M!C's News Compilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: M!C's News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Only bug patches will be free, not content updates. That's why I'm worried. Will the full village system be an update, or will they fix it as part of bug patches.

If there's a distinct "village update", we'll probably have to pay for it.
Well, in all fairness, this makes no mention of what updates will be charged for or not. To me, it sounds more like they just wanted to leave the door open legally to release expansion they will charge for or what have you instead of being locked-down by "all updates will be free forever".

I think we'll have to wait and see on this. Just because they left the door open for it doesn't mean they're going to start using it immediately. I think charging for each update would pretty much be the death of modding.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:I think we'll have to wait and see on this. Just because they left the door open for it doesn't mean they're going to start using it immediately. I think charging for each update would pretty much be the death of modding.
Sure, we'll have to wait and see, but this also means that my money is in their hands. It's not as much the money (which won't be much and it's the only game I've played this year), as it is the fact that I bought into a certain business model and agreed to a license that now seems silly.

They have the legal right to ask extra money for features that are half-added to the version I paid for. That does somewhat irk me.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Really? That's really lame. Put half a feature in and expect us to pay for it for it to be completed? I would hope that they made it more like an expansion pack at the very least. But don't they make enough money? Seriously?
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Whoa, hold on, they haven't said anything one way or the other. The only thing is that a loophole exists that they could use. Lets not get all bent out of shape over something that isn't even happening.
SCIENCE!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

To be honest...I'm just going to see where things go. So long as FC's updating, the only thing I'll be irritated about will be that the bulk of the money I spend on minecraft won't be going to the reason I play it -.- [/fanboyism]
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gilberreke wrote: Only bug patches will be free, not content updates. That's why I'm worried. Will the full village system be an update, or will they fix it as part of bug patches.

If there's a distinct "village update", we'll probably have to pay for it.
Well, in all fairness, this makes no mention of what updates will be charged for or not. To me, it sounds more like they just wanted to leave the door open legally to release expansion they will charge for or what have you instead of being locked-down by "all updates will be free forever".

I think we'll have to wait and see on this. Just because they left the door open for it doesn't mean they're going to start using it immediately. I think charging for each update would pretty much be the death of modding.
I honestly hope they start charging for extra content, that way I can say fuck you I spent enough on this game as it is.

I know that allot of people think I'm being to hard on notch but myself like a few million others spent good money on a unfinished product. If I had it to do over again I'd have never bought minecraft knowing what I know now.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Magmarashi wrote:Whoa, hold on, they haven't said anything one way or the other. The only thing is that a loophole exists that they could use. Lets not get all bent out of shape over something that isn't even happening.
As far as I remember, it was said long ago that the pay-to-play content would be extra modes and stuff like that, not the regular updates. Sure, if they turned truly evil, they could charge us for everything that isn't a bugfix but I doubt they would go that far.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Could have sworn that there was an 'all future updates free' statement back when I bought it in alpha.
Better is the enemy of Good
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

It's Mojang's game, and they have the control over whatever they want for their game.

But we also have control over whether we pay for their plans as well. After all, it's our money and and it is up to each individuals to decide whether paid content is worth paying for.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

DaveYanakov wrote:Could have sworn that there was an 'all future updates free' statement back when I bought it in alpha.
Yeah, all updates are free for alpha accounts
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I think we'll have to wait and see on this. Just because they left the door open for it doesn't mean they're going to start using it immediately. I think charging for each update would pretty much be the death of modding.
Sure, we'll have to wait and see, but this also means that my money is in their hands. It's not as much the money (which won't be much and it's the only game I've played this year), as it is the fact that I bought into a certain business model and agreed to a license that now seems silly.

They have the legal right to ask extra money for features that are half-added to the version I paid for. That does somewhat irk me.
When you paid money the game wasn't even REMOTELY as complete as it is now, and if you're anything like me you've put hundreds of hours into a game you paid $15 for. People being upset that the game is only 100x more interesting, as opposed to 200x as interesting as when they bought on, just seems really petty to me. The game was worth $15 back in alpha (even more so in beta), it's FAR more then that now, and you played it for months, most likely. You can hope that the game gets much much better before release, but if $15 was what you paid for gaming this year, there really isn't any ground for being "irked".
Brethern wrote:I honestly hope they start charging for extra content, that way I can say fuck you I spent enough on this game as it is.

I know that allot of people think I'm being to hard on notch but myself like a few million others spent good money on a unfinished product. If I had it to do over again I'd have never bought minecraft knowing what I know now.
$15 is "good money" for 100s of hours of entertainment? I remember when I had a paper route, and I spent $15 on a movie and it was just "meh". Sure I was upset, but the people in the Minecraft community get so outraged over this, it's unbelievable. Most people who are active in the community probably paid far less then a quarter per hour of entertainment. That is NOT "good money". I hope they charge more for content, if only for the possibility that it might thin the community out a little bit.

People say they wouldn't have done it, but then why not sell your account for $5-$10? Someone will buy it, and then you get out of what you perceive to be a bad deal. Everyone wins!
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

What on earth are you talking about?

First of all, the average game on my shelf has over 400 hours of play into it. I don't buy a lot of games (about one each two years), but when I do, I wear that sucker down.

Secondly, I've paid more than the $15 dollars, since I paid for donations for mods/servers when I like what I see. I'm an active community member and I have the money, so why not?

And when that next update comes out, you'll be sure I'll be the first in line to shell out more money. I love Minecraft and I love Mojang.

That being said, what I did not do was pay for a beta that hardly got any new features since I bought it, to then get an arbitrary release date featuring half-done gameplay. It's a bad business model and it needed to be said.

(you are right about one thing, $15 is not "good money", I earn more each hour spinning records at the local bar)
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Like I said, I just hope "content update" means something more like "expansion pack". A significant addition I wouldn't mind paying $10 or $15 for. At least if it was something like that modders could specify: "Mod works for such and such packs."
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Brethern wrote:I honestly hope they start charging for extra content, that way I can say fuck you I spent enough on this game as it is.
Lol.

Comon' man, be serious.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Battosay wrote:
Lol.

Comon' man, be serious.
Yeah no.

I spent 15$ on a game where every update has been shit once notch decides to stop fooling around I might consider being serious but as of right now I'm not purchasing any more minecraft related stuff.

It works like this for games like Fallout I don't have to purchase addon's however I know that addon's will either bring in more levels perks items weapons enemies quests or something that's going to be worth it.

With minecraft I'm going to be lucky if the next update has a half working potion system.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote:...15$...
All right guys, take it down a notch. 15$ is nothing to spend on a game, and despite my own problems with the dev direction of Minecraft at times, all this bitching is far from endearing.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:
All right guys, take it down a notch. 15$ is nothing to spend on a game, and despite my own problems with the dev direction of Minecraft at times, all this bitching is far from endearing.
Haha, yeah, can't even get a decent pizza for that money :D
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote:
This is why I don't do even a little bit of modding, misstep and people turn into piranhas.
SCIENCE!
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Hell, I've paid $50 or more on games that I haven't played nearly as much as I have Minecraft.
That said, how about we reel this topic back into civilized mode? I'd hate to see M!Cs awesome thread be locked.
On that note:
The ender dragons look pretty cool.
Spoiler
Show
The "destroy everything it touches" thing is pretty crazy, though.
M!C

Post by M!C »

PuppetRebel wrote:Hell, I've paid $50 or more on games that I haven't played nearly as much as I have Minecraft.
That said, how about we reel this topic back into civilized mode? I'd hate to see M!Cs awesome thread be locked.
On that note:
Spoiler
Show
No! Don't lock me! *makes a back-up of OP* ;)
And that dragon really looks awesome + we need not fear it since it'll only have that destructive feature in the new dimension (the tweet stating that is on the way, just wait a sec ;) )
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

PuppetRebel wrote:Hell, I've paid $50 or more on games that I haven't played nearly as much as I have Minecraft.
On that note:
Spoiler
Show
God, we'll have to start making AA guns to shoot down this things before they throw themselves on our buildings and wreck everything :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

PuppetRebel wrote: The ender dragons look pretty cool.
That animation is bootylicious !
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I got the impression that the "destroy everything it touches" wouldn't make it into release, it's more so it doesn't need to have collision avoiding at the moment when testing. The animation is really good looking for MC, by far the best looking thing in vMC I'd say.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Urian wrote:The animation is really good looking for MC, by far the best looking thing in vMC I'd say.
I was about to say this. It's kinda left the rest of minecraft behind imo. Needs moar blocky movement, or everything else bringing up to scratch.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Watching it obliterate swatches of landscape and water was pretty damn scary if I do say so. Guh.
SCIENCE!