Powering 9 Hibachis simultaneously?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battosay

Re: Powering 9 Hibachis simultaneously?

Post by Battosay »

Or just use 8 instead of 9, as suggested previously ^^
Far more easier to do ;)
http://youtu.be/RUiWPsQXpus?t=1m15s
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

This is an easy-to-conceal setup that works on floor-based pistons, it can be extended or reduced to whatever size you need.

However, this does not work on Hibachis. It functions with any other redstone device at the top I've tried, from various other mods and default setups. But Hibachis give me this...
Spoiler
Show
Lightblocks work right, Dispensers, B. Dispensers. Something in the redstone-hibachi interaction is funny.
SCIENCE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magmarashi wrote: Lightblocks work right, Dispensers, B. Dispensers. Something in the redstone-hibachi interaction is funny.
Interesting. I'll take a look at that. Are you sure Block Dispensers work in that configuration?
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote:
Magmarashi wrote: Lightblocks work right, Dispensers, B. Dispensers. Something in the redstone-hibachi interaction is funny.
Interesting. I'll take a look at that. Are you sure Block Dispensers work in that configuration?

Just tried them, and they actually don't work the same way either. I tried a whole slew of redstone-powered blocks, I must have missed actually setting them up. I know the vMC stuff works fine, the signal carries properly even if you keep stacking it up.

I know your lightblocks work properly, too.

Gearboxes and Bellows respond the same way Hibachis do, though..hmm. I hadn't actually tested those two initially because their redstone interactions slipped my mind in favor of the more obvious stuff.
SCIENCE!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:Interesting. I'll take a look at that. Are you sure Block Dispensers work in that configuration?
They don't. Hibachi, BD, GB & Pulley, all have the same behavior. The Lightblock is the only exception, and behave like the pistons.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: They don't. Hibachi, BD, GB & Pulley, all have the same behavior. The Lightblock is the only exception, and behave like the pistons.
Gotcha. Yeah, that's just the difference between direct and indirect powering.

HOWEVER, it just occurred to me that there's a change I can make to the Hibachi in particular that will make this kind of thing easier without loss of control or affecting existing circuits. I'll take a look at it right away.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I just changed the Hibachi so that it can be powered indirectly *only from below*.

Thinking it over, because the Hibachi is always oriented upwards, and because the block above it is never occupied while it is in function, I realized that I couldn't come up with a scenario where this causes loss of control over banks of Hibachis or where it causes problems with existing circuits.

If anyone sees any problems with this I may have overlooked, please let me know before the next release comes out, and I'll revert the change.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, no, never mind: I answered my own question.

This causes problems when the Hibachi is placed on top of another redstone powered block (such as a BD), and you want the two to trigger independently.

Yeah, this is the general reason I'm not fond of indirect powering and why none of the mod blocks (other than the Light Block) use it. You trade direct control for ease of placing the devices in banks that trigger simultaneously.

Going to revert the change. I don't want people's previously functioning circuitry to start bursting into flames here and there for no apparent reason.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote: I don't want people's previously functioning circuitry to start bursting into flames here and there for no apparent reason.
Eventually, we would all look back on it and laugh.
SCIENCE!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Magmarashi wrote:Eventually, we would all look back on it and laugh.
And laugh... and laugh...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.