Automatic destruction of minecarts

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ruinous

Automatic destruction of minecarts

Post by Ruinous »

I am looking for a way to automate the emptying of my minecart with chest, currently the only thing I can think of is to destroy them and get the items contained therin to drop into a hopper. However all the methods I have tried destroy the items as well. Does anyone have any ideas?
Mason11987

Re: Automatic destruction of minecarts

Post by Mason11987 »

Ruinous wrote:I am looking for a way to automate the emptying of my minecart with chest, currently the only thing I can think of is to destroy them and get the items contained therin to drop into a hopper. However all the methods I have tried destroy the items as well. Does anyone have any ideas?
I believe a Block Dispenser can suck in a cart, and in doing so drop it's items (perhaps into a lower water flow), that might do what you need.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

;)
Ruinous

Post by Ruinous »

cheers! a bit dull of me not to think of the BD.
bazilshep

Post by bazilshep »

Has anyone else had problems with items going through walls using this? I tried creating one, it seemed to empty them quite fine but even with a full 2 block thick wall items got through... I would be interested to hear if battosay ran into this problem.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

bazilshep wrote:Has anyone else had problems with items going through walls using this? I tried creating one, it seemed to empty them quite fine but even with a full 2 block thick wall items got through... I would be interested to hear if battosay ran into this problem.
That's just the way the minecart-breakage code distributes items around it. Thicker walls don't help. What you want is additional empty space around the minecart.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh yeah, I had that problem too.
You need at least one empty space around the minecart, but it's even better with 2 or 3 (so a 3x2 "tube" works 100%).
You can also use water to collect some of the loots, but it's not perfect.
bazilshep

Post by bazilshep »

Ah, thats too bad, especially considering how the block dispenser can place the carts back a block farther away. There isn't any way you would consider fixing that, would you? I wouldn't imagine you want to fix more mojang bugs...
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

bazilshep wrote:Ah, thats too bad, especially considering how the block dispenser can place the carts back a block farther away. There isn't any way you would consider fixing that, would you? I wouldn't imagine you want to fix more mojang bugs...
I did notice that the bug exists with the Millstone, too. It's quite annoying, and I imagine you could fix it without base class mods? Whether you'd want to, of course, is another matter.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

pi4t wrote: I did notice that the bug exists with the Millstone, too. It's quite annoying, and I imagine you could fix it without base class mods? Whether you'd want to, of course, is another matter.
In the case of the Mill Stone, that's not a bug. It's intended to work that way to force consideration of how to collect the output rather than just channeling it all in one direction.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't think about that, I must admit. On the other hand, it's a bit counter-intuitive to have it go through the walls, and it would be nice to at least have the OP/wiki warn that it does that. If I'd positioned my first millstone slightly differently, half my hemp fibres would have been going to the other side of my mountain without me realising. Perhaps it could give some clearer form of warning, such as simply refusing to place next to walls, or breaking when powered? That would save confusion and annoyance for idiots like me, who forget these things :)

Anyway, back on topic...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

pi4t wrote:Ok, that makes sense. I didn't think about that, I must admit. On the other hand, it's a bit counter-intuitive to have it go through the walls, and it would be nice to at least have the OP/wiki warn that it does that. If I'd positioned my first millstone slightly differently, half my hemp fibres would have been going to the other side of my mountain without me realising. Perhaps it could give some clearer form of warning, such as simply refusing to place next to walls, or breaking when powered? That would save confusion and annoyance for idiots like me, who forget these things :)

Anyway, back on topic...
Quoted directly from the OP for the mod in the MCF forums:
Note that the Mill Stone can only be powered by an axle (in later tech tiers) if it is going directly into the top or bottom of the block, and that all processed material it produces is immediately ejected to the sides of the Mill Stone (meaning you should leave all sides around it free of other blocks to avoid loss of material).
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Ok, I should read posts more thoroughly. You win, sorry to spam the thread.