New Release! (BTW V2.99)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Stormweaver

Re: New Release! (BTW V2.99)

Post by Stormweaver »

hmm.

Now that the BD stores up to 16 blocks...that means wiring up a visual digital clock is a ton easier now. Awesome. Always meant to do it before but having to faff around with the '8' always put me off.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mrchaim wrote:The Pot of Ash thing caught my eye as well when i was reading wikipedia. I'm still utterly stumped on how to make it, but to be fair i've got a pretty vicious fluey thing going on, so my brain's mostly toddling around going "...brains..." with only the occasional synapse firing. Does make it a little bit hard to make connections for this sort of thing, however.

Hehe...all right, I abstracted the ash part since I didn't think it worth the extra item (or complicating the process further), which might make it slightly less than intuitive.

Anyways, I'll be nice:

Just throw some wood in a stoked Cauldron, and you're all good.

In retrospect though, burning down trees to get ashes is kinda cool. Maybe I'll build that into the next release.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

It would make it a bit more logical, i have to admit. (Also, the challenge of building a system that let you burn down wood yet collect the ash would make for a seriously cool thing when you got done with it, in terms of actually creating a 3D object to do it -Probably something that used waterflow, hibachis and blocks so that the destruction of the wood due to fire caused water to put the hibachi out, or some other interesting approach)

I'll be slightly cheeky here and ask if Sawdust or Soap have a use yet - Or should i keep poking around?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mrchaim wrote:It would make it a bit more logical, i have to admit. (Also, the challenge of building a system that let you burn down wood yet collect the ash would make for a seriously cool thing when you got done with it, in terms of actually creating a 3D object to do it -Probably something that used waterflow, hibachis and blocks so that the destruction of the wood due to fire caused water to put the hibachi out, or some other interesting approach)
I agree, but the thing is the present uses of Potash in the mod don't really justify that kind of complication. Would you seriously go through that much work just to bleach your excess colored wool?
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mrchaim wrote:The Pot of Ash thing caught my eye as well when i was reading wikipedia. I'm still utterly stumped on how to make it, but to be fair i've got a pretty vicious fluey thing going on, so my brain's mostly toddling around going "...brains..." with only the occasional synapse firing. Does make it a little bit hard to make connections for this sort of thing, however.

Hehe...all right, I abstracted the ash part since I didn't think it worth the extra item (or complicating the process further), which might make it slightly less than intuitive.

Anyways, I'll be nice:

In retrospect though, burning down trees to get ashes is kinda cool. Maybe I'll build that into the next release.
And this is why you shouldn't try and solve complex things while drinking canadian 83.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

FlowerChild wrote:

Anyways, I'll be nice:

Oh blast it! I was getting close and then you have to take away my glory. I was messing around with some of all the plants and a water bucket, sticking it in the cauldron kiln and crucible, even tossing stuff into a planter. The way you do it makes sense, just bypass all that crap and just melt the tree itself. Now that we have potash, it makes me sad lye was skipped, though if you aren't going to use it for soap it doesn't have many other practical uses.

Anyway, I love the changes you made to the kiln. I've been looking forward to smelting ores that way ever since I heard a mention of it. And I appreciate the fix with stoked fire, I had a small problem with one of the crucibles in my forge because of it.

It seems that with every new release of BTW, Minecraft is beginning to resemble Dwarf Fortress more and more, just minus the sociopathic midgets. I love this.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

FlowerChild wrote:
I agree, but the thing is the present uses of Potash in the mod don't really justify that kind of complication. Would you seriously go through that much work just to bleach your excess colored wool?
...Yes. Yes i would. Just for the fun of making such a system. (It's a fair point though, in terms of sheer complication vs actual functionality.)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mrchaim wrote:It would make it a bit more logical, i have to admit. (Also, the challenge of building a system that let you burn down wood yet collect the ash would make for a seriously cool thing when you got done with it, in terms of actually creating a 3D object to do it -Probably something that used waterflow, hibachis and blocks so that the destruction of the wood due to fire caused water to put the hibachi out, or some other interesting approach)
The bleach functionality is already in? awesome. Here I was thinking it was a teaser item for the moment.

