The BTW Utopia Challenge

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Beerkeg

Re: The BTW Utopia Challenge

Post by Beerkeg »

those are real furnaces that if right clicked bring out the cooking ui
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

Deepsniper wrote:I've started this playing map on 1.8 and im going to keep it there till BTW is up to 1.8 seeing as FC is planning on going that route. Am I allowed to do that?
Yes.
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

Quick update on my progress. Stated again after I put the dam on the top of the hill. It looked really wrong sitting up there. The new dam is sitting in a small valley, looks much more natural. So far I have only built a workshop with warehouse, a dam and just finished the farm. Nothing is completely finished yet. Partly because all the buildings need to tie in to each other and I like to wait for more ideas on adding polish, or to fix things that don't work.

This after the first couple of ingame days. The dam won't be filled till near the end. I don't want a repeat of the first dam :/
Spoiler
Show
Workshop and farm mostly finished. The dirt walkway will probably be turned into a stone bridge connecting the fort/townhall (which will sit on top of the floating ledge) to a light house in the bay.
Spoiler
Show
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

DocLazy wrote:Quick update on my progress. Stated again after I put the dam on the top of the hill. It looked really wrong sitting up there. The new dam is sitting in a small valley, looks much more natural. So far I have only built a workshop with warehouse, a dam and just finished the farm. Nothing is completely finished yet. Partly because all the buildings need to tie in to each other and I like to wait for more ideas on adding polish, or to fix things that don't work.

This after the first couple of ingame days. The dam won't be filled till near the end. I don't want a repeat of the first dam :/
Spoiler
Show
Workshop and farm mostly finished. The dirt walkway will probably be turned into a stone bridge connecting the fort/townhall (which will sit on top of the floating ledge) to a light house in the bay.
Spoiler
Show
So how does the zombiemodpack water act anyways? I'm not going to install because I have waaay to many mods installed as it is.
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

It returns water spawning to the way it use to work. It's similar to how it works now accept you don't need a block underneath. So water blocks will spawn on top of other water blocks.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

DocLazy wrote:It returns water spawning to the way it use to work. It's similar to how it works now accept you don't need a block underneath. So water blocks will spawn on top of other water blocks.
So it's not like creative mod it just place on top of water and it works?
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

Yeah basically. It fixes that problem where you can take out buckets of water from the ocean and it creates whirlpools because the water blocks you took out won't regenerate.
BlindFool

Post by BlindFool »

Hey everyone,

I started this challenge a few days ago (Real Life Days!) and thought I'd make a video for you to see my progress so far! I'm playing on 1.9 Pre Release 3, so it's absolutely vanilla at the moment, but I'm in for the long haul and I'll be keeping this updated to 1.9 and installing the mod when it catches up.

Sorry about the long intro, I have to explain to my regular audience what's going on and normally I would commentate but my voice is cracked with the flu and my sinuses are blocked, so I did it all by text - also apologies for the music, it's a Marmite moment, you'll either love it or hate it, but it's my style!

So without further ado, here's the video!

DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

Quick update on my very slow progress.

Added a building for the cauldron, a sawmill and wind mill.
Spoiler
Show

A few interior shots.
Spoiler
Show
Inside the workshop/warehouse:

Sawmill. Not yet fully automated, that dirt block will be replaced with a block dispensor.

The glass house farm:
More interior shots:
Spoiler
Show
Windmill 1st level:

2nd level:

Stoked cauldron with temporary flammable chimney:
BlindFool

Post by BlindFool »

My second video:

Some progress has been made!

DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

Finally reached the end of the BTW tech tree and finally filed in the dam and the sluice system is all connected and working.
Spoiler
Show
Pottery and smelter housing the cruicible.

The dam:
Now comes the hard part of building the elevator and lighthouse.
Spoiler
Show
So far I have only managed a mock up for the bridge, but I did dig a shaft for the elevator that goes from bedrock to the sky.
SPACEDUDE360000

Post by SPACEDUDE360000 »

DocLazy wrote:Finally reached the end of the BTW tech tree and finally filed in the dam and the sluice system is all connected and working.
Spoiler
Show
Pottery and smelter housing the cruicible.

The dam:
Now comes the hard part of building the elevator and lighthouse.
Spoiler
Show
So far I have only managed a mock up for the bridge, but I did dig a shaft for the elevator that goes from bedrock to the sky.
Looks really good. Nice job.
Why do something if you can get someone else to do it for you?
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

I'd like to say that I'm actually really enjoying this. I've never had anything strong enough to pull me out of my main world for more than a few hours, but this has actually gotten me to have quite a bit of fun. I still can't design buildings for crap, but I'm getting out of my comfort zone and building them on the surface, which is more than I can usually say. One of my favorite things has to be the "no water source blocks". I still use a pair of buckets to place source blocks to make it seem smoother, but I run water from either the lake or the reservoir to wherever I do so.

Wouldn't really be complete with out at least a few pictures;
Spoiler
Show
A shot from the top of the hill I set up by, which also houses my water reservoir. My current home, as I haven't built a house, is under the guard tower in a dungeon I found a few blocks from the surface. The Hemp farm is in the sod house, melons and pumpkins in the wood one next to it. My kiln will be in the cobble building. Potter's wheels are already in the brick house, and millstones and saws are in the stone windmill. Behind them is the kitchen, made of sandstone, and the aggregators are in the glowstone shack in the very back. Image
Spoiler
Show
A shot from my respawn point, moved to a little island in the lake when I picked here as the spot for my village. Shows the second windmill and a few other things.Image
I'm really liking having to use the windmills. In my original world (I've been playing it forever, I gen'd it in Alpha 1.1) I've got a large chest of waterwheels, so I always just stuck 'em in the ground under where I needed mechanical power. With the windmills, I've got power running from building to building, and I love how everything shuts down when it rains.

Edit: Failed to mention mods and BTW Tech progress. I'm currently using BTW and EE in this world; Buildcraft is installed, but not in use. I don't want to use anything beyond the glowstone aggregators and PS in EE, since I'm not interested in super-tools (Steel is perfect for me, I just get very bored branch mining, given I have about 20 stacks of iron in my main world (from before the gen made it more common)). As for BTW, I have just gotten enough steel for steel tools and a small surplus, but no armor yet. I don't have very reliable or efficient contraptions yet, and no auto-farms. I'm currently working on improving my kiln and crucible, then branching out to a castle gate made from platforms and auto hemp, reed, wheat, and melon farms.

TL:DR This scenario is fun, pretty pictures in spoiler tags.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>