Unofficial Suggestions List

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
JWA

Re: Un-Offical Suggestions List

Post by JWA »

Indeed, I'm liking that rope mod and glad to hear its compatible. I think the textures could use an overhaul, and the droop factor was a bit extreme, but shooting ropes across canyons to build bridges on would fit perfectly into vanilla minecraft. Pipes not so much, though it would be kinda nice to be able to direct water through a building without taking up 6-9 blocks. I could definitely see that being appropriate in a future tech level, particularly for farming and the grinder idea. Some sort of distinct grinder for making the stone panels would be cool, cuz my workshop needs more machinery!
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

As we all know Steve will be advancing thru different Ages. With this different Ages will come newer and far more advanced technologies. Generally with new invetiins comes along new tools to make said inventions. Most ideas I've seen so far are new blocks that are required to function just like the older versions buy used specifically for the newer technologies. Now the almighty FC has already displayed that he was against adding blocks the duplicated features that already existed within the game. So I propose another idea. What if a system for certain recipes was implemented that in order for a recipe to be made a specific item would have to be carried in the players inventory? I guess a good example would a black smiths hammer. Instead of creating an anvil to make shaped metal why not just use the workbench plus the smiths hammer to create the shaped metal? For a more difficult item that requires different man made items to be combined to form this much better item (let's say an engine) then the player would place the parts on the workbench and have a wrench in his pocket to connect them all. If this is possible I believe this would be a wonderful alternative to having to make yet another block to create random things, thus saving on the ever so valuable block id
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

So my problem is my dung factory is located above ground near my main area. The problem I'm having is if I get into combat with badies nearby, the wolves teleport out of the factory to 'help' me. This is normal vanilla behavior for wolves, its obnoxious and they get in the way plus they're a pain to put back. My suggestion is to disable this 'helping' behavior in a future version of the mod. I don't know how easy it would be just to turn that part of the wolves off, but it would be rather helpful.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Thalmane wrote:As we all know Steve will be advancing thru different Ages. With this different Ages will come newer and far more advanced technologies. Generally with new invetiins comes along new tools to make said inventions. Most ideas I've seen so far are new blocks that are required to function just like the older versions buy used specifically for the newer technologies. Now the almighty FC has already displayed that he was against adding blocks the duplicated features that already existed within the game. So I propose another idea. What if a system for certain recipes was implemented that in order for a recipe to be made a specific item would have to be carried in the players inventory? I guess a good example would a black smiths hammer. Instead of creating an anvil to make shaped metal why not just use the workbench plus the smiths hammer to create the shaped metal? For a more difficult item that requires different man made items to be combined to form this much better item (let's say an engine) then the player would place the parts on the workbench and have a wrench in his pocket to connect them all. If this is possible I believe this would be a wonderful alternative to having to make yet another block to create random things, thus saving on the ever so valuable block id
Maybe instead of this, there could be a more advanced workbench, or something like that. My logic for this is the fact that the workbench already has tools like a saw and hammer hanging on its sides, which are presumably what Steve is using to craft the things he does. (You don't think he's making all that stuff with his bare hands, do you? :P ) This way, certain recipes would only be able to be crafted on the more advanced workbench, since it would have more/advanced tools. And it doesn't necessarily have to be an actual workbench either, just something with a similar principle, but more advanced.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

Maybe, instead of new recipes just requiring the new workbench for no really explained reason, instead this "advanced workbench" would simply be larger? As in, it would have more slots to craft in, 4x3 or even 4x4. Then, all the advanced recipes just require that much space to craft in. This would basically serve to continue the progression from your basic 2x2 crafting to 3x3 crafting with a workbench to 4x3 or 4x4 crafting with an adv. workbench.

Looking at the progression of work areas so far we have the workbench, then the furnace (requires workbench), then the millstone and cauldron (both require furnace), and then finally the saw (requires millstone & cauldron). Following that logic, then the adv workbench should require something crafted with the saw. Honestly I'd say that you should be able to cut stone with the saw (just make it slow and require water for cooling or something), so it would make sense to me that the adv workbench be crafted out of stone moulding.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

AgentPaper wrote:Maybe, instead of new recipes just requiring the new workbench for no really explained reason, instead this "advanced workbench" would simply be larger? As in, it would have more slots to craft in, 4x3 or even 4x4. Then, all the advanced recipes just require that much space to craft in. This would basically serve to continue the progression from your basic 2x2 crafting to 3x3 crafting with a workbench to 4x3 or 4x4 crafting with an adv. workbench.

