A glass cutter

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
InTheCloset

A glass cutter

Post by InTheCloset »

I think that it will be quite useful to be able to have a tool FOR glass - something that won't just brake it but make it drop a block.

Making it reusable could change the way you need to make a whole crapload of the stuff, seems easy to implement and it opens the potential for "slicing" glass into moulds and corners like the saw and anvil do for wood and rock.

What are your thoughts?
Stormweaver

Re: A glass cutter

Post by Stormweaver »

InTheCloset wrote:I think that it will be quite useful to be able to have a tool FOR glass - something that won't just brake it but make it drop a block.

Making it reusable could change the way you need to make a whole crapload of the stuff, seems easy to implement and it opens the potential for "slicing" glass into moulds and corners like the saw and anvil do for wood and rock.

What are your thoughts?
just carry a steel pick, a block dispencer and a redstone torch around with you when removing glass. Otherwise...this is a purely aestetic suggestion, no?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

The second part would be purely aesthetic. It would be *nice* to have a way to get glass block easily, but not sure it fulfills any need.
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Stormweaver wrote: just carry a steel pick, a block dispencer and a redstone torch around with you when removing glass.
you ever tried that? It's not exactly fun or convenient or easy to implement.

Also - no, I do believe that it will serve a very practical purpose - using it to gain back your glass without having to waste 30 seconds on a single block

Not to mention that if it gives you the ability to make little pieces of glass (like some devices that are somewhat emblematic for BTW) may yield some pretty cool results like using them in machinery (similar to lapiz) later on, maybe have some application with the upcoming Lens (light bending?), being a part of a certain tool (like wood molds in broadhead arrows) AND serving aesthetic purposes
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

InTheCloset wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: just carry a steel pick, a block dispencer and a redstone torch around with you when removing glass.
you ever tried that? It's not exactly fun or convenient or easy to implement.

Also - no, I do believe that it will serve a very practical purpose - using it to gain back your glass without having to waste 30 seconds on a single block

Not to mention that if it gives you the ability to make little pieces of glass (like some devices that are somewhat emblematic for BTW) may yield some pretty cool results like using them in machinery (similar to lapiz) later on, maybe have some application with the upcoming Lens (light bending?), being a part of a certain tool (like wood molds in broadhead arrows) AND serving aesthetic purposes
fyi: steel picks now pick up block dispncers really quickly, so it's more like 10 seconds per block.

Otherwise, it's up to FC how he does things. We're here to suggest what we want to be able to do, not how we want it done. And since glass panes exist now, I can't see a whole lot of reason for picking up glass blocks tbh :|
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Stormweaver wrote: fyi: steel picks now pick up block dispncers really quickly, so it's more like 10 seconds per block.
So it only takes a minute to mine 5-6 blocks instead of a bit less than 10 seconds?
Otherwise, it's up to FC how he does things. We're here to suggest what we want to be able to do, not how we want it done. And since glass panes exist now, I can't see a whole lot of reason for picking up glass blocks tbh :|
Uuumm... yeah? And I don't think that glass panes are similar to moulds or corners (at least the way I use them)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

InTheCloset wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: fyi: steel picks now pick up block dispncers really quickly, so it's more like 10 seconds per block.
So it only takes a minute to mine 5-6 blocks instead of a bit less than 10 seconds? Better than nothing though, amirite?
Uuumm... yeah? And I don't think that glass panes are similar to moulds or corners (at least the way I use them)
No, they're not similar. On the other hand they are cut pieces of glass, and can be picked up by the player. and function perfectly well for everything but skylights. Which...was your entire point, right?
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

^ Skylights? lol no! Not at all, I never even thought of that. I use normal glass for that and I don't think a different block is needed.

The only aesthetical use that I thought of was similar to that of corners and the like (could freshen up those glass houses yes?) and at least imo you definatelly can't do that with panes

I really think that glass corners and moulds can be used as part of contraptions involving light detecting or bending or some others. I could think of many on the top of my mind but I don't think they are really applicable right now - thermometers, looking glasses, vials (yes I am aware of the bottles), maybe some pipes, intentionally brittle contraptions, time measuring devices and other.

Seems like full of potential for the future. Not to mention that I don't really see all the stone and wood corners and moulds being super non-aesthetic in purpose appart from a few uses for steel handles and some contraptions
Last edited by InTheCloset on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

InTheCloset wrote:^ Skylights? lol no! Not at all, I never even thought of that. I use normal glass for that and I don't think a different block is needed.
lol sorry, I arranged the sentence badly. What I meant was:
No, they're not similar. On the other hand they are cut pieces of glass, and can be picked up by the player. Which...was your entire point, right?
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

^ Crap, I got ot by myself and eddited it in so that you don't have to post an explanation to your point.

Sorry

In short - I use glass panes, I don't want to substitute them with anything. I sincerely think there are other uses for what I suggested.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Stormweaver wrote:On the other hand they are cut pieces of glass, and can be picked up by the player
Not in 1.9 onwards, Jeb mistakenly allowed them to be picked up in 1.8.

I personally hate glass breaking, it's annoying to have to waste resources to redesign something, but there are ways around it, so don't see it as a huge problem. Pistons can move glass blocks and panes, so if you need to extend a room, you don't even have to pick up the blocks.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

gftweek wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:On the other hand they are cut pieces of glass, and can be picked up by the player
Not in 1.9 onwards, Jeb mistakenly allowed them to be picked up in 1.8.

