A Random Quote

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Quesoman

Re: A Random Quote

Post by Quesoman »

L'enfer, c'est les autres.
-Jean-Paul Sartre

Glory is a poison one should only have in small doses.

Life, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.
- Thomas Hobbes

I also have some less grim ones hanging around:

Before going out to change the world, walk 3 times around your own house.
-Chineese proverb

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
-Einstein

And my personal favourite:
If it is solvable, why complain? If it isn't solvable, why complain?
-Arabian proverb

This last one helps to shut up very annoying people ;)
Cultures are born and die, but the cheese is immortal.

-A very wise man
Thyphon

Post by Thyphon »

"better to reign in hell than serve in heaven" - John Milton

That's what i think when ever i make Soulforged Steel. :)
DragonFire2876

Post by DragonFire2876 »

lifes a bitch then you die (so many times have i thought of this when things are going wrong and funny enough i dont know who was the first one to say this to me)
one mans trash is another mans treasure
one mans ceiling is another mans floor
give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

and just for lolz
three tree! three fish in a tree! three fish in a tree how can that be? -Dr seuss
all procrastinators unite...............................tomorrow
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

"It is necessary (...) to presuppose that all men are evil and that they are always going to act according to the wickedness of their spirits whenever they have free scope. " - Niccolo Machiavelli

After thinking about that one a lot and having some interesting philosophical discussions with people, I'm inclined to believe it's true. The only good in men is how well we can control it.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Here's a quote from the Iron Chancellor himself, Otto Von Bismarck:

"They treat me like a fox, a cunning fellow of the first rank. But the truth is that with a gentleman I am always a gentleman and a half, and when I have to deal with a scoundrel, I try to be a scoundrel and a half."

...I think that's a good description of everyone on the internet, and the mindset of everyone that loves being the bad guy from time to time. =]
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

DragonFire2876 wrote:give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
And then of course there's this variant:

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
Set the man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

DragonFire2876 wrote:
give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
I knew this in this way (somehow related with the communism):
''Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a perfect business possibility.''

Also:

''If the archer shoots for fun, it's shooting accurately.
If the archer shoots for a gold ring, it's hand is shakeing.
If the archer shoots for the first prize of a turnament, it's sight is misty.''
(this is a relatively inaccurately quoted zen buddhist koan (if I remember right), but I think you can understand what it's trying to say)

And:

''Coffee first, brush teeth later.''
~Adam Phillips
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

"It's a fez/stetson. Fezes/stetsons are cool."
-Doctor Who.

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana."
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Urian

Post by Urian »

"Because I can lie beautiful, true things into existence, let people escape from inside their own heads and see through other eyes."
-Neil Gaiman (on why he writes)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
TheTJackson

Post by TheTJackson »

It disappoints me the lack of Firefly quotes in this thread.
So as follows:
"I brought you some supper but if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped...sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

"Ten percent of nuthin' is...let me do the math here...nuthin' into nuthin'...carry the nuthin'..."

"What did I say to you about barging into my shuttle?"
"That it was manly and impulsive?"
"Yes, precisely. Only the exact phrase I used was 'don't'."

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you."

and finally,

"You know, with the exception of one deadly and unpredictable midget, this girl is the smallest cargo I've ever had to transport. Yet by far the most troublesome. Does that seem right to you?"
"What'd he do?"
"Who?"
"The midget."
"Arson. Little man loved fire."
Until Next Time,
"That girl will rain destruction down on you and your ship She is an albatross, Captain
Way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck, 'til some idiot killed it
Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint"
Likewhat

Post by Likewhat »

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers."
joetalbot1

Post by joetalbot1 »

"Never trust someone who never opens their eyes or stops smiling."
Bucket list:
Visit Antarctica. check
Nearly cause a flame war over MLP. check
Cost Flowerchild some sanity. check
Say,"I've seen everything, now to die." why would I?
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

"Excuse me, but real programmers use butterflies. They open their hands and let them flap once. The disturbance ripples outward, changing the flow of the eddy currents in the upper atmosphere. These cause momentary pockets of high pressure air to form, which act as lenses which deflect incoming atomic rays, focusing them to strike the drive platter and flip the desired bit." -XKCD

