Another Elevator by Atomic

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Atomic

Another Elevator by Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Hello everyone,

I've made another elevator, and this one is much better than my last.

With this one I used the Red Power mod along with the much beloved Better Than Wolves to make a fully functional 5 story elevator. This one is extremely compact in terms of wiring, thanks to the Red Power mod (you can read more about it here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365 ... tone-pipe/).
It features Sliding doors, an elevator position indicator on each floor, and a call elevator button on bottom (too much trouble to wire it for each floor, and i forgot to wire it on top).

I just finished it and all in all it took around 14 or so hours of work.

Here are some screenshots I took mostly, displaying the wiring. Pictures really don't do it justice.
(6 images)
Spoiler
Show
Youtube video:
Spoiler
Show
-side note: I think using the forge API is a great move by FC. This is a good example of it, and I currently have BTW, RedPower, and BuildCraft running seamlessly.

And finally here's a download link to the world for anyone who's interested
NOTE: YOU HAVE TO HAVE RED POWER FOR THIS TO WORK AT ALL

http://www.mediafire.com/?69cf6opepj0i7zx(3.3 MB)
Kudos to anyone who actually traces the wires to see how it works.

PS: For those who don't want to download, or don't have Red Power, I'll be uploading a video showcasing this elevator soon.
VID UP

Thanks and tell me what you think.

EDIT: updated download link (fixed a few small bugs, added some more lights, and the call elevator button on top)
Last edited by Atomic on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Camerinthus

Re: Another Elevator by Atomic

Post by Camerinthus »

That looks epic, man. This is why I'm thinking about getting redpower, so that it doesn't take miles of circuitry to make something useful like this. Also, it looks like a real circuit with the wires :D.
IGN: Camerinthus
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Camerinthus wrote:That looks epic, man. This is why I'm thinking about getting redpower, so that it doesn't take miles of circuitry to make something useful like this. Also, it looks like a real circuit with the wires :D.
yeah man
after i saw the vid on the forgeAPI thread, i decided to try it out. and i fell in love with it.

i really dont think this elevator would've been possible without it, at least for me.

If you saw my other one, it was only 3 story and didn't use the piston/block detector method; it took up a ton of space. i can just imagine how much space this one would take if done with conventional redstone.

be sure to check back in a day or so for the vid
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

I may go back to my old 12-story elevator project soon. I gave up on it after the addition of MoareAI's diodes made it lag to 3 FPS if I touched a button, but I may try it once again. The timing isn't too bad to work out... This looks pretty cool, good job.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fracture wrote:I may go back to my old 12-story elevator project soon. I gave up on it after the addition of MoareAI's diodes made it lag to 3 FPS if I touched a button, but I may try it once again. The timing isn't too bad to work out... This looks pretty cool, good job.
thanks, and yeah i remember seeing yours and it blew my mind.

another thing about this design is its easily expandable, if you know the basic wiring scheme.
it's not based on timing, but sticky pistons/detector block triggering a brake.
Last edited by Atomic on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Atomic wrote:
Fracture wrote:I may go back to my old 12-story elevator project soon. I gave up on it after the addition of MoareAI's diodes made it lag to 3 FPS if I touched a button, but I may try it once again. The timing isn't too bad to work out... This looks pretty cool, good job.
thanks, and yeah i remember seeing yours and it blew my mind.

another think about this design is its easily expandable, if you know the basic wiring scheme.
it's not based on timing, but sticky pistons/detector block triggering a brake.
Yeah, mine also uses sticky piston + detector braking-- the issue is that the lag makes some of the platforms trigger strange. One corner will stop on time, but the other three carry on for another block (this despite the fact that redstone power reaches all 4 pulleys at the same moment-- they're on the same string of cable). I may rework the design to use a single pulley (I prefer the look of a circle-ish 4-pulley platform, but they're too finicky) and possibly to be expandable. If I set aside another two signals, I think I could cut two from the original 12 possible floors and boost it to 20.

Use a third signal from the buttons to trigger sticky pistons engaging the wiring for the first or second set of 10, respectively. And if I got really fancy (though the height limits on the world would make it kinda silly) I could do 3 sets of 9 floors, or go even up to 6 sets of 6 for the max possibilities of the design I use.

Dear god though-- trying to fit 35 buttons every floor for an elevator with a shaft that's supported by one pulley...? Dx

Just out of curiosity (too busy with my own projects to take a look just yet) what design scheme do you use? Mine's pretty much an assload of RS latches hooked up to various circuits that are engaged or disengaged by yet other RS latches xD

Seeing another great elevator makes me inspired to get back to work on mine haha. I'm tempted to make a new one legit, but the thousands of cables needed, not to mention how hard it is without flight... ugh... I don't think it's worth it to fix my old one though-- a lot of the time I spent on it was figuring out the wiring anyway.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yeah, mine also uses sticky piston + detector braking-- the issue is that the lag makes some of the platforms trigger strange. One corner will stop on time, but the other three carry on for another block (this despite the fact that redstone power reaches all 4 pulleys at the same moment-- they're on the same string of cable). I may rework the design to use a single pulley (I prefer the look of a circle-ish 4-pulley platform, but they're too finicky) and possibly to be expandable. If I set aside another two signals, I think I could cut two from the original 12 possible floors and boost it to 20.
I think i know what you're talking about, i ran into a timing problem when i tried to use 2 pulleys...
I couldn't figure out the problem for the life of me (i even tried using 2 different power sources and cutting the power at the same gearbox and still timing was off), it seemed that if i got it timed right for one floor it would throw off another floor. so i just removed some platforms and went with 1 pulley.

