Likin' the Balance

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Necropolis

Likin' the Balance

Post by Necropolis »

Just did a play-through from the bottom up the new tech ladder, and I gotta say, I'm liking this balance. I'm not over-accumulating any BTW related resources, I'm using everything in the tech tree because it's the rational thing to do, and not just because I can, and I'm not feeling any overly long spaces of just hanging around waiting for something to grow or happen. I've actually felt the need to establish a presence in the nether, I have increased efficiency with my builds, and the new soul urns are delightful, with tons of potential for automated shooting ranges, or even batting cages. The temporary fixes are a god-send, most notably due to a complete lack of any animal life in my archipelago, so the rotten flesh -> glue and wood -> tanned leather are extremely useful. A single long boat trip to collect some pine saplings and cows supplies all my needs for the foreseeable future.

All in all, thank you for the complete integration of BTW tech into a progression. The flow is nice, and I'm looking forward to more steel/alchemy in the future!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Likin' the Balance

Post by FlowerChild »

Glad you like it man. Nice to see someone is appreciating the rebalance and that it's not all just complaints about things being more difficult to acquire :)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

FlowerChild wrote:Glad you like it man. Nice to see someone is appreciating the rebalance and that it's not all just complaints about things being more difficult to acquire :)
I'm aware that I am really bad at letting you know when I'm happy with the mod, and I've realized that in general I am very bad at just letting people know I'm pleased. For what it's worth, I am also very happy with the changes to the tech tree and what it has done to the progression through the ages. Thank you!
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

The balance reason is one of the many reasons why I like this mod, its not one oft those "instant stuff" mods like redstone weapons or obsidian weapons. It's a very progressive and in-depth mod. :)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

The balance? Definitely beautiful. But compared to a few releases ago, it takes so damn long to get anywhere. @_@

Don't worry, I'm not complaining FC. I'm just a slowpoke, and that's my own problem. It usually takes me about a week in game to build the most simple house. I'm always just too busy exploring, so it takes me a long time to do anything. But once I do get the time past and get things done, everything works beautifully.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

I'll say here too, I love the rebalance! I actually really appreciate the slowdown of the mod, I get to enjoy each age without constantly moving on to the next one! There's no better way to play minecraft!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Adding my voice to the it's sweet! commentary - It was sheer joy to slowly build up to constant mechincal power, and then building things like a dedicated grinding system - I'm now at the point with my base where i'm going to disaamble stuff and rebuild it elsewhere to spread things out, as well as making more deciated facilites that can handle bigger tasks.

I do still as i mentioned, have some qualms over Nethrcoal and Hellfire dust, which i feel like i've ended up with a massive abunance off (Mainly from trying to make Soul Urns), but i'm more than happy to wait and see what the tech tree brings down the line.

Mucho kudos dood!
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I use it to cook stone that I make into stone bricks. It's way faster than the cauldron, and the bricks are just about the most attractive choice of building materials at the moment.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Husbag3 wrote:The balance reason is one of the many reasons why I like this mod, its not one oft those "instant stuff" mods like redstone weapons or obsidian weapons. It's a very progressive and in-depth mod. :)
Haha, that's pretty much why I like it. Instead of giving you a few more toys to play with, it adds entire technological systems, which require progression rather than lots of diamonds :)
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Lots of diamonds. . . does that sound familiar?

Anyway, I would have to agree, the rebalance is great, even if it forces me to begin a new base.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

FlowerChild wrote:Glad you like it man. Nice to see someone is appreciating the rebalance and that it's not all just complaints about things being more difficult to acquire :)
ugh it's still too easy to get everything!!!!!!

TooManyItems ruins me D:

jk lol, yeah I LOVE how things are now, you actually have to work hard to get things going, and yet it still has the fun element to it :)

Thanks! :D
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

I really have to agree with the sentiment here. On my first BTW map, I had a hard time justifying using the windmill for anything when the waterwheel was easier to build and more robust. Moving the trees around has really increased the "earning your way" progression feel. I literally sighed with relief when I built my first waterwheel in 2.98.

The only thing I seem to be having a bottleneck with is redstone. Might be the map, but I have 38 iron blocks lying around not being used and a full set of steel gear, and I've run dry of the red powder ages ago. Just had to cannibalize my saw setup to build a larger grinding room. Were there any plans to enhance redstone in the future? Maybe in the same vein as the coal => nethercoal progression?
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

Better than wolves really is a star. Hell, I do take time playing this rather than continuing the mod I am making. Its so freaking nice hahaha! Thank you so much FlowerChild! I also got some credits from my mod so I would now be able to donate if ever you show up that donate button hahaha :D
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

I have exactly one wolf (I think its pack ran away and despawned before I could tame any more :( ), and I intend to turn it into a doggy and take it with me when I go exploring. While I haven't tried the mod before now, I'm kinda glad I don't have to leave it behind to poop on the carpet.

And glue would be just amazing if I were only using this mod without Equivalent Exchange.

I hate mods that just give you things.

(*hides her TooManyItems install*)
Check my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/nekhs.
It's usually on sometime between 12AM-3:30AM CST.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Nekhs wrote:I have exactly one wolf (I think its pack ran away and despawned before I could tame any more :( ), and I intend to turn it into a doggy and take it with me when I go exploring. While I haven't tried the mod before now, I'm kinda glad I don't have to leave it behind to poop on the carpet.

And glue would be just amazing if I were only using this mod without Equivalent Exchange.

I hate mods that just give you things.

(*hides her TooManyItems install*)
If you hate TMI, then don't use it, except for "testing." :p

The organization into a tech tree rather that a cloud of sorts is really nice too, it forces you to explore features to advance which may lead to you using them for other things, which is a great aspect of BTW. Many mods give you items with your only incentive to use them is that they are nifty.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.