Slightly off topic: Hardcore bucket mode is gonna be a bit tempting for people using buildcraft imo. I both appreciate and support BTW not specifically being balenced against other mods, but infinite fuel for combustion engines via a single lava source and a tank with a bit of manual bucketing...ah, w/e. I should sleep already so I can get up early to play MC again -.-
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:Reply with quote
Considering the fact that automated cactus farms can produce unlimited fuel for combustion engines that's probably not an issue.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote:Considering the fact that automated cactus farms can produce unlimited fuel for combustion engines that's probably not an issue.
Are you sure that's in Buildcraft and not from another mod? I'd be very surprised if SpaceToad built his entire oil system for a finite fuel source, only to put in something like cactus being burned for unlimited fuel from farming for a lower-tech engine.
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

FlowerChild wrote:
Brethern wrote:Considering the fact that automated cactus farms can produce unlimited fuel for combustion engines that's probably not an issue.
Are you sure that's in Buildcraft and not from another mod? I'd be very surprised if SpaceToad built his entire oil system for a finite fuel source, only to put in something like cactus being burned for unlimited fuel from farming for a lower-tech engine.
I think he is confusing IC and BC. Buildcraft Combustion engine can only run on lava, oil, or fuel.

On topic! Another super update! I guess productity for tomorrow is gone!
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Sky_Som wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
I think he is confusing IC and BC. Buildcraft Combustion engine can only run on lava, oil, or fuel.

On topic! Another super update! I guess productity for tomorrow is gone!
Derp,

I was thinking of the steam engine. As far as the combustion engine goes that's going to take some testing to find out what the changes will do for BC pumps.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

So, was the hardcore bucket thing inspired by the utopia challenge?
The map I'm working on right now is completely set up to be perfect for that.
This just gets better and better with every release FlowerChild. You are AWESOME.
razar51

Post by razar51 »

d'oh! Right as I finish processing my auto kiln video I notice a new release, haha!

I'll upload it anyway and test if it still works later. It doesn't depend on how long the pottery cooks so hopefully it should be fine.

The only thing I can't automate right now is the connection between auto urn making and auto soul urn making (that last part is an in progress thing, i've yet to build more than a concept) as urns don't pass through soul sand filters unless I missed something in these patch notes.

Anyways, great update as usual, interesting hardcore bucket mode, makes water pools useful!
I'm going to LOVE the extra space in block dispensers.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

razar51 wrote:d'oh! Right as I finish processing my auto kiln video I notice a new release, haha!

I'll upload it anyway and test if it still works later. It doesn't depend on how long the pottery cooks so hopefully it should be fine.

The only thing I can't automate right now is the connection between auto urn making and auto soul urn making (that last part is an in progress thing, i've yet to build more than a concept) as urns don't pass through soul sand filters unless I missed something in these patch notes.

Anyways, great update as usual, interesting hardcore bucket mode, makes water pools useful!
I'm going to LOVE the extra space in block dispensers.
I havn't tested it yet, but try filling one hopper by using a second hopper. It *should* bypass the filter. It will require some complicated wiring though.
razar51

Post by razar51 »

Stormweaver wrote: I havn't tested it yet, but try filling one hopper by using a second hopper. It *should* bypass the filter. It will require some complicated wiring though.
I already tried this, it didnt work sadly
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

razar51 wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: I havn't tested it yet, but try filling one hopper by using a second hopper. It *should* bypass the filter. It will require some complicated wiring though.
I already tried this, it didnt work sadly
:/

Could have sworn you used to be able to fill one hopper with a second hopper. Though I can see why it might not make sense.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PuppetRebel wrote:So, was the hardcore bucket thing inspired by the utopia challenge?
Nope, I can't say I've been following that thread. It actually came from me playing Terraria last weekend and realizing I was having some fun channeling water towards lava pools to make obsidian. I don't much care for that game overall, other than as an occasional diversion, but that aspect did strike me as fun.

I've never been a fan of the whole finite-water (the idea, not the mod) thing in Minecraft though as I knew it would be too huge a performance hit to expect something like that in SMP.