Looking at the progression of work areas so far we have the workbench, then the furnace (requires workbench), then the millstone and cauldron (both require furnace), and then finally the saw (requires millstone & cauldron). Following that logic, then the adv workbench should require something crafted with the saw. Honestly I'd say that you should be able to cut stone with the saw (just make it slow and require water for cooling or something), so it would make sense to me that the adv workbench be crafted out of stone moulding.
it seems like your idea of a 4x4 crafting table follows the logical progression that minecraft currents follows
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

Another thing unrelated to the current discussion:

I just did some testing, and was dismayed to note that, when a hopper is unloading into a furnace, it will only ever fill the "item to be smelted" slot, and never the "fuel" slot. Could we by any chance get hopper set so that they automatically put ores/cobblestone/sand into the "to be smelted" slot, and coal/wood/charcoal/etc into the "fuel" slot? Or if that's too easy, then simply make it so that when the "to be smelted" slot is full, then the hopper will just put whatever item is next into the "fuel" slot.

Also, an idea for a new block, probably further down the crafting tree: The Magnet. This block, when it receives redstone power, will pull any magnetic items towards it from a short distance away. Iron, iron ore (in item form), iron tools, buckets, rails (in item form), lighters, minecarts (in item form), iron doors (in item form), iron armor, shears, anchors (in item form), and of course other magnets (in item form). Significantly, it would not pick up gold tools or ore, since gold is not magnetic. I've got a project I'm working on right now that would be aided tremendously by this item, since it would allow me to sort out gold and iron ore into two separate areas. This could also serve to tease at more advanced machines to come in the future that would use a more refined form of the magnet (much higher on the techtree) for stuff like motors and such.

This could also possibly be made a bit more significant by allowing the magnet to pull iron items in block form as well from a few blocks away (ie: further than a sticky piston could grab it from). Even if this just worked on iron blocks, that would still allow for some interesting new mechanisms.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Thalmane wrote:-snip- FC has already displayed that he was against adding blocks the duplicated features... What if a specific item would have to be carried in the players inventory? I guess a good example would a black smiths hammer. Instead of creating an anvil to make shaped metal why not just use the workbench plus the smiths hammer..his pocket...., thus saving on the ever so valuable block id
[/quote]

As item IDs are not made of solid gold, this could work. I see it a little different. Using the blacksmith example Steve creates the hammer and anvil items, he would place those two items in the craft area with iron ingot to get Hammered steel. The key being the items are not used up when he takes the hammered steel out of the created box.

AgentPaper wrote:-snip- 4x4 "advanced workbench" & progression of work areas workbench -> furnace -> millstone and cauldron -> saw
I support the advanced workbench.

Combine the two ideas have the advanced toolbench get an area to add tools, depending on which tools are in the workbench it acts differently (use the idea behind shelf mod to show which items are on the advanced work bench). This way users can create multiple workstations or just reuse the same workbench and BTW is going through block IDs like they are going out of style.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Stormweaver wrote:If you're going to make a first post in a thread for an epic mod, you gotta do it right. *tries*

I remember from when reading through the original minecraft forum thread, that flower has nothing against adding in concepts from other mods, so long as it fits the theme and balance of BTW so far. And since none of my other thoughts for BTW can work without finitewater compatibility (i can dream), that leaves me with...
----------------------------------------------------------
Title: Pipes!
Use: The movement of items (and blocks!) in item form
Recipe: gears, rope and wooden planks. If I knew how to make a picture of it, I would...but it at least needs rope. A bit like this.
PGP
XRX
PGP
where X is either nothing or rope. I dunno.

Purpose: As in the mod with pipes (Buildcraft, I think), pipes would be used to take items from one place that has items, and put them somewhere else where items want to be. This can be up, down, or even in the four other directions! The concept would be similar to that of previously suggested conveyor belts, but in a more self-contained and mod-fitting way.
Justification: BTW has mechanical power, and mechanical power implies moving things, and most of the time what people want moving is their items; be it from an automated farm, or simply to save walking from one chest to another. The implementation could (and in my opinion, should) be similar to that of the axles we currently have: A block (currently just the hopper, but something to take items from chests/furnaces/other pipes...I'll call it an 'extractor' for now) is powered by an axle, which in turn powers up to three pipe sections that come from the output. After this, another powered 'extractor' can continue for three more blocks, and so on. I feel that this would be in Steve's capacity to make at BTW's current tech level (wooden tube full of rope < lasergun) and promotes the early-industrial feel BTW has.

...just as a side note though, anything more than wooden pipes would probably be overkill and cease to mesh well with the mod; no super-accelerating gold pipes or vacuuming obsidian >.>
----------------------------------------------------------
So basically everything I mentioned in my Water pump/pipes idea. Thank you for reposting exactly what I said.

And on to the discussion about Advanced workbenches. I really like the idea of having a 4x4 as the next step. This would allow for larger "machines" to be manufactured. If we are indeed headed into the steam age, I figure that there should be some more complicated designs involved as we progress through the tech tree.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

SterlingRed wrote:So my problem is my dung factory is located above ground near my main area. The problem I'm having is if I get into combat with badies nearby, the wolves teleport out of the factory to 'help' me. This is normal vanilla behavior for wolves, its obnoxious and they get in the way plus they're a pain to put back. My suggestion is to disable this 'helping' behavior in a future version of the mod. I don't know how easy it would be just to turn that part of the wolves off, but it would be rather helpful.
Strangely quoting myself here as this was brought to FC's attention (thanks battosay) and the question was brought up if this happened even with the wolves sitting.

Yes it does happen with the wolves sitting, however it only happens if you take damage from a baddie within a chunk or two of proximity to the sitting wolves. I have no other mods other than modloader and btw and am running 1.7.2 (the 'helpful' tamed wolf problem occurred in 1.6.6 as well).
If this isn't a major problem for others, I can work around it, toss the wolves underground, move them a few chunks away, or just be better at combat, etc. But, if anyone else has had this problem, it'd be good to have more input on this issue.
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

SterlingRed wrote:Yes it does happen with the wolves sitting, however it only happens if you take damage from a baddie within a chunk or two of proximity to the sitting wolves. I have no other mods other than modloader and btw and am running 1.7.2 (the 'helpful' tamed wolf problem occurred in 1.6.6 as well).
If this isn't a major problem for others, I can work around it, toss the wolves underground, move them a few chunks away, or just be better at combat, etc. But, if anyone else has had this problem, it'd be good to have more input on this issue.
In the world where I do have the wolves, I generally keep them by themselves in a fairly safe zone where I can usually avoid combat. It takes forever to trek over to the area where they do spawn, and I've already had a few die on me pretty quickly. A couple through combat, one in an incident with lava better not talked about much.

I haven't used BTW where I've got nearby wolves (mostly desert), but it seems the storing them in a safe dung factory far enough removed from combat
is not only a good choice, but seems to be what FC wants people to do with wolves in general.

But considering a) some seeds just make it difficult to find wolves and b) they die rather easy ... this seems a bad design choice imo. FC thought wolves was a dumb update, I get it. I think the title is pretty funny, I just don't agree with beating users of the mod over the head with the ideology of it all.

But sure, it can be worked around. I'll just hack/mod/console it in the end probably. Maybe a wolf whistle would make a good mod.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Also get the poop machines helping in combat. Big problem when they were next to my bed and was getting woken up by zombies. Happened in 1.6.6 & 1.7.2
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

KriiEiter wrote:
So basically everything I mentioned in my Water pump/pipes idea. Thank you for reposting exactly what I said.
Yes. I'm going to admit, I read 'water pipes' and skipped to the next guy's post tbh, thinking your post had something to do with water >.>

Now I've read it, nice to see I wasn't the only person seeing that idea...it's just a shame that the idea of 'pipes' in reference to buildcraft is associated with autocraftingtablesofdoom and similar. But we can dream, can't we? can't we..?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
James_Past

Post by James_Past »

RegularX wrote:
SterlingRed wrote: -Snip-

But sure, it can be worked around. I'll just hack/mod/console it in the end probably. Maybe a wolf whistle would make a good mod.

I think a whistle could be a good idea, possibly made using a reed and stick to make a single use whistle that has a 25% (or less) chance to spawn 1 wolf nearby on well lit grass.
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

James_Past wrote:I think a whistle could be a good idea, possibly made using a reed and stick to make a single use whistle that has a 25% (or less) chance to spawn 1 wolf nearby on well lit grass.
Yeah, had thought reed would make sense, though I think paradoxically the biomes where reeds are, wolves become more likely as well :) Looking into some spawning stuff here and there, though. I'm honestly not sure how it could be properly balanced - or if it needs to be since it would essentially be a mod to workaround a forced scarcity issue. Random maybe, though the user could just spam the whistle until they had an army of wolves. Maybe whistle, checks for # of nearby wolves, which insists on the probability.

