The End of Minecraft

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Dirdle

Re: The End of Minecraft

Post by Dirdle »

Disclaimer: this post contains liberal quantities of negative opinion. To be upfront honest: the end seems to me better than a lot of possible ends, but...

Eww, seriously? Bad story. Worst end. I guess at least it was written well, but man, that was comparable to the last volume of The Dark Tower. Actually, no, it was comparable to the last part of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Can't a game about placing blocks to build things just be a game about placing blocks to build things, not some elaborate metaphor explained in too many words by achingly slow text? The only place* this Matrix-esque cod philosophy belongs is at the end of Psychonauts, but it had the decency to let the player figure it out themselves, if they wanted. Maybe it's meant to be incredibly cheesy and slightly goofy and I'm too churlish to see the joke? Surely no one takes this "love and life are deep" stuff seriously anymore?

On the other hand, having an ending is perfectly good. Closure is a big part of games, even sprawling sandbox games. If the game never ends, people only stop playing when they're no longer having fun, and are left feeling sour and dissatisfied. Overall then, meh. I'd prefer something else as an end to MC, but since I can't think of anything better, this is fine.

* - Blatant lies; I can think of a couple of others actually, and there must be more that I don't know about. But that would ruin the rhetoric, wouldn't it?
What Strange Devices!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

You know the old joke "Chuck Norris can beat Minecraft?" Suddenly it isn't near as funny. :(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dirdle wrote:* - Blatant lies; I can think of a couple of others actually, and there must be more that I don't know about. But that would ruin the rhetoric, wouldn't it?
Hmmm...it suddenly strikes me that the ending text is probably just as easy to modify as the splash text on the title screen.

I see a twisted BTW-specific ending story in the cards ;)
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Dirdle wrote:* - Blatant lies; I can think of a couple of others actually, and there must be more that I don't know about. But that would ruin the rhetoric, wouldn't it?
Hmmm...it suddenly strikes me that the ending text is probably just as easy to modify as the splash text on the title screen.

I see a twisted BTW-specific ending story in the cards ;)
Would it be a class file or...?
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

FlowerChild wrote:I see a twisted BTW-specific ending story in the cards ;)
Perhaps involving that Lovecraftian compulsion to keep writing even as one is being devoured? I've certainly sometimes envisioned an endgame in contrast to "kill dragon, receive Winner's Medal," with Steve being dragged through a portal by some elder tentacular evil, screaming how he should not have meddled >=D.

But that doesn't seem much like winning.
What Strange Devices!
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

BinoAl wrote:You know the old joke "Chuck Norris can beat Minecraft?" Suddenly it isn't near as funny. :(
I heard that Chuck Norris reached the far lands legit.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Dirdle wrote:But that doesn't seem much like winning.
Serves steve right for getting distacted by pretty portals and killing dragons when he should be building stuff.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Demonwolf002

Post by Demonwolf002 »

Dirdle wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I see a twisted BTW-specific ending story in the cards ;)
Perhaps involving that Lovecraftian compulsion to keep writing even as one is being devoured? I've certainly sometimes envisioned an endgame in contrast to "kill dragon, receive Winner's Medal," with Steve being dragged through a portal by some elder tentacular evil, screaming how he should not have meddled >=D.

But that doesn't seem much like winning.
All the while cursing that damn dog for just setting their and staring blankly at him instead of being a better distraction for the tentacular evil.