leaves transportation. Zombie pigmen and magma cubes (the only ground mobs in the nether) can survive being in lava, so that leaves item transportation.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Can I also point out that lava boats for automation are made kinda redundant by way of...minecart rails? Could be fun for sailing around, but it's kinda useless outside that.

I think of 'nether liquid' as a slow-moving poisonous slime haunted by trapped souls. Good for moving items around and as a moat (poisonous slime moat? oh yes), and perhaps in mob-traps, not so good for farming or swimming.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I've never liked lava boats. It seems silly (melting or no), takes away some of the sense of danger with regards to lava, and takes away some of the unique feel of the nether.

And BTW guys, I've already said I have an item transport system planned for the nether, so there's not much point in this topic anyways.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Will the nether transport system be applicable in the overworld too?
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Sorry for George Romero'ing this thread but any info on this type of thing?

A friend of mine, to which I've introduced BTW a good while ago, came to me with a suggestion that is the same subject as this. Lots of ground netherrack mixed in with water making a sludge, slow like lava, range like lava, but non-evaporate-y and non-burny of items, usable in the nether as transport. My search found this thread but there doesn't seem to be any real conclusion... and so my conclusion is that FC has this subject all planned out.

Lock down on this if its over and done with.

ty
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I began to change my mind on this when I started seeing people building waterless Nether designs. I wanted to see how that would play out with time.

I think my end analysis on it is that it's a good thing to have an area that provides this kind of added design challenge. The mod has gotten to the point where the Nether offers several advantages to building certain kinds of contraptions, and I think having that added challenge in there while doing so is interesting for players.

So yeah, I don't think I'll be including a Nether fluid any time soon.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:I began to change my mind on this when I started seeing people building waterless Nether designs. I wanted to see how that would play out with time.

I think my end analysis on it is that it's a good thing to have an area that provides this kind of added design challenge. The mod has gotten to the point where the Nether offers several advantages to building certain kinds of contraptions, and I think having that added challenge in there while doing so is interesting for players.

So yeah, I don't think I'll be including a Nether fluid any time soon.
But Big Papa Flower, Panda wants a new sticky fuild. :'[
Never say no to Panda.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Panda wrote:Panda wants a new sticky fuild. :'[
...You just beg for someone to answer with a sexual pun ;)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

*snicker*

EDIT: Ninja'd
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

Sealhunter wrote:Wasn't this functionality supposed to be added to the minecarts in vMC a while back? Being that they are metal (which would melt in lava irl but whatever)
Lava is about 2200F, iron doesn't melt until 2800F. Lava boats wouldn't melt. They'd cook whoever was inside... but they would not melt.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Awfulcopter wrote: Lava is about 2200F, iron doesn't melt until 2800F. Lava boats wouldn't melt. They'd cook whoever was inside... but they would not melt.
That's the point at which iron goes completely liquid, but it doesn't mean that it would still be useable at lower temperatures where it may become so malleable as to leave your boat unusable.

It's also making a lot of assumptions about the nature of both lava and iron in the MC world.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Yeah I really don't like the idea of lava transporting things in any capacity. May be a personal thing but it just doesn't fit in my mind. Though I would like some way of transporting things as a possibility in the nether, I'm more interested in it being very different from the water transport system we have in the overworld currently, at the very least for variety sake / introducing new problems.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

A madness of timed pistons?
Six

Post by Six »

Yeah, I personally love the design challenge of needing to make waterless designs for the nether, and I think it has brought out some brilliant stuff from people.