:shrug: So far I've managed to make a minecart that doesn't kill you if you crash into water. So, you know, baby steps :)
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

There we go. One wolf whistle. Problem. Solved.
Spoiler
Show
Any questions?

Doubles as lighter so that you can burn your house down because you have so many damn wolves.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Only suggestion I feel like posting: Platform physics. They bug me. If a rope snaps, all platforms it supports that are not otherwise supports should go crashing to the ground, sand-style. I must admit I've been occasionally bothered by the ability to break the ropes of an elevator from a flying island-- and then simply chill there, in mid-air, as if the ropes hadn't actually been doing anything to the platform anyway.

Just my two cents on a feature I think would make platforms much more amusing. Elevator traps, anyone?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Fracture wrote:Only suggestion I feel like posting: Platform physics. They bug me. If a rope snaps, all platforms it supports that are not otherwise supports should go crashing to the ground, sand-style. I must admit I've been occasionally bothered by the ability to break the ropes of an elevator from a flying island-- and then simply chill there, in mid-air, as if the ropes hadn't actually been doing anything to the platform anyway.

Just my two cents on a feature I think would make platforms much more amusing. Elevator traps, anyone?

When the pulley stops pulling the platform (for whatever reason) the platforms turn from a moving entity to a block, the natural minecraft physics allow blocks (omit sand & gravel) to stay suspended in the air with no support. But i do agree that this would be a neat thing to add (as it would also allow you to tell when the pulley is broken!)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

jamestully22 wrote:
Fracture wrote:Only suggestion I feel like posting: Platform physics. They bug me. If a rope snaps, all platforms it supports that are not otherwise supports should go crashing to the ground, sand-style. I must admit I've been occasionally bothered by the ability to break the ropes of an elevator from a flying island-- and then simply chill there, in mid-air, as if the ropes hadn't actually been doing anything to the platform anyway.

When the pulley stops pulling the platform (for whatever reason) the platforms turn from a moving entity to a block, the natural minecraft physics allow blocks (omit sand & gravel) to stay suspended in the air with no support. But i do agree that this would be a neat thing to add (as it would also allow you to tell when the pulley is broken!)
Exactly. Basically I'm suggesting that drop-physics be added to platforms, except when supported by ropes.
Verloren

Post by Verloren »

Fracture wrote: Exactly. Basically I'm suggesting that drop-physics be added to platforms, except when supported by ropes.
Or maybe add the option for platforms to be used as a one shot power source. Say everything is powered by a windmill, but it's raining, so that gearbox is disconnected. The platform is at the maximum height, but the gearbox powering the pulley system is connected to another gearbox. Drop the platform, and there's power for the amount of time it takes to go down.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Verloren wrote: Or maybe add the option for platforms to be used as a one shot power source. Say everything is powered by a windmill, but it's raining, so that gearbox is disconnected. The platform is at the maximum height, but the gearbox powering the pulley system is connected to another gearbox. Drop the platform, and there's power for the amount of time it takes to go down.
This is a really cool idea! It could be used as a redstone free way to have timed bridges or gates. It wouldn't be able to act as backup power for something that was previously being powered by a windmill, though, unless gearboxes are changed to be able to have more than one input.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Verloren

Post by Verloren »

darahalian wrote: This is a really cool idea! It could be used as a redstone free way to have timed bridges or gates. It wouldn't be able to act as backup power for something that was previously being powered by a windmill, though, unless gearboxes are changed to be able to have more than one input.
Whoops. Forgot about that part.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Verloren wrote:
darahalian wrote: This is a really cool idea! It could be used as a redstone free way to have timed bridges or gates. It wouldn't be able to act as backup power for something that was previously being powered by a windmill, though, unless gearboxes are changed to be able to have more than one input.
Whoops. Forgot about that part.
Piston(s) hooked up to the detector for rain could modify the mechanical system in such a way that it could provide backup power.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Verloren wrote:
darahalian wrote: -SNIP-
Piston(s) hooked up to the detector for rain could modify the mechanical system in such a way that it could provide backup power.
Or you could put a roof over your windmill and have continuous power without worry about it breaking!! =D
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Urian

Post by Urian »

jamestully22 wrote:Or you could put a roof over your windmill and have continuous power without worry about it breaking!! =D
Windmills don't spin if there are blocks above it so that doesn't work. At the moment, the only way to have a windmill that never stops working (or needs a DB) outside of the nether is to place it in a desert.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea