New Release! (BTW V3.0)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.0)

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote: Could someone care to fill me in?
Ouch. Poor choice of words in this context.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Brethern wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: To be honest, it's the kind of thing you either know about and embrace, know about and avoid, or you simply remain ignorant of.

Do not worry though, whichever of the three you fall under, we'll be happy to educate you <3
Could someone care to fill me in?
-.- cba. I'll let wikipedia fill in for now.

@FC's ninja: damn, missed that :| more tired than I thought.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:-.- cba. I'll let wikipedia fill in for now.
Gods damn. I wish wikipedia had that kind of extensive coverage for Potash :)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:
I know what he's referencing, I was hoping that it was a inside joke here instead.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Nothing to see here, ladies and gentlemen.

Move right along before you start dancing. It's best for your sanity.

That aside, lovely work you've done here, Flower. I can barely constrain my happiness.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Brethern wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
I know what he's referencing, I was hoping that it was a inside joke here instead.
Oh. It's not really a joke as such, I'm just a sadist.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

KWilt wrote: That aside, lovely work you've done here, Flower. I can barely constrain my happiness.
Maybe you need a better fitting pair of chaps?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Well if the chaps doesn't really fit then perhaps that is because he's the joke that isn't a joke is inside? On a related note, I think KWilt might also want a better fitting pair of chaps if he can't constrain his "happiness".
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Hmm... I suppose going a size smaller might help a bit...

Can somebody stop breathing again? I would love a nice comfy pair of assless chaps go to with my faux leather jacket.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Best youtube comment I've seen in a long time, FC. "No I think you really mean latex. Sure, I'll put it in soon."
Better is the enemy of Good
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

LOL LOL ..... LOL .... and LOL again this thread/update is hilarious.

Yet again more of FC's twisted mind makes it's way into the Mod.

LOL LOL .... LOL
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

@FCs video

I laughed SO damn hard at that. The whole Pulp Fiction reference was good, but the Big Ball dance, that's just classic there.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Lol! Nice video FC!

I just thought I'd pop in for some feedback now after having spent at least a few hours with the latest version.
I just LOVE the concept of the HCBucket mode but I haven't really decided if I like it in practice or not yet. While I love how you have to put more thought into how you build and plan your contraptions it just restricts me a bit too much at the moment in where I can build my base.
I like building at the surface but the way most worlds generate you often have to go very far to find a water spring that is above sea level so in most cases its a matter of either completely skipping to use water for your contraptions or keep all of the contraptions requiring water below sea level. I am going to stick with it for a while longer to make up my mind but this is kind of a deal breaker for me. I usually keep most my contraptions below ground either way but I just don't like feeling this restricted about where to settle down.
If there was (and you might have already thought something like this if you ever decide to make HCBucket the "standard" for the mod) a way to move a water source vertically I'd definitely feel better about it all, but then that just might make everything else unbalanced. It's just that, if I knew that I eventually would get the power to form my base the way i wanted to I'd be more than fine, but as it stands at the moment I'm a bit uneasy leaving it all up to the world generator.

Thats my 2 öre anyway, I hope I make enough sense to at least be understandable. Thanks for a great update as usual. Keep up the good work!

P.S: The new leather gear is awesome!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Honestly, I'm not sure about the future of Hardcore Bucket mode. Given the number of "my water no works" posts on the MCF forum when I accidentally made it the default without the config file installed, I think I can do without the hassle of making it on by default in the future. I think if people are smart enough to potentially appreciate it, they're smart enough to turn on the option.

Secondly, whether I invest work into pumps and such to go along with it will probably be contingent on how much it catches on.

I think it's a very interesting variant on the main game that presents its own design challenges. Whether I want to revolve aspects of the mod around it is another story. Honestly, I find it rather depressing that one of the topics of discussion that came up immediately after I released this feature was how to transport ice-blocks and such to bypass it. That seems to rather defeat the purpose of the whole thing, and I get the impression that I'd be running around trying to stick my finger in various leaks like that if I go further with this thing (in which case, I'd disable ice spawning source-blocks when destroyed with HCB enabled).

Anyways, I'll continue thinking about it and mulling over various ideas for what I want to do with it. There are a wide-range of possibilities here, even including maybe having a spin-off optional mod that goes alongside BTW that does this kind of thing properly, and with its own blocks (powered off BTW mind you) to handle pumping and such.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, I'll continue thinking about it and mulling over various ideas for what I want to do with it. There are a wide-range of possibilities here, even including maybe having a spin-off optional mod that goes alongside BTW that does this kind of thing properly, and with its own blocks (powered off BTW mind you) to handle pumping and such.
I think this may be the best solution.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

FlowerChild wrote:[...] I think it's a very interesting variant on the main game that presents its own design challenges. [...]
I had a long response written about HCBucket, people trying to circumvent mod changes and MCF. I am way too tired to word anything properly though so I'll just stick with:
I love you FC!

P.S: A spin-off mod is definitely one possible way to go. I'd be interested to hear more about it whenever you've given it enough thought.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure about the future of Hardcore Bucket mode. Given the number of "my water no works" posts on the MCF forum when I accidentally made it the default without the config file installed, I think I can do without the hassle of making it on by default in the future. I think if people are smart enough to potentially appreciate it, they're smart enough to turn on the option.

Secondly, whether I invest work into pumps and such to go along with it will probably be contingent on how much it catches on.

I think it's a very interesting variant on the main game that presents its own design challenges. Whether I want to revolve aspects of the mod around it is another story. Honestly, I find it rather depressing that one of the topics of discussion that came up immediately after I released this feature was how to transport ice-blocks and such to bypass it. That seems to rather defeat the purpose of the whole thing, and I get the impression that I'd be running around trying to stick my finger in various leaks like that if I go further with this thing (in which case, I'd disable ice spawning source-blocks when destroyed with HCB enabled).

Anyways, I'll continue thinking about it and mulling over various ideas for what I want to do with it. There are a wide-range of possibilities here, even including maybe having a spin-off optional mod that goes alongside BTW that does this kind of thing properly, and with its own blocks (powered off BTW mind you) to handle pumping and such.
I wonder if adding a module to the mod would make life more difficult for yourself. I assume, without researching it properly that a BTW API is almost certainly coming? Why not let us make the "water pump" module? That way, you can focus on the mod development and be shielded from worrying about balancing the mod for two diverging versions and increasing the complexity of bug fixing and community issues - the module author takes that load from you.

Another alternative would be too keep it optional but give the required functionality to existing or future elements of the mod, in addition to what they do anyway, though I know you pack pretty much the maximum functionality into the BTW elements and there may not be space to add more.

Sorry, I may be overstepping boundaries here, I just want to help as I have had a frustrating experience with a modular mod myself and wish I had not taken that route.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, in this case, the functionality of the two is fairly independent, so I don't view maintaining the two of them to be overly difficult.

You're right in that having someone else work on that kind of functionality might be less work, but frankly, I don't use other people's mods. The only ones I've ever played with to any extent are Zombe's modpack (and I was just using it for craft-all, so it's gone now), and Buildcraft for an individual world that I played for a few days. I keep pretty up to date with what other mods are doing, but it's generally just by following their threads and watching vids.

I think I personally want to play with HCB in my own games, but the liklihood of someone else producing a version I'd want to use and trust enough to play with in my main world is pretty slim.

Anyways, it's an option, and one that had occurred to me.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I think (personally) splitting HCB into a separate module in a similar fashion to the different parts of Buildcraft or RedPower would end up being a good idea; people who use multiple mods will most likely have it disabled and won't want future devices dedicated to HCB taking up extra block IDs. Hardcore BTW-only people (battosay, etc) obviously would include it.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
IGN: Camerinthus
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Once again, I'm in full support of HCB mode. It really makes the world immersive in a way the finite water mod never managed and without adding processor strain.
Better is the enemy of Good
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

How hard would it be to make HCB an ingame option when starting a world (like creative/survival)? That would make disabling it a little more obvious while still allowing you to make it the default.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

The easiest way to do that would be using GUI API, which is another add on we would have to download. But considering that Mo Creatures uses GUI API (and Audiomod), you can bet that a hell of a lot of people already have it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

grimper12341 wrote:The easiest way to do that would be using GUI API, which is another add on we would have to download. But considering that Mo Creatures uses GUI API (and Audiomod), you can bet that a hell of a lot of people already have it.
Yeah, fuck that.

I totally forgot about that above actually. I do think I had Mo'Creatures installed for around 30 minutes at one point, I think even before starting to work on this mod :)

No slight intended towards Mo'Creatures, it's just not my kind of mod, and I think the target audiences for this one and that are very different, and I'm really not a fan of being dependent on additional APIs.
Rosethorns

Post by Rosethorns »

I would say that if you wanted to put functionality in for HCB like devices for water exclusively. There is nothing wrong with those also being in non HCB games. I know I personally would use a water lifting device whether I have access to source blocks or not.

So I say go for it FC, I find the only reason I make infinite wells in the first place is because vanilla water is so bad.

I just want to make you aware also in case you weren't in the know (but you probably are) the 1.9 pre5 makes it so all 'full' blocks count as source now, that includes each block in a waterfall.

So Source manipulation just got much much easier :S
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Here's a question: would any block/item you make for HCB only work/be useful if it was on?
I mean people have wanted steam and pumps and other such water related features long before you came up with HCB, so I just feel like anything you implemented would still work without it, but be available for the hardcore.
Simply put, the ability to create source blocks does not negate the want/need for pumps.

EDIT: Or more simply put: What Rosethorns said, since she put it far more eloquently and sense makingly. ;D
Last edited by PuppetRebel on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.