I can't find wolves for dung.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Alucard

I can't find wolves for dung.

Post by Alucard »

I have absolutley no idea how to get my wolves to spawn. My world seems to be temperate for miles around so I'm not getting the Taiga/Forest biome boost. I REALLY dont want to start a new world as it took me forever to get where I am (and im only at the BASICS!!) plz for the love of god can someone help me i hate using too many items to get my dung. I would MUCH rather set up a factory instead of cheating.
RegularX

Re: I can't find wolves for dung.

Post by RegularX »

See this post and below for more discussion on this.

I think it's a bad move on FC's part - but it's his mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RegularX wrote:See this post and below for more discussion on this.

I think it's a bad move on FC's part - but it's his mod.
Hey man, it's a valid mechanic that has a historical basis that just happens to ALSO piss off the Wolfaboos (which gives me a good laugh as well...bonus!). I was mentioning that in specific response to someone asking about the Companion Cubes being a possible alternate source. So if you can't find any wolves to begin with, that wouldn't help you anyways.

I've already explained that I'm not having other creatures produce dung because they aren't tamable and despawn (which means you couldn't automate production through that route), and because I'd have to modify multiple base-classes to do it (increasing incompatibility with other mods).

Having it produced only by wolves also makes it a challenge to accumulate, and as I've said many times before, I don't want anything in this mod to just be handed to the player on a silver platter as that takes away from the fun of the whole thing. A big part of the fun of this mod is coming up with interesting ways of automating processes and the wolves are PERFECT for producing this kind of mechanic. I guess you haven't tried to produce a dung-factory yet, but frankly, it's a damn interesting in-game design challenge that is completely different from any other form of "farming" in the game.

Yet, you seem intent on distorting my comment in some way, when AGAIN, it was specifically in response to whether Companion Cubes should produce dung.

If you don't like it...there's the door. If you want to hang around, then I suggest you stop this multi-thread hissy-fit and deal. If you have a problem with wolf spawns in your game, talk to Mojang about THEIR bug.
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

Going to respond to this once, and then I'm done with it. My intention to the poster of this thread was to point him to the Unofficial Suggestions thread. And yeah, I expressed my opinion in tow. If that's a "multi-thread hissy fit" in your eyes, so be it.
Hey man, it's a valid mechanic that has a historical basis that just happens to ALSO piss off the Wolfaboos (which gives me a good laugh as well...bonus!).
Never argued with the mechanic in general.
I've already explained that I'm not having other creatures produce dung because they aren't tamable and despawn (which means you couldn't automate production through that route), and because I'd have to modify multiple base-classes to do it (increasing incompatibility with other mods).
So, it's OK to break incompatibility with wolf mods - but not the many ... cow mods? Are there any cow mods? And I had actually asked how much tameability was a factor in the Unofficial Sugg thread, but this is the first time I've seen you actually talk about it. No discussion on the US thread, and I only see sargunster mentioning it in the FT thread on it. Honestly, having as many pigs, sheep and cows running amok if I found it randomly spawned or tilled in grass, it's not like that would be weird. You're also already overriding ItemHoe, right? It could be added in there, made extremely rare - and I probably would have already found a piece of dung with all the hemp farming. Then instead of wandering around looking for a stupid wolf, I could have been trying out the saw.
Having it produced only by wolves also makes it a challenge to accumulate, and as I've said many times before, I don't want anything in this mod to just be handed to the player on a silver platter as that takes away from the fun of the whole thing. A big part of the fun of this mod is coming up with interesting ways of automating processes and the wolves are PERFECT for producing this kind of mechanic. I guess you haven't tried to produce a dung-factory yet, but frankly, it's a damn interesting in-game design challenge that is completely different from any other form of "farming" in the game.
It's not a challenge, it's just random luck. One biome, you've got a wolf sitting next to you your first day. A different seed, and you're walking for miles. Yeah, I get that you need a tameable animal for automatic production. And yeah, I could see where a tameable pig or cow or sheep or whatnot doesn't fit with the rest of BTW ... but if there was any alternative method, it would give people trying the mod out in a random seed to at least try out the rest of the tech tree.

In the last world I was in and trying out BTW, dung was more rare than diamonds. That seems a skewed scarcity of resources. And of course I didn't try a dung factory - I didn't have any wolves.
Yet, you seem intent on distorting my comment in some way, when AGAIN, it was specifically in response to whether Companion Cubes should produce dung.
How am I distorting your comment in any way? I thought you were clear, and I quoted you completely. I don't see how stating that having wolves be a vital source of dung and also a key incompatibility to other wolf mods is limited to Companion Cubes -- or has anything to do with them. Why Companion Cubes would produce dung, or eat food, or whatever is beyond me.

Your post was clear. You don't like wolf mods. You want them to choose between their cutesy wolf mods and your mod. Fine, that's your design choice. But it's also the design choice which makes your tech tree somewhat limited to people camped out in some biomes. It's come up on the US thread, on the FT forums and now on a new thread. Tack on the fact that wolves like to attack and get killed, and it seems like wolves being the only source of dung makes dung extremely rare for some users.

The reason I quoted you, and pointed Alucard to that particular quote - is that it was it seemed the most definitive answer that it would not be in the mod at any point. Even the relatively exhaustive Discarded Features list doesn't seem to strike it out.
If you don't like it...there's the door. If you want to hang around, then I suggest you stop this multi-thread hissy-fit and deal. If you have a problem with wolf spawns in your game, talk to Mojang about THEIR bug.
Well, you've given me a board warning. Ban me if you like for the above. I wouldn't have much more to add but the what's there anyway.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RegularX wrote:Well, you've given me a board warning. Ban me if you like for the above. I wouldn't have much more to add but the what's there anyway.
Done, you've got a one day ban out of the deal, and I'll make it permanent if you pursue this further when you return.

You took what I said out of context mate. I presented multiple reasons why the wolves were the only source of dung in that thread (and I've presented others in the past), and you quoted *only* the one I made half-jokingly at the end as if it were the entire justification behind this design choice.

Also, this guy was asking to be helped in finding wolves, not to be recruited into your little personal crusade. You directing him to the thread where you had your little rant was therefore not helpful in the least.

I've got no time, or patience, for this kind of political nonsense to try and get your own little pet-peeve changed.
JWA

Post by JWA »

Well the only thing I can tell you is to plant as many trees as you can find, in a fairly dense area. I've never been stuck in a total desert, but once I got a dozen or so trees together they popped up. I've found 6 just on top of my mountain, and that was after blowing the top off and replanting.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I'm quite sure it isn't the trees that allow the wolves to spawn, rather it's the biome (forest or taiga), and you can't change what biome you are in, you just have to go to a new one.

Instead of moving house or changing map though, why not take a quick trip though the nether and create a new portal, you may be lucky and pop out in a forest or taiga biome, or at least nearer to one. Set up a small hut and search for wolves for a few days (I think they only spawn during the day, or in lit areas).

Once you have a few, make sure they are all standing, then back through the nether to your main base and they should all teleport to you.
Alucard

Post by Alucard »

gftweek wrote:I'm quite sure it isn't the trees that allow the wolves to spawn, rather it's the biome (forest or taiga), and you can't change what biome you are in, you just have to go to a new one.

Instead of moving house or changing map though, why not take a quick trip though the nether and create a new portal, you may be lucky and pop out in a forest or taiga biome, or at least nearer to one. Set up a small hut and search for wolves for a few days (I think they only spawn during the day, or in lit areas).

Once you have a few, make sure they are all standing, then back through the nether to your main base and they should all teleport to you.
cool thx that sounds like it would actually really help. i never thought of using the nether's distorted distance mechanic. i rlly appreciate the advice.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

This is taken from the page about wolves on the minecraft wiki:

Spawn: On Grass, in Taiga and Forest biomes more commonly during dawn and dusk periods of the day at Light level 7+.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Alucard

Post by Alucard »

darahalian wrote:This is taken from the page about wolves on the minecraft wiki:

Spawn: On Grass, in Taiga and Forest biomes more commonly during dawn and dusk periods of the day at Light level 7+.
ya i understand that part. in fact using the advice given ive found a Taiga and Forest biome side by side that even blend a little. i'll admit i even cheated to torch the crap out of some areas but leave others with only a few torches or even none. conditions are perfect and cannot get better. and yet for several minecraft days not a single wolf has spawned. i think this is freakin ridiculous. FC if u read this i understand u hate requests but honestly plz do SOMETHING to tweak it. either add some sort of mechanism to help spawn the wolves (many have speculated some sort of dog whistle and i think with some balancing that could work) or even just adjust wolf spawn rates. im simply cut off from the rest of the tech tree and with ur hints at dung becoming more important than ever i find myself utterly screwed. i had to cheat just to get myself a single saw. to be honest ur protests and attempts at cutting off wolf lovers have turned into that of a child pouting in a corner and everyone using ur mod is starting to suffer. this is not a rage, rant, nor whine. i hope u dont ban me for this as i love ur mod and find the forums to be some of the most enjoyable yet. im simply pointing out that things are becoming unbalanced and my personal opinion is that something needs to get done.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Alucard wrote:ya i understand that part. in fact using the advice given ive found a Taiga and Forest biome side by side that even blend a little. i'll admit i even cheated to torch the crap out of some areas but leave others with only a few torches or even none. conditions are perfect and cannot get better. and yet for several minecraft days not a single wolf has spawned. i think this is freakin ridiculous. FC if u read this i understand u hate requests but honestly plz do SOMETHING to tweak it. either add some sort of mechanism to help spawn the wolves (many have speculated some sort of dog whistle and i think with some balancing that could work) or even just adjust wolf spawn rates. im simply cut off from the rest of the tech tree and with ur hints at dung becoming more important than ever i find myself utterly screwed. i had to cheat just to get myself a single saw. to be honest ur protests and attempts at cutting off wolf lovers have turned into that of a child pouting in a corner and everyone using ur mod is starting to suffer. this is not a rage, rant, nor whine. i hope u dont ban me for this as i love ur mod and find the forums to be some of the most enjoyable yet. im simply pointing out that things are becoming unbalanced and my personal opinion is that something needs to get done.
Sigh...look man, the dung mechanic IS NOT in the mod as a revenge tactic against the wolfaboos.

The dung mechanic IS in the mod because:

a) it makes collecting the resource an in-game challenge, much as hemp was when I first introduced it. I DO NOT want anything in this mod to be gained too easily, and that has been a consistent design philosophy throughout, whether that be for the recipes that include nether-materials, hemp-based products, or now the ones dependent on dung.

b) Having it dependent on wolves creates an extremely interesting automation mechanic that wasn't present in the game previously, and which is completely different from how any other resource is collected. Thus, it leads to a unique design challenge for the player, unique gameplay, and therefore FUN.

You guys are taking a single half-joking post I made in the turtle forum completely out of context and ignoring all previous statements I've made about why dung functions the way it does. It's pretty fucking sad if I can't even joke around with the community without people turning it into an epic like this.

I love how you call me "a child pouting in a corner" and then say you're trying to point out a design imbalance. You're hurling personal insults and trying to make it look like a constructive argument.

Yup, one day ban. Do something like this again, and it's permanent.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'm guessing that the recent increase in posts wanting dung to be more readily available is due to the comments about dung being becoming a more important resource in the next technological age. My advice to all the people who are wanting more dung; wait until Steve reaches the next technological age so that we actually know what we'll need dung for and after that, if you still think it's justifiable (when taking into consideration that much of BTW is supposed to be an end game mod, after anything vanilla MC offers), then ask again. :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:I'm guessing that the recent increase in posts wanting dung to be more readily available is due to the comments about dung being becoming a more important resource in the next technological age. My advice to all the people who are wanting more dung; wait until Steve reaches the next technological age so that we actually know what we'll need dung for and after that, if you still think it's justifiable (when taking into consideration that much of BTW is supposed to be an end game mod, after anything vanilla MC offers), then ask again. :)
Agreed. And when you DO ask, argue it from the standpoint of the reasons I have offered above, NOT from the standpoint of an offhand comment I made in jest because I WAS in a good and playful mood at the time.

Taking my comments out of context like you guys have been doing annoys the shit out of me. I'm making this mod for fun and this kind of nonsense is the exact opposite.

Thread locked.