Use a third signal from the buttons to trigger sticky pistons engaging the wiring for the first or second set of 10, respectively. And if I got really fancy (though the height limits on the world would make it kinda silly) I could do 3 sets of 9 floors, or go even up to 6 sets of 6 for the max possibilities of the design I use.

Dear god though-- trying to fit 35 buttons every floor for an elevator with a shaft that's supported by one pulley...? Dx
lmao that would be rediculous, the contol panel would be hell to configure even if you managed to fit a 5x7 wall full of buttons (not to mention extra room for all the freakin signs to label them). you would have to use at least 3 different color bundled cables to even get all the signals, then just imagine trying to keep track of what color insulated wire from what color bundled cable goes to which floor. OH GOD MY BRAIN.
Just out of curiosity (too busy with my own projects to take a look just yet) what design scheme do you use? Mine's pretty much an assload of RS latches hooked up to various circuits that are engaged or disengaged by yet other RS latches xD
Ok.. let me try to explain this... Before i started workin on this i had no idea how to do it.
Each floor has a detector block attached to a piston, which is engaged/disengaged based on the signal from an rs latch. The detector block as you may know controls the brake and the doors.
The rs latch on each floor has anywhere from 1 - 3 inputs per side ( on / off ) these come from the buttons on the control panels.

each floor has a 4 button control panel (1 button for every other floor). i've got these configured like this
Spoiler
Show
I used the same color insulated cable on each floor (except the top, which is confusing). these cables lead off to every floor (via the bundled cable to the left) to perform checks based on the input... for example if you're going from floor 1 to floor 5, it needs to check that all of the detector blocks are disengaged. and if you go from floor 2 to 4 it checks to make sure that three is disengaged and that 4 is engaged. that way it can go up to the right floor stopping. so i connect the signal to the appropriate side of the rs latch.

At the same time that it performs the checks, it sends a signal out the other side (to the right) of the bundled cable which converts the 4 different inputs to 1 of 2 outputs (up/down). I used red for up and grey for down. you can see an example here:
Spoiler
Show
the repeaters keep signals from other floors from interfering with the detector block check.
I did that for each floor except the top and bottom (because you can only go one direction from those floors).

Then the third system i have implemented is a really simple indicator. it takes the signal from the doors (if they are open it sends a signal) and i direct it to the appropriate lamp. you can probably see this from the pics in the OP.

so yeah thats the best i can explain it, it was probably overkill considering you've made one yourself.
Seeing another great elevator makes me inspired to get back to work on mine haha. I'm tempted to make a new one legit, but the thousands of cables needed, not to mention how hard it is without flight... ugh... I don't think it's worth it to fix my old one though-- a lot of the time I spent on it was figuring out the wiring anyway.
Personally I'll probably never build an elevator of this scale on a legitimate world, the effort involved wouldn't be worth the result. and like you said, having to craft all the cables, and doing it without flying would increase the time a ton. and because of that, keeping up with the wiring would be damn near impossible (unless you wrote out a diagram, which i didn't i just kept it all in my head).

But you should keep working on them, i love seeing what people can make with BTW and i'll be on the lookout for more redpower contraptions now.

Sorry for an extremely long post. lol
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Ahh, alright, I see now. I'm glad you made the long explanation, it's a different setup from the one I did and seems a bit more compact.

The way I did it was to have each button send out a signal through a repeater down two lines. One would always be either black or white, which was to determine if it was above or below the current floor, respectively, and the other was one of 12 colours-- one per floor.

The black/white was run up to the RS attached to the gearbox to determine up/down, and also had a converter so that anything along black or white would also pulse an orange. Orange hit the RESET side of all 12 floor-dedicated RS latches to remove the brakes, while the custom-colour pulse, delayed along the line so that it hit after the orange, would pulse the SET side of the latch for whichever floor the elevator was destined for, re-engaging the brakes.

Wiring a double-output from buttons was chunky as hell, and your design seems to circumvent that a bit.

I'm very tempted, now, to challenge myself to a 20-floor. I can't believe I'm cruel enough to myself that I'd even think of it, but damn do I ever want to. I think my best bet would be a central pulley for the platform, that way I could use 3 walls for the buttons and one for the doors. It'll be tight, but I might be able to pull it off. If not, I'll have to have the buttons in the hallway and the disengagement for current floor brakes on the elevator itself, but that would be an incredible pain...

Now that I think about it though, my best bet would be to use 2 sides for the buttons-- one side for the first set, one side for the second. The reset would be the only unanimous function then, which would allow for 24 floors without interference from one another. Maybe? Trying to picture all this wiring is brain-melting... I'll attempt to plan it out in the morning xD

Nonetheless, can't back down now. No time this weekend, but perhaps next weekend I'll dedicate myself to that.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I think i understand how yours is wired, and that does seem like it would take up a lot of space but it gets the job done. And i agree, i never can plan out redstone wiring in my head really well. the only way i can plan it out is if i'm in minecraft physically testing it lol.

I hope you can find time to download mine and try it out, maybe it'll provide you with some insight on your next one.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Added a video demonstrating, and describing how it works. Check it out and tell me what you think.
Waughoo

Post by Waughoo »

All I can say is...
HOLY CRAP!
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Looking very nice Atomic. I never did get around to that psycho project we discussed haha. Maybe after release :P