What is unique about how BTW functions w/respect to Forge

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

What is unique about how BTW functions w/respect to Forge

Post by Mason11987 »

This is specifically a question for FC, but if anyone else has the answer, that'd be fine too.

Several large forge mods allow you to just dump a zip in the mod folder. I'm curious what specific changes are in BTW that require it to be installed in the bin. Not a complaint or anything, just curious since I just installed Buildcraft 2.2.2 and BTW 2.82.

Thanks!
Kwilt

Re: What is unique about how BTW functions w/respect to Forg

Post by Kwilt »

I'm pretty sure it has to do with BTW writing over some of the base classes from Minecraft, because there aren't adequate hooks yet.

I could be wrong, though, and I haven't a bloody clue as to how to mod or all. But I picked that up as the gist in this topic.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

KWilt wrote:I'm pretty sure it has to do with BTW writing over some of the base classes from Minecraft, because there aren't adequate hooks yet.

I could be wrong, though, and I haven't a bloody clue as to how to mod or all. But I picked that up as the gist in this topic.
Sure, that was my assumptions, I meant specifically what hooks does BTW need that make it unique in that respect.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Mason11987 wrote:
KWilt wrote:I'm pretty sure it has to do with BTW writing over some of the base classes from Minecraft, because there aren't adequate hooks yet.

Sure, that was my assumptions, I meant specifically what hooks does BTW need that make it unique in that respect.
Some of the smaller things it does can't be done through the available hooks. Making arrows activate the detector block are one, i believe.
phrost

Post by phrost »

BTW works out of mod folder, just not sure at what all doesnt work if you install it that way, some clarification would be awesome!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

phrost wrote:BTW works out of mod folder, just not sure at what all doesnt work if you install it that way, some clarification would be awesome!
No, it doesn't, and really shouldn't be installed this way. You'll run into bugs all over the place, and likely some crashes as well.

I'm not going to list them off individually, as there are a large number of them.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

phrost wrote:BTW works out of mod folder, just not sure at what all doesnt work if you install it that way, some clarification would be awesome!
Most of BTW doesn't and you'll get game crashes. Install it properly.

I know the class dealing with fire(?) is edited (without it, stoked fire = crash), but the other few I knew of have been moved over to the forge now. which is nice.

EDIT: ninja'd. by flower. dunno how to feel about that -.- no worries.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
phrost

Post by phrost »

By works I meant in a sense that the game loads and you can get into the game and not in regards to specific features which would crash it, but yea, I did put it in the jar!
It will be very nice to eventually be able to drop it into the mods folder however.