Personal Modding Project: Pathfinding Golems

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
finite8

Re: Personal Modding Project: Pathfinding Golems

Post by finite8 »

splunker1 wrote:now the only problem is when you block him in a bedrock room... heheheh...
That is already taken care of. There is a pathing cooldown of about 2 seconds if no paths are found. Besides, if in a bedrock room, it will quickly discover that there are no valid path nodes so next to no computations occur.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Find, replace "villagers," "golems that can repair their houses if you attack or raid them for materials..."
Better is the enemy of Good
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Video 2 of the Golem

Current Capabilities:
- Obstacle avoidance.
- More accurate path following
- Pitfall avoidance
- Removed some bugs in pathfinding algorithm

New bugs:
- Golem will accept the last node in it's path (the player) regardless of whether or not it is safe. Golem ends in this video walking into fire which was the players position at the time the path was plotted.
- Noticing some CPU spikes. Will need to optimize some of the code to maintain performance.

Features still to add:
- Group Pathfinding. One Golem finding a path should share this path with friendlies within range.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Quesoman

Post by Quesoman »

Amazing! Keep at it, and take away the only reason why not all of my wolves are caged up ;)
Cultures are born and die, but the cheese is immortal.

-A very wise man
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Fantastic man.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Awesome work man!

I was bored so I threw a very quick sketch together. I've no idea if this is what you're after but in a best case scenario it might give you a few ideas at least.
Spoiler
Show
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Tekei wrote:Awesome work man!

I was bored so I threw a very quick sketch together. I've no idea if this is what you're after but in a best case scenario it might give you a few ideas at least.
Spoiler
Show
These are really good! Can i ask what program you used? (assuming it wasnt done by hand)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

walker_boh_65 wrote:These are really good! Can i ask what program you used? (assuming it wasnt done by hand)
I wouldn't call them good. They're just thrown together very quickly, but thanks! :)
I used photoshop and a wacom tablet so... it's as close to "by hand" as possible with digital painting I guess.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Spoiler
Show
Damn! I love it. Especially the contrast between the Iron and Wood one! I like the placement of the mouth idea, way better than Tinny's below-the-head design (I'm calling my current Golem design Tinny as in tin-e). I never actually though of a legless design... it's not bad. I might give it a go. As part of their walking (and standing hopefully) animation i might have their body bob / wobble back and fourth to give that "floating" feel. I intend to have their textures alter as they suffer damage so you can get a visual cue as to their current condition so obviously in the Stone Golems case, it will appear more and more cracked. I think the Horns on the Stone one may get too tricky (i had difficulty using the Techne tool to texture Tinny so i don't know if that is a short coming of the tool or Minecraft itself) but it really gives him the "Ranged" look. I look forward to making a golem with that head gear appear around a corner and when you expect him to send an arrow your way he picks up a boulder and hurls it instead. I guess to a Boulder to a Golem is what an arrow is to an archer. All relative really :)

You're a creative bugger. Thank you. Definitely crediting you on this if i get it done. Must admit, seeing what i could get them to looking like gives me some extra motivation on this project.

Let me know if you come up with any ideas for a Gold or Diamond Golem. You captured the precise feel of what i wanted to achieve with this mod and I'm keen to pick your brain for more ideas.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Started a topic for this on MC Forums if anyone is interested http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/684 ... olemcraft/

Will dump any formal information i collect there. Can't add stuff like pics while I'm at work so i will finish adding to the topic later.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

finite8 wrote:

Spoiler
Show
Damn! I love it. Especially the contrast between the Iron and Wood one! I like the placement of the mouth idea, way better than Tinny's below-the-head design (I'm calling my current Golem design Tinny as in tin-e). I never actually though of a legless design... it's not bad. I might give it a go. As part of their walking (and standing hopefully) animation i might have their body bob / wobble back and fourth to give that "floating" feel. I intend to have their textures alter as they suffer damage so you can get a visual cue as to their current condition so obviously in the Stone Golems case, it will appear more and more cracked. I think the Horns on the Stone one may get too tricky (i had difficulty using the Techne tool to texture Tinny so i don't know if that is a short coming of the tool or Minecraft itself) but it really gives him the "Ranged" look. I look forward to making a golem with that head gear appear around a corner and when you expect him to send an arrow your way he picks up a boulder and hurls it instead. I guess to a Boulder to a Golem is what an arrow is to an archer. All relative really :)

You're a creative bugger. Thank you. Definitely crediting you on this if i get it done. Must admit, seeing what i could get them to looking like gives me some extra motivation on this project.

Let me know if you come up with any ideas for a Gold or Diamond Golem. You captured the precise feel of what i wanted to achieve with this mod and I'm keen to pick your brain for more ideas.
I'm glad you like it. Keep up the good work!
I'll think about it during the week and see if I can come up with some interesting concepts (and more well crafted ones) but I won't promise anything. :)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

sigh... if only i could get paid to write this Mod. Would be more fun that writing .net applications at the moment.