M!C's News Compilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Urian

Re: M!C's News Compilation

Post by Urian »

What are the bugs Notch said they know about and will get to fixing as soon as they're back? I've only watched some LPs but didn't notice any bugs there.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
M!C

Post by M!C »

Urian wrote:What are the bugs Notch said they know about and will get to fixing as soon as they're back? I've only watched some LPs but didn't notice any bugs there.
I haven't spent that much time on 1.0 yet but one thing I noticed is that animals don't follow you when you hold wheat.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

M!C wrote:
Urian wrote:What are the bugs Notch said they know about and will get to fixing as soon as they're back? I've only watched some LPs but didn't notice any bugs there.
I haven't spent that much time on 1.0 yet but one thing I noticed is that animals don't follow you when you hold wheat.
They do, they just don't realise right away that you're there.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Looks like there might occasionally be some problems when connecting to a SMP server as well accoring to the minecraft wiki. I suppose that's the kinda bug that would need a pretty quick response.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Repeaters are doing some really weird stuff with transfering signals through blocks.

I can get a trapdoor-walkway to fly open, but when I cut the signal they don't close.
SCIENCE!
Alrin

Post by Alrin »

Yeah when connecting to a server you sometimes randomly get denied and it says "invalid passkey" and when you try to connect again you get an End of Stream message. Sometimes works to connect with the IP, or using the direct connect option instead of using your saved server favorite. When you have double doors placed, clicking on the left one (when both closed) will open the right one and clicking on the right door (when both are open) will close the left door :P

There's a bunch other things but the major one is the server thing.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

The thing about you-know-who was pretty hilarious, the bugs less so.

But I'm relieved notch said will work on them asap, I thought he was going to immediately disappear for a month of vacations or something after minecon :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I can't wait till I have the free time to play multi-player again :| Mind you, by then there's bound to be a whole new batch of bugs to prevent it :p

The whole they-who-must-not-be-named incident is kinda meh tbh; not liking a million-not-be-named-aboos now assuming British humour to be all about swearing at kids though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:The thing about you-know-who was pretty hilarious, the bugs less so.

But I'm relieved notch said will work on them asap, I thought he was going to immediately disappear for a month of vacations or something after minecon :P

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138765717452496896

Guess he meant Jeb will work on them asap ;)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Urian

Post by Urian »

Coding Minecraft, like a boss! Although I'm glad it's Jeb looking at it, I usually like his changes and additions better :)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Anyone having trouble with wooden double doors? I mean they aren't working like they used to and have gotten me killed a few times now... I can't show ya because I'm at work but I'm talking about trying to open the left one and the right one opens.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Deepsniper wrote:Anyone having trouble with wooden double doors? I mean they aren't working like they used to and have gotten me killed a few times now... I can't show ya because I'm at work but I'm talking about trying to open the left one and the right one opens.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1176&start=425#p26578
Alrin

Post by Alrin »

5 posts up, it's been posted about.

edit: damn! ninja'd!
M!C

Post by M!C »

Alrin wrote:5 posts up, it's been posted about.
Gotcha! :P

Another thing I noticed (but haven't tested in earlier versions, so no clue if it's new) is that a non-OP can't open wooden doors in the spawn protection area. That's nothing odd in itself but yesterday my friend tried it and he was able to open the lower or upper half of the door ...
FrostMcloud

Post by FrostMcloud »

I noticed the doors too, also not sure if its really a bug but something they may have forgotten or that Im missing is that the change log for me hasn't changed -__- I had to go to the wiki and look at the change log there.
Urian

Post by Urian »

@jeb_ Jens Bergensten
So... We are working towards automated snapshots, and will try to get one "prerelease" out every week, regardless if it's stable or not
I wonder for how long they'll try to do that and how it will affect the modding community.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Urian wrote:
@jeb_ Jens Bergensten
So... We are working towards automated snapshots, and will try to get one "prerelease" out every week, regardless if it's stable or not
I wonder for how long they'll try to do that and how it will affect the modding community.
I guess modders will stick to the official releases which will be less frequent.
The weekly prereleases are meant to reduce bugs so that something like 1.7.3 (successive updates to get rid of the most annoying bugs) won't happen again. Let's hope it works better than the feature freeze.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