So I was considering what the problem really was with MC water that prevented that kind of interesting channel mechanic, and realized it just came down to the ability to transport water source-blocks.

Anyways, playing through the mod with that setting in place convinced me it was right. I had way more fun building an automated chicken farm and mill than I've had with those kinds of activities in a long time. It becomes less about following an established plan, and more about having to think on the fly to adapt your contraption to your surroundings. You also run into interesting changes in your thought process, like preserving underground streams that you find instead of plugging them up.

I think it brings a lot of subtle changes to the way the game is played, that makes it much more interesting overall. Also, it does a couple of interesting things for the mod's tech-tree. First, obviously it serves to further differentiate wind mills and water wheels, giving them each more of a distinct role even when you have access to both. Secondly, it makes a good portion of the tech-tree dependent on the player finding diamonds, as it's no longer possible to build a nether-portal using molds. I think both of these items are good for the mod overall.

Depending on how people like it, I may eventually make it the default for the mod and start building features around it as well. It opens up a lot of interesting possibilities design-wise.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Could have sworn you used to be able to fill one hopper with a second hopper. Though I can see why it might not make sense.
You can, the thing is I believe I take into account the filter on the bottom hopper when this happens, so it doesn't act as a bypass.
razar51

Post by razar51 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: Could have sworn you used to be able to fill one hopper with a second hopper. Though I can see why it might not make sense.
You can, the thing is I believe I take into account the filter on the bottom hopper when this happens, so it doesn't act as a bypass.
Yup, that is exactly what happened when I tested it out.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Mountains with source blocks up high near coastlines just became priceless. Still possible to set up massive cactus farms but it will take a lot of thought toward site and layout. Most impressive. Mob traps are likely to be far more difficult though. Lots of potential here.
Better is the enemy of Good
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: I think it brings a lot of subtle changes to the way the game is played, that makes it much more interesting overall. Also, it does a couple of interesting things for the mod's tech-tree. First, obviously it serves to further differentiate wind mills and water wheels, giving them each more of a distinct role even when you have access to both. Secondly, it makes a good portion of the tech-tree dependent on the player finding diamonds, as it's no longer possible to build a nether-portal using molds. I think both of these items are good for the mod overall.

Well, I know what I'm doing when I go on minecraft tommorow. find a nice 5 block deep lava pit...^.^ As for the hopper thing, I thought as much. Didn't know about the filters interacting though...I guess it never came up. Been a while since I really played around with hoppers.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Mountains with source blocks up high near coastlines just became priceless.
Yeah, which isn't a bad thing either IMO. Exploring and picking a suitable location for your base becomes more important. It makes the environment a bit more of an aspect of gameplay, instead of just being scenery, you dig?

It's an aspect I like of the temporary tanning recipe too: placing different values on different kinds of wood for different purposes to further encourage exploration. This is a concept I plan to play around with more in the future.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I'm actually really fond of the wood tanning recipe, even if it is temporary. I had to go on an epic ocean-spanning journey to find the resources for efficient tanning. Something about having to import foreign flora for agricultural and industrial purposes is satisfying.

I know I'm going to sound dumb here, maybe it's that I just woke up after a long nap in the middle of the night, but I'm trying to figure out the advantage of half blocks over full blocks for a BD bit counter. Any help?

EDIT: Okay, THAT'S what he meant by off blocks. Duh. But why not just use glass blocks, or bricks to achieve the same result?
razar51

Post by razar51 »

Necropolis wrote:I'm actually really fond of the wood tanning recipe, even if it is temporary. I had to go on an epic ocean-spanning journey to find the resources for efficient tanning. Something about having to import foreign flora for agricultural and industrial purposes is satisfying.

I know I'm going to sound dumb here, maybe it's that I just woke up after a long nap in the middle of the night, but I'm trying to figure out the advantage of half blocks over full blocks for a BD bit counter. Any help?

EDIT: Okay, THAT'S what he meant by off blocks. Duh. But why not just use glass blocks, or bricks to achieve the same result?
Hey same here! Except I traveled hundreds and hundreds of blocks in the nether to get from my middle of the ocean island to mainland and some pine trees =D