Win.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

danielngtiger wrote:"Excuse me, but real programmers use butterflies. They open their hands and let them flap once. The disturbance ripples outward, changing the flow of the eddy currents in the upper atmosphere. These cause momentary pockets of high pressure air to form, which act as lenses which deflect incoming atomic rays, focusing them to strike the drive platter and flip the desired bit." -XKCD

Win.
Opening up your hard drive to the elements is a bad idea. The space between the read/write heads and the platter is smaller than a dust speck, and can be easily messed up by dust. No, real programmers set the universal constants as such so that the universe evolves to contain the desired data on the disc.
Urian

Post by Urian »

danielngtiger wrote:"Excuse me, but real programmers use butterflies. They open their hands and let them flap once. The disturbance ripples outward, changing the flow of the eddy currents in the upper atmosphere. These cause momentary pockets of high pressure air to form, which act as lenses which deflect incoming atomic rays, focusing them to strike the drive platter and flip the desired bit." -XKCD

Win.

C-x M-c M-butterfly
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

grimper12341 wrote:"It is necessary (...) to presuppose that all men are evil and that they are always going to act according to the wickedness of their spirits whenever they have free scope. " - Niccolo Machiavelli

After thinking about that one a lot and having some interesting philosophical discussions with people, I'm inclined to believe it's true. The only good in men is how well we can control it.
Pulling us off topic for a bit here...but does anyone else agree with that view?
Urian

Post by Urian »

grimper12341 wrote:
grimper12341 wrote:"It is necessary (...) to presuppose that all men are evil and that they are always going to act according to the wickedness of their spirits whenever they have free scope. " - Niccolo Machiavelli

Pulling us off topic for a bit here...but does anyone else agree with that view?
Nope but I have been involved in several discussions regarding that egoism is the main (or in some discussions, the only) driving force behind human behavior. Egoism isn't something negative or evil though, merely putting one's own interests first. E.g. someone giving money to charity or beggars do so in order to feel good about themselves.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Urian wrote: Nope but I have been involved in several discussions regarding that egoism is the main (or in some discussions, the only) driving force behind human behavior. Egoism isn't something negative or evil though, merely putting one's own interests first. E.g. someone giving money to charity or beggars do so in order to feel good about themselves.
Ego only explains so much though.
Have you head of the Stanford Prison Experiment?
http://www.prisonexp.org/

There's more detail on that site, but basically it was an experiment to see what happen if you put ordinary college students into roles as a prison guard or a prisoner. None of them had any history of psychological incidents or drug abuse, yet by the end of it the prison guards were abusing the prisoners and treating them like animals.

From what I can see though, there were no women in that experiment; all the students are referred to as boys. Can you imagine women doing the same thing?

Also think about crimes committed against humanity throughout history, Hitler and the holocaust for example. 99% of the people that committed these crimes were male.
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

grimper12341 wrote:From what I can see though, there were no women in that experiment; all the students are referred to as boys. Can you imagine women doing the same thing?
Yes. Easily. I mean, really really easily.* The hard part is usually imagining *yourself* doing bad things. You'd never kill someone because you were told to, right? And oooobviously I never would, I'm faaaaaar too heroic and noble for that.
Also think about crimes committed against humanity throughout history, Hitler and the holocaust for example. 99% of the people that committed these crimes were male.
Well... yes. History is full of patriarchy. You can't perpetrate crimes against humanity if you're the oppressed 50% of the population.

I don't think a topic dedicated to thought-provoking statements usually too short to clarify their meaning was ever NOT going to dissolve into meandering discussion, but here's a nice quote anyway:
"Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which are there."
- Feynman

* - I suspect you meant, "do you expect women to do the same thing?" to which my answer is 'I don't know, I'd like to find out though'.
What Strange Devices!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

grimper12341 wrote:From what I can see though, there were no women in that experiment; all the students are referred to as boys. Can you imagine women doing the same thing?

Yeah, bullcrap, women are just as bad as men.

There's obviously NO examples whatsoever of women dictators, none at all. And surely none of em ever commited any crimes against society.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

"My armour is contempt, my shield is disgust and my sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive..." -WAR40K

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. " -Nietzsche
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

In the throes of existence, here is an unfortunate truth.

Depression can seem worse than terminal cancer, because most cancer patients feel loved and they have hope and self-esteem.” ~ David D. Burns

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)