A way of more easily exploring late tech-tree

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Magmarashi

Re: A way of more easily exploring late tech-tree

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote:
Shengji wrote:My point is, engage brains before replying, we all know what FC has written in the past about grappling hooks, so there's no need to bring them up yet again.
Actually, I get the impression most people don't know what I've written about them in the past, as the last time I said anything about them (back on the MCF forum actually), I said I liked the idea a lot and would probably eventually include it in the mod ;)
Maybe a precident could be set that, since Turtles are the ones that are supposed to be bringing any good ideas to your attention and flushing any bad ones away, that they should also be the ones allowed to voice "FC thinks this..." on subjects?

It isn't the first time someone has gotten...zealous...and put words in your mouth that weren't there.
SCIENCE!
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

You might end up with the same problem there, though, with the only difference being that the person putting words in FC's mouth being a turtle instead of anyone.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

M!C wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
Shengji wrote:My point is, engage brains before replying, we all know what FC has written in the past about grappling hooks, so there's no need to bring them up yet again.
Actually, I get the impression most people don't know what I've written about them in the past, as the last time I said anything about them (back on the MCF forum actually), I said I liked the idea a lot and would probably eventually include it in the mod ;)
Maybe we should get a thread for "confirmed" features similar to what the vMC-wiki says about vMC. Of course there would be no guarantee that things listed there will be implemented (the wiki claims there will be additional underwatercontent ... and that has not appeared in the months since that was added).
Additionally things could be kept vague (e.g. a means of excavating larger areas or a means of getting up somewhere more easily).
This is a thing I like. And since we have a wiki, perhaps a thing that someone can simply take the lead on and do, perhaps citing forum posts or the like? I think it would be extremely useful for anyone interested in this wiki.

Then when someone suggests "a way to detect blocks further away" we can cite a comment about how FC stated that he intends to implement that in a future "optics" update.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Well now I think words have been put into my mouth. I was just pointing out that it has been extensively and exhaustively discussed and I know threads have been locked for merely mentioning the two words together. What I was trying to do was stop this turning into yet another grappling hook thread and get it going in a more creative way. You will note that FC didn't say I had put words into his mouth either.

Lesson: Run two searches at once - one here and one on the minecraft forum. I have a custom script which does this for me, i just entered grappling hook and guess what the 3rd result was. - oh and use google to search the minecraft forum, their own search sucks.
Last edited by Shengji on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Magmarashi wrote:Maybe a precident could be set that, since Turtles are the ones that are supposed to be bringing any good ideas to your attention and flushing any bad ones away, that they should also be the ones allowed to voice "FC thinks this..." on subjects?

It isn't the first time someone has gotten...zealous...and put words in your mouth that weren't there.
Given Urian fairly recently posted that FC has no interest in grappling hooks and they were very unlikely to be included, I don't think this is a great idea.

And could I ask you very nicely not to call me zealous especially when I haven't done the thing you are accusing me of.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Well, I think the OP is trying to say that all of the stuff in this mod either takes time to build, or is permanent.
For instance, you can only take the rope from above - so you must return to the spot to retrieve it, hence it is not possible to make one-time trips.
A way to pull the rope from behind isn't very realistic. Also, you would lose 3 iron.

So what we want is a TEMPORARY and QUICK way of crossing ravines, mountains and overhangs.
Well, a grappling hook is great for this, but there must be another way.

Perhaps something similar to the Zipline mod, with the handlebar?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

itamarcu wrote:Well, I think the OP is trying to say that all of the stuff in this mod either takes time to build, or is permanent.
For instance, you can only take the rope from above - so you must return to the spot to retrieve it, hence it is not possible to make one-time trips.
A way to pull the rope from behind isn't very realistic. Also, you would lose 3 iron.

So what we want is a TEMPORARY and QUICK way of crossing ravines, mountains and overhangs.
Well, a grappling hook is great for this, but there must be another way.

Perhaps something similar to the Zipline mod, with the handlebar?
hearing that FC likes the grappling hook idea generally is a good sign for me.

That would be the perfect "get up places withing leaving blocks behind" method. An alternative instead of shoot and pull, would be climbing. I mean, spiders can do it, why not Steve? :)
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

Problem, to be able to:
1 traverse ravines/cliffs
2 get up ravines/cliffs
3 get down ravines/cliffs
with the added parameter to not leave trails/expensive equipment

3 is as easy as carrying a bucket of water with you or being clever with rope and timed anchor (anchor attached to burning wool fuse?)

selfninjaeditthingamajig: won't enderpearls be able to solve all of this?

Although a grappling hook would be cool, would it have other uses later on, and IMO there could be more... original approaches...
How hard would it be to implement a 'walkable entity' (my guess at grappling hooks implemented) compared to a 'velocity changing item'? My idea would be using a rocket in coyote and roadrunner style, either as a hold an click item or as an entity like a minecart.
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Didn't someone post in another thread a mod that add this rope, you can even attach to arrows and shoot them up mountains to climb? I don't know if it is compatible with BTW though, but if it is, doesn't it do exactly what you want?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

jorgebonafe wrote:Didn't someone post in another thread a mod that add this rope, you can even attach to arrows and shoot them up mountains to climb? I don't know if it is compatible with BTW though, but if it is, doesn't it do exactly what you want?
Yeah, there is a zipline mod which basically what I'm looking for, although it still leaves stuff behind, it's still fairly mobile and feels less permenent then the anchor.

That being said I don't know if suggestions here should only be limited to things never done in another compatible mod.
Rosethorns

Post by Rosethorns »

I'm not sure if a Block ID would have to be sacrificed for this. But I do see it being more relevant than a grappling hook.

Steel Framed ladders?(normal ladders as a component) some sort of data value shift on normal ladders? but they self support up to a certain height, instead of needing to be placed on the side of blocks.

I just think they are more relevant than a grappling hook.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Magmarashi wrote: It isn't the first time someone has gotten...zealous...and put words in your mouth that weren't there.
*ears burn*
Still, that was awesome.

Anyway, I remember someone from this forum made a scaffold mod. Basically it was a block you can climb on any side and is easily destroyable. I don't have the link but I can upload it if peeps want it.

Though I think the ability to retrieve rope from the bottom has more merit, possibly shooting it with an arrow to make it break could work (you would lose the anchor, but that's realistic too)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I believe that was one of Deepsniper's mods
Better is the enemy of Good
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Someone say my name? And yeah I threw together a few lines of code... I could go look it up again and update it if you guys would like.