I personally hate glass breaking, it's annoying to have to waste resources to redesign something, but there are ways around it, so don't see it as a huge problem. Pistons can move glass blocks and panes, so if you need to extend a room, you don't even have to pick up the blocks.
really? That sucks, it was the best thing about them imo.
Rosethorns

Post by Rosethorns »

I think the glass cutter would be very useful. Both considering possible future applications and current applications.

Especially considering 1.9 has panes smash when you remove them.

Would a glass cutter have durability like all other tools?
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

^ Why wouldn't it? I was thinking of something similar to the shears - made of only one combination of materials, having mlutiple uses and generally providing a solution to an annoying old problem.

I just though about that one - maybe its recipe could require a diamond (since steel you need exactly 3 of them)

But I am also thinking of some practical aplications of glass mouldings and corners, do you have any other ideas appart from what I said?

Being able to pick up glass blocks and panes in less 10 to 30 seconds is cool but the other prospect seems quite interesting.
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

While I do sympathize with the annoyance of losing glass blocks when you either mistakenly place one or need to refurbish a construct, there are two things that make an addition like this unnecessary.

1. Currently in 1.8, one can break them normally and retrieve them (though this is an accidental feature).

2. The implementation of enchanting in 1.9 and on will allow one to apply the "Silk Touch" ability to equipment.
From what I've read, it allows one to harvest ice blocks, smooth stone and the upcoming "ender stone," or whatever its called.
It will in all likelihood also allow one to harvest glass blocks without loss.

I understand your other justifications, and those seem plausible and intriguing, but with these two points, I don't think the glass cutter will happen.
"First immortality... then the bitches."
Rosethorns

Post by Rosethorns »

Runesmith wrote:While I do sympathize with the annoyance of losing glass blocks when you either mistakenly place one or need to refurbish a construct, there are two things that make an addition like this unnecessary.

1. Currently in 1.8, one can break them normally and retrieve them (though this is an accidental feature).

2. The implementation of enchanting in 1.9 and on will allow one to apply the "Silk Touch" ability to equipment.
From what I've read, it allows one to harvest ice blocks, smooth stone and the upcoming "ender stone," or whatever its called.
It will in all likelihood also allow one to harvest glass blocks without loss.

I understand your other justifications, and those seem plausible and intriguing, but with these two points, I don't think the glass cutter will happen.
Silk touch is not a solution, as silk touch is only the CHANCE to remove the block un-damaged the rate at which you destroy blocks is still > 50%

Basing the future functionality off the bug of a lesser version of minecraft is rather silly no? (referencing 1.)
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

What Rosethorns just said. Plus its really difficult to get a specific enchantment (imagine my face when I finally got it and then discovered that collected spawners make only pigs)
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

I think this is a great idea aesthetically. But... Sorry to bring out Mr R. Ealism but if one were to attempt to cut meter slabs of glass with a hand tool, well, you see what I mean right?
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Rosethorns

Post by Rosethorns »

Blazara wrote:I think this is a great idea aesthetically. But... Sorry to bring out Mr R. Ealism but if one were to attempt to cut meter slabs of glass with a hand tool, well, you see what I mean right?
Maybe you should Introduce R. Ealism to the production process of glass panes.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Since we're involving realism again ...

In real life glass "drops" glass shards which can be smelted back into usable glass quite easily though not lossless. Why not implement that? A simple new item that drops from breaking glass blocks and can be smelted again would do it.

As for carving glas: At Steve's tech level that's almost impossible. He would mostly do it like blowing glass or casting it (crafting table).
Rosethorns

Post by Rosethorns »

M!C wrote:Since we're involving realism again ...

In real life glass "drops" glass shards which can be smelted back into usable glass quite easily though not lossless. Why not implement that? A simple new item that drops from breaking glass blocks and can be smelted again would do it.

As for carving glas: At Steve's tech level that's almost impossible. He would mostly do it like blowing glass or casting it (crafting table).
fine by me, I just would just like a way to recover glass at the end of the day. even if it means glass blocks dropping "glass shards" which you have to crucible.

But Steve is a serious moron if he can make glass blocks, then cut those into glass planes. but can't uninstall either (keeping in mind panes returning is a 1.8.1 bug)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

A glazing knife would probably be pretty simple to implement and would eliminate one massive frustration from the game.

As for etching, wanting etching in the game is not a bad thing. FC could probably think of ten ways to make it happen before breakfast if he thought it was a worthwhile objective. The fact that the tools don't currently exist isn't something to be discouraged by.
Better is the enemy of Good
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

No guys please, no more extra tools in MC, I beg you!

The glass shards idea is not bad, I could see it being a fair compromise. It's not like sand is rare with the new sand biomes though, so this is at best a low priority quick fix in my eyes.

EDIT: Yeah sand might not be that rare, but the logistics are still a pain.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If we had a way to generate sand the way we do cobble, it would help.
Better is the enemy of Good
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

DaveYanakov wrote:If we had a way to generate sand the way we do cobble, it would help.
You can, if you lift and drop sand really quickly with sticky pistons you get a bunch of sand items.