Bamboo

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
InTheCloset

Bamboo

Post by InTheCloset »

With all the talking about "wood" I had the idea of introducing bamboo to the mod.

I think its a good idea because:
  • It could be a new source of wood and a fast one (bamboo grows uber fast under right conditions)
  • It could be used to make scaffolding - breaks with one hit, decays if unused, able to partially see through. Seems better than dirt or glass while building stuff.
  • Could be used as a food source.
  • It has the use of filtering water and produsing salt.
  • Could just use the "Reed" texture, that is altered a bit and other characteristics so it doesn't have to be made from scratch.
  • Could be used to make a quick and aesthetic fence or a wall (only for mobs?) of sorts.
  • Could be used to make a new type of trap - if a mob/player falls on bamboo it could do damage (logic being that you get impaled on it) but (unlike cacti) will not damage items. I am thinking that it could be like a hole with bamboo(kinda like floating reed) placed in it like a filter in the middle of a well that insta-kills the mob/player and all of their items fall down
  • Bamboo is also used for medicine so it (or foods that contain it?) could help steve overcome "bad" effects
  • It is used to make fabrics
  • It is also used to makefish traps - industrialized fishing?
If I (or someone else) think of other possible uses I will add the to the list.

It sounds like a goopossible addition to the "cross breeding" of plants (a reed and a sapling maybe?)

What do you think?
Last edited by InTheCloset on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Itamarcu

Re: Bamboo

Post by Itamarcu »

Those are pretty good reasons.
good idea!
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

I think you should read viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29&start=75 forth post down, the one written by Flowerchild.

What you have done is come up with a solution for which there is no problem. Then you tried to invent problems for it to solve.

From your post, your idea's are:

I would like a fast growing source of wood.
I would like a partially transparent block which breaks in one hit and decays in time.
I would like another food source.
I would like to filter water to produce salt
I would like a fence which looks different.
I would like a block which damages on being touched, but doesn't destroy items
I would like a different source of medicine to milk
I want a different way to make fabric
I want to be able to automate fishing.

Try thinking the other way around, from the problem too the solution.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

FC talked about "genetic engeneering" of a more useful tree type.

As I explicitly stated THAT gave me the idea. I wasn't merely trying to put some "cool" thing from reality into the mod.

Still, thank you for the tip, I appreciate it.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

I'm a little concerned that you still don't quite get it. It doesn't matter how you came up with the idea to put bamboo in (You do realise it's a grass, not a tree). Flowerchild isn't going to suddenly go - Oh, he got that idea from something I said recently, in that case, yes, we must have a way to filter salt from water in the game.

What matters is the gameplay you are wanting to add. This is your starting point. (And can I just point out that you probably shouldn't really be encouraged to actively set out to think up idea's, you aren't being tasked as a designer for BTW!)

So if you get in your head that it would be cool to be able to do x, this is where your idea comes from. This is what FC is interested in. If the solution you think of is item y (Which in game design terms is only a word after all) feel free to mention it, but that's the bit FC is not at all interested in. When he got the idea for a flame block which is switchable via redstone, he went with Hibachi. He could have gone for grill, Barbecue, Magic Flame Alter, Netherrack Control Mechanism, whatever - it would have still worked exactly the same, just have a slightly different name and perhaps look slightly different. The end recipe - the item used to provide the required gameplay is the end of a long process of design, it is not the starting point.

So the gameplay that you mentioned you wanted is your idea's starting point.

As you pointed out, FC has already put the idea out there about perhaps crossbreeding trees. Therefore, he has already had the gameplay idea and he doesn't want you to suggest names, themes or recipes of what the crossbreed will be.

So apart from repeating his own idea (And I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't trying to claim some reflected glory by suggesting the idea he already suggested) and coming up with a recipe, you came up with a list of other things bamboo could do in the game. This is the unique point about your post, but I hope you agree with me that they aren't really worth discussing.

I don't want to discourage you, I hope you realise that, I just want to redirect your energy in the direction that's wanted!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Shengji wrote:I'm a little concerned that you still don't quite get it. It doesn't matter how you came up with the idea to put bamboo in (You do realise it's a grass, not a tree).
yup
So if you get in your head that it would be cool to be able to do x, this is where your idea comes from. This is what FC is interested in.
Gocha
So the gameplay that you mentioned you wanted is your idea's starting point.
Got that, thanks for the clarification
As you pointed out, FC has already put the idea out there about perhaps crossbreeding trees. Therefore, he has already had the gameplay idea and he doesn't want you to suggest names, themes or recipes of what the crossbreed will be.
Really? OK, I didn't realize suggestion were a no-go at this point. Thanks
This is the unique point about your post, but I hope you agree with me that they aren't really worth discussing.
I've had other ideas that I thought were REALLY COOL but never mentiond because I considered them NOT TO BE worth mentioning - baing able to attach tools to certain mechanical blocks, mining explosives, hemp leaves giving you halucinations etc.
I don't want to discourage you, I hope you realise that, I just want to redirect your energy in the direction that's wanted!
Sure thing, thanks a lot ^_^
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just wanted to add that I tend to abstract sugar-cane as bamboo anyways. Check out the wicker recipe. If I were creating a recipe for something that required bamboo, I'd just slap sugar-cane in there and be done with it.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I think that was Mojangs policy too. If I recall sugar cane use to be reed, basically bamboo but when the wanted sugar they simply changed the name to sugar cane and bam!
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Yeah I know. I imagined it kinda like normal trees and aspen - same thing with a different texture.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Fully support this.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer