SWTOR: beta testing

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Rugaard

SWTOR: beta testing

Post by Rugaard »

ive been selected to beta test SWTOR this weekend, who else has been selected?
Flesh_Engine

Re: SWTOR: beta testing

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Fuck yes!

Stroke that wookie, i'm going Solo!

Hmm, i'd better read up on the classes :p
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Urian

Post by Urian »

Yeah, everyone who signed up for beta testing before 11/11/11 has been invited :) Unfortunately my computer broke down and my new computer will arrive on Friday or Monday so it's a bit 50-50 if I'll get to try it this weekend.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

What is weird is that I didn't sign up for the beta I got the notification as well. Not going to bother though since I'll have no time. Skyrim + Work = Next 4 months.
screally

Post by screally »

I reset my password and now their website won't let me change it, login or do anything, it just stalls.

Get your shit together bioware >:(
Urian

Post by Urian »

It seems like the SWTOR homepage is having some trouble handling the amount of traffic from people downloading the client. Hopefully it's not a sign of how the weekend will be.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Last time I was on they were talking about this weekend coming being a stress test weekend - they're going to get as many people on as possible to try to break it!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Yes, well what they actually are going to do is simulate launch and let people in in three waves over the weekend. This means that the last wave will only get to play for 14 hours, the middle wave will get 38 hours and the first wave 62 hours (I think it is, the times are on the site which is still down...)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Finally got my invite too, however the emails don't specify what dates the testing is for, just upcoming weekend (this weekend, next weekend?), I assume there are more details on the site, but don't have my SWTOR account password at work (too many passwords, damn you internets).

There was a message that the site was undergoing maintenance as well which may still be affecting things (I managed to RSVP on my second attempt though).
screally

Post by screally »

Got through the clutter and am now downloading the beta version (at a lousy 1mb/s).

Remember the security question answers, they will ask you them to download it.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Timezones suck. I've been accepted to play the middle time period, which means I only get Sunday to play, thanks to being on the other side of the international date/time line from the USA (you're all living in the past!).

Oh well, I have to vote on Saturday anyway.

At least I wasn't accepted to the shortest one, or I'd only have Monday (not sure if it would be worth pulling a sickie, don't think my wife would be impressed anyway).
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

I get to start on friday hope i can get up early enough for it, starts 8 am for me
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'm also in the group that starts on Friday. Still no word about when I'll get my computer though so I'm afraid it might be next week. Luckily it's less than a month until launch.
screally

Post by screally »

gft I don't think there is a medium one, just a long ('friday') and a short ('saturday') one. EDIT: I've now read conflicting posts about this, not sure :P

I too am placed in the saturday one, and to be honest, I'm a little crushed at the news. By my reckoning I'll get more than 1/3 less gameplay, probably closer to 1/2 less.

This despite the fact I have signed up to be a tester for over a year and a half, contributed to the forums, have a very large knowledge of star-wars lore, have a fair bit of gaming experience across many different genres and am fairly well spoken. My only real negative is that I run an average-specced laptop, which is probably at the lower end of the ability to run the game, and fair enough, you don't want testers that will struggle with actually loading the game (well you'll want a few perhaps)

Not once been chosen to test at all so far, and never minded, at the end of the day, its a privilage to test, not a right. But this last wave of testers includes everyone who made an account, and additionally, a bunch of beta keys from people who have had 0 connection to the game up until now. And the thought that people who signed up for the beta in the last few weeks/days get to play the game a full 24h ahead of me just really pisses me off.

Sorry for the rant, I know its pathetic too, but its just been annoying me all day.
Urian

Post by Urian »

From what I understand, what group you're in for the weekend depends on how quickly upi confirmed your participation, those who get in on Friday are the ones who responded first.
screally

Post by screally »

Got the email requesting confirmation at 5:30am UK time and confirmed it within 7 hours. If the sign-up time is true, timezones and the fact I actually have a degree where I work fucked me over
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

screally wrote:Got the email requesting confirmation at 5:30am UK time and confirmed it within 7 hours. If the sign-up time is true, timezones and the fact I actually have a degree where I work fucked me over
Plus Rugaard got his 2-3 days earlier than us and others got theirs even earlier, which denies early sign-up time from being a possibility.

If I want maximum time, I have to get up at 5am on Sunday (10am CST)! Oh well sleep is overrated or something.
screally

Post by screally »

Heh I've actually already pretty much planned my weeked, including pre-cooking dinner for saturday night tonight, and probably getting a pizza for sunday evening. Saturday itself is going to be a mix of getting work done and sleeping-in-advance

4pm Saturday-4am Sunday is going to be pretty much straight playing lol
Urian

Post by Urian »

My weekend depends entirely on whether or not that bloody store can keep their promise and deliver my computer tomorrow. If so then I'll be playing pretty much non-stop (I've even looked up some places that have deliver fast-food) and if not I'll be at a bar getting drunk. In a way, it's a win-win situation :p
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

gftweek wrote:
screally wrote:Got the email requesting confirmation at 5:30am UK time and confirmed it within 7 hours. If the sign-up time is true, timezones and the fact I actually have a degree where I work fucked me over
Plus Rugaard got his 2-3 days earlier than us and others got theirs even earlier, which denies early sign-up time from being a possibility.

If I want maximum time, I have to get up at 5am on Sunday (10am CST)! Oh well sleep is overrated or something.
yea and i responded 7 min after i got the email, i hope i can wake up on time to play, i seem to oversleep on days where i don't go to college
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

gftweek wrote:At least I wasn't accepted to the shortest one, or I'd only have Monday (not sure if it would be worth pulling a sickie, don't think my wife would be impressed anyway).
I discussed this with my wife this morning, and she suggested I pull a sickie! It would give me closer to two days instead of part of one...hmmm.
Rugaard wrote:yea and i responded 7 min after i got the email, i hope i can wake up on time to play, i seem to oversleep on days where i don't go to college
Multiple alarm clocks spread around the room?
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

gftweek wrote:
gftweek wrote:At least I wasn't accepted to the shortest one, or I'd only have Monday (not sure if it would be worth pulling a sickie, don't think my wife would be impressed anyway).
I discussed this with my wife this morning, and she suggested I pull a sickie! It would give me closer to two days instead of part of one...hmmm.
Rugaard wrote:yea and i responded 7 min after i got the email, i hope i can wake up on time to play, i seem to oversleep on days where i don't go to college
Multiple alarm clocks spread around the room?
hah, i wish, my bedside alarm, my I touch and my sisters alarm next room over doesnt wake me up on these days, though oddly enough ive been woken up by my sisters alarm during schooldays

anyway, what race/class is everyone going to choose?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Rugaard wrote:hah, i wish, my bedside alarm, my I touch and my sisters alarm next room over doesnt wake me up on these days, though oddly enough ive been woken up by my sisters alarm during schooldays
Glass of water above you on a shelf balanced on itouch set to vibrate?
Rugaard wrote:anyway, what race/class is everyone going to choose?
I'm most looking forward to trying the smuggler, but jedi and bounty hunter also appeal, I prefer the light side though. I am undecided on race, not sure if they provide any perks or are just a visual choice, possibly twilek, or miruluka for jedi, not totally sure which ones are selectable either.
screally

Post by screally »

First 6-10 hours are probably gonna be Jedi Consular for me, not sure or bothered about the race, might go human just to be boring.

Probably try Bounty Hunter afterwards, just to be a little different, then if possible work my way to Sith warrior and Smuggler.

That way I get to try both types of jedi, the cover mechanism and one more class, and each of the starting worlds too.
Urian wrote:My weekend depends entirely on whether or not that bloody store can keep their promise and deliver my computer tomorrow. If so then I'll be playing pretty much non-stop (I've even looked up some places that have deliver fast-food) and if not I'll be at a bar getting drunk. In a way, it's a win-win situation :p
If you aren't using the login, perhaps someone else could have it for the friday :D Nah seriously, hope your computer comes on time.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Friday 11 CST for me.

Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!

Really; the Jedi order are a maniplulative band of meddlers that talk the talk but end up doing nothing until things get rough for themselves (barring exceptions which coincidentally is what each movie is about) then preventing stuff from happening and going 'haha, we knew this would happen'. Of course they did; they didn't actually planned on doing anything about it, waiting for stuff to unfold until finally stepping in to correct the mess that they allowed to happen.

In any case, carry on...
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."