M!C wrote:I guess modders will stick to the official releases which will be less frequent.
The weekly prereleases are meant to reduce bugs so that something like 1.7.3 (successive updates to get rid of the most annoying bugs) won't happen again. Let's hope it works better than the feature freeze.
I actually like it. Like with the 1.9 prereleases, most modders will stick to the stables, allowing for more stable mod updates. FC wouldn't have gotten as far with BTW if he had to constantly update his code to the prereleases.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Gilberreke wrote:
M!C wrote:I guess modders will stick to the official releases which will be less frequent.
I actually like it. Like with the 1.9 prereleases, most modders will stick to the stables, allowing for more stable mod updates. FC wouldn't have gotten as far with BTW if he had to constantly update his code to the prereleases.
I do agree - that way, people can see that there is progress in the coding, while still having a stable build on which to play and mod.

Also:
http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/statuses/139712255938920448

When translated, seems to indicate that jeb_ intends to make it easier to start a server in 2012, although there's no indication as to how he plans to do so.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FrostMcloud

Post by FrostMcloud »

As I see it, they have the software for the servers, but have yet to just create an easy to use interface that is incorperated into the actual client, if they can do this, I beleive it would help more than one of us. Personally I am excited for this news, though that may or may not be good news for modders smp mods seeing as this may or may not change some nesisary(omg cant spell) dependencies with how their server software works currently. (I am not a modder or have the slightest clue on how its done really so please excuse me if I sound Trollish, I DO NOT LIVE UNDER A BRIDGE!!! So you can just put that lighter away now)
M!C

Post by M!C »

Lot's of tweets to go through today ... a few lot are even quite interesting (read, listed here ;) ).

What do you guys think about the backwards compatibility? I'm not sure I like it because you will have to start a new map everytime you want get in new map-generation-related features ...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

M!C wrote:Lot's of tweets to go through today ... a few lot are even quite interesting (read, listed here ;) ).

What do you guys think about the backwards compatibility? I'm not sure I like it because you will have to start a new map everytime you want get in new map-generation-related features ...
That really depends how it's done. If you have absolutely no access to new features in old maps, that kinda sucks, but I'm really not certain if that's what they intend.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hm the way the terrain generator works, implementing a new feature that doesn't drastically change terrain generation is simply a matter of generating new chunks.
This is very cool if new ores, trees, abd conditionally biomes are implemented.
But if it makes changes to basic things like the height of the world or existing biomes or stuff like that, it's essentially world breaking, if only for the visual clash of the old with the new (think 1.7 world borders in 1.8.. ugly.)
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: But if it makes changes to basic things like the height of the world or existing biomes or stuff like that, it's essentially world breaking, if only for the visual clash of the old with the new (think 1.7 world borders in 1.8.. ugly.)
Yeah, but I've come to accept them. The borders of my world were already pushed out so far, that there's no way I accidentally stumble across them, and usually when I want to start a new area, I travel far out into the Nether and build a portal to spawn into an unspoiled wilderness.

I've yet to see the borders with all the revisions to the Nether in 1.9+ though. Those might be bad.
M!C

Post by M!C »

FlowerChild wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote: But if it makes changes to basic things like the height of the world or existing biomes or stuff like that, it's essentially world breaking, if only for the visual clash of the old with the new (think 1.7 world borders in 1.8.. ugly.)
Yeah, but I've come to accept them. The borders of my world were already pushed out so far, that there's no way I accidentally stumble across them, and usually when I want to start a new area, I travel far out into the Nether and build a portal to spawn into an unspoiled wilderness.

I've yet to see the borders with all the revisions to the Nether in 1.9+ though. Those might be bad.
Yeah, the borders look especially weird in the nether. I simply think of them as some kind of continental rift though.