Gamepad and Minecraft

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Rugaard

Gamepad and Minecraft

Post by Rugaard »

anyone use a gamepad with MC?
Ive recently gotten one and wanted to see how well i can play MC using it, and the results are interesting
PuppetRebel

Re: Gamepad and Minecraft

Post by PuppetRebel »

I've considered it. With Minecraft coming out for XBox it's really not that crazy. It would be difficult to adjust to though.
Urian

Post by Urian »

No but I have played Minecraft with a wacom tablet.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

its a lot easier to adjust to if you can set up your own controls however its not easy to decide what should go where. took me a few hours to realize that i can put the hot keys onto the directional buttons. though getting spring assigned to one of the shoulder buttons was a great idea
Urian wrote:No but I have played Minecraft with a wacom tablet.
how does that work? lol
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

I had a setup using my Xbox controller and it took a little getting used to for a few minutes but after that it was good. I prefer the mouse and keyboard more for MC, though, dunno why because I usually prefer controller.
SCIENCE!
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Magmarashi wrote:I had a setup using myXbox PS-3 controller and it took a little getting used to for a few minutes but after that it was good. I prefer the mouse and keyboard more for MC, though, dunno why because I usually prefer controller.
That is the same for me

I have a PS-3 style controller and have played minecraft with it. I was kinda hard to button map . And i don't normally play with it.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Rugaard wrote:
how does that work? lol
It doesn't ;) Well, it does... barely. I guess it depends on your definition of "working".
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I've managed to get it working with a Steelseries 3GC (knockoff Xbox controller for PC use), although it doesn't work very well. Might just be because I'm not used to dual-stick controls for first-person games, though.

I use GlovePie to do it, and the script I use is below (modified from one I found on the MCF)
Spoiler
Show

Code: Select all

//Settings
var.TurnSpeed = 15 //Sensitivity used for right joystick
var.InvSpeed = 18 //Sensitivity used for POVHat - supposed to make it move one square

//Rest is actual code

//Basic movement (Left Stick)
Key.W = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.y, 0,-1, 0,1)
Key.A = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.x, 0,-1, 0,1)
Key.S = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.y, 0,1, 0,1)
Key.D = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.x, 0,1, 0,1)

//Buttons
Key.Space = Joystick1.Button5 //LB
/*This entire block makes it wait a moment, then move the mouse down.
  Makes it more centered on the inventory items but results in the
  view shifting slightly when coming out of inventory*/
if (Pressed(Joystick1.Button9)){ //Back
   Key.E=1
   Wait(50ms)
   Mouse.DirectInputY=Mouse.DirectInputY + var.InvSpeed/2
}else{
   Key.E=0
}
//Comment out the above if-else block and uncomment the next two lines to disable
//Key.E = Joystick1.Button7

Key.Escape = Joystick1.Button10 //Start

//Mouse Stuff
//Turning (Right Stick)
Mouse.DirectInputX = Mouse.DirectInputX + var.TurnSpeed*deadzone(Joystick1.z)//Joystick1.Axis4)
Mouse.DirectInputY = Mouse.DirectInputY + var.TurnSpeed*deadzone(Joystick1.roll)//Axis5)
//Clicking
Mouse.LeftButton = Joystick1.Button7 //LT
Mouse.RightButton = Joystick1.Button8 //RT
Mouse.MiddleButton = Joystick.Button2 //Y
//Equipped Inventory Navigation
Mouse.WheelUp = Joystick1.Button4 //B
Mouse.WheelDown = Joystick1.Button3 //A
//Inventory Navigation (POV Hat)
Mouse.DirectInputX = Mouse.DirectInputX + var.InvSpeed*Pressed(Joystick1.Pov1x)*Joystick1.Pov1x
Mouse.DirectInputY = Mouse.DirectInputY + var.InvSpeed*Pressed(Joystick1.Pov1y)*Joystick1.Pov1y
//Sneak
Keyboard.LeftShift = Joystick1.Button6
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Urian

Post by Urian »

Tekei wrote:
Rugaard wrote:
how does that work? lol
It doesn't ;) Well, it does... barely. I guess it depends on your definition of "working".
It does work. Not with the standard settings of course but with a few changes to the configuration and it's fine. At least for Intous (and Cintiq I think) you can hole the stylus just above the tablet and it will detect it but not detect a click. Using that and setting the two buttons on the stylus to left and right click made it possible to play :p
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Urian wrote:
Tekei wrote:
Rugaard wrote:
how does that work? lol
It does work. Not with the standard settings of course but with a few changes to the configuration and it's fine. At least for Intous (and Cintiq I think) you can hole the stylus just above the tablet and it will detect it but not detect a click. Using that and setting the two buttons on the stylus to left and right click made it possible to play :p
I didn't mess around with the settings at all, but the thing that makes me say it barely works is that you have to hold your stylus in the middle of the MC window and holding it even a mm too far in any direction and Steve will start turning. That could of course be fixed with changing the settings from "pen" to "mouse" mode now that i think about it :P
Urian

Post by Urian »

Yep, setting it to act as a mouse is pretty much required :) It's actually quite useful for playing a number of games, I use it at times when my mouse runs out of power.