Tsughoggr's Primitive Kilns [v0.4] [BTW 1.3.5]

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Tsughoggr

Tsughoggr's Primitive Kilns [v0.4] [BTW 1.3.5]

Post by Tsughoggr »

Tsughoggr's Primitive Kilns Mod
Tsughoggr's Primitive Kilns adds an early kiln block that increases the early game time reliant on campfires before the stove is available.

Downloads

Configuration
The

Code: Select all

PrimitiveKilnEfficiency
configuration directive determines the rate at which, and amount by which, fuel increases the heat of the kiln. The 30 default will take the equivalent of 2 coal (2 stacks of sawdust) to cook 1-3 bricks in 5 minutes with ~3 minutes before they reach the overcook threshhold.

EarlyCharcoalRecipe
Enables or disables the creation of charcoal from logs using the primitive kiln.

TandooriCooking
Enables or disables the crafting recipes for tandoori.
The inverse of

UnRemoveKebab
enables or disables the crafting recipe for donner kebab.

CustomDecorativeBlocksEnabled
enables or disables the extra decorative and refactory blocks added by the mod including the metalic brick refactories and adobe decorative blocks.

EarlyCeramicRecipe
enables or disables the ability of primitive kilns to cook BTW ceramics (Such as the crucible)

Recipes
Spoiler
Show
Yellow Brick
Dry bricks are now generated instead of bricks through brick drying.

Primitive Kiln
These final two dry brick recipes create the primitive kiln block, the main driver of the mod. The kiln is required to generate bricks from wet bricks and create the remaining recipes in the mod.
Configuring the Kiln:

In operation the kiln requires all of the blocks surrounding it for 1-3 blocks of radius to be valid recipes, a simple way to achieve this is to mine 2x1x[1,3] hole in the side of a rock face as both stone and dirt are valid recipes and place the kiln at the back.
Right clicking on the kiln will add burnable fuel to it (including burnable firestarters such as the bow drill so hold shift). When lit the kiln may set nearby blocks on fire, if this continues for more than a few seconds it may indicate the kiln is not properly configured. As stated previously by default it will take ~2 coal worth of fuel to smelt ~4 wet bricks into cooked ones, however the efficiency of this is effected by the recipies the kiln is processing so upgrading the structure of the kiln to other more efficient materials such as brick or nether brick will increase the efficiency of all recipes.

Breach:
When a recipe overheats it will turn into a breach block, these spawn blaze fireballs set nearby blocks on fire regularly and will need to be removed.

Brick Piles
Spoiler
Show
Using 8 wet/dry/cooked bricks and a string bricks can be formed into piles, which can be added to with additional piles or multiples of 8 bricks of the same type. The wet brick piles will dry into the dry brick ones, and both can be cooked into cooked brick piles.

Tandoori
Tandoori can be made using most meats, cooking it in the kiln will produce special tandoori cooked meat which has slightly more saturation and can be more efficient in large quantities than traditional cooking.
When broken the cooked tandoori will drop pottery shards, which can be recycled using a hopper with a bucket of water as a filter.

Donner Kebab
Donner can be crafted from the several Halal meats in the game, and cooked in a kiln. Donner is harvested by rightclicking the donner with a sword, shaving off one side. The donner can be rotated on a turntable. It can be crafted into a donner sandwich.

Decorative Bricks
Several additional refactory bricks are added by the mod. They can be cooked and have significantly different efficiency and temperatures than the default bricks and each other. They may also be formed into piles or brick blocks. Blocks made of these do not have subblocks.
To facilitate their recipes it is now possible to break clay into piles by filtering it through gravel in a hopper.

Adobe
Adobe can be created using all non-nether bricks.
BTW Kiln Integration
Several of the primitive kiln recipes, such as those for tandoori and donner, are able to be cooked in a standard BTW hibachi+brick kiln; some such as brick piles, and the later refactory bricks are exclusive to primitive kilns; and the transformation of nether sludge into nether bricks is exclusive to the BTW kiln.

Changelog
Spoiler
Show
V0.3
  • Added hemp fiber variant for all string recipes added
Last edited by Tsughoggr on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
EpicAaron

Re: Tsughoggr's Primitive Kilns [v0.3] [BTW 1.3.5]

Post by EpicAaron »

Wow, this came out of nowhere. I particularly love the brick piles, and I almost wish more items could be stacked like that for primitive storage purposes. I hope I can sit down at some point and give this thing a try!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Okay this is super cool, I love the brick piles and I like how it expands the mutiblock processing methods, and gives us a night time way of producing bricks prior to btw kilns. That contributes quite a bit to the insufficient night time activity early in the mod.

I only have two thoughts on it so far for improvements, feel free to ignore me.
1) can the bricks / piles in a properly configured kiln have the white particle effect from the btw kilns or the texture change overlays so that we have some feedback that its working and setup correctly?
2) What are your thoughts on hemp fibers also being valid for string in the pile recipe? At least in my play experience once I have hemp going, I don't have a mob trap setup and string gets a little scarce. However, I can adjust to acquire more string if needed so its not a big deal, just a thought.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Always great to see new addons coming out :) Looks great!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Tsughoggr

Post by Tsughoggr »

SterlingRed wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:42 am Okay this is super cool, I love the brick piles and I like how it expands the mutiblock processing methods, and gives us a night time way of producing bricks prior to btw kilns. That contributes quite a bit to the insufficient night time activity early in the mod.

I only have two thoughts on it so far for improvements, feel free to ignore me.
1) can the bricks / piles in a properly configured kiln have the white particle effect from the btw kilns or the texture change overlays so that we have some feedback that its working and setup correctly?
2) What are your thoughts on hemp fibers also being valid for string in the pile recipe? At least in my play experience once I have hemp going, I don't have a mob trap setup and string gets a little scarce. However, I can adjust to acquire more string if needed so its not a big deal, just a thought.
These are both good ideas. The second one is an oversight on my part and I have pushed an update for it. The first is more difficult for a few reasons.
Spoiler
Show
The way that the rendering works for the BTW kiln effects is that the kiln checks if the block above is a valid recipe on every random render tick and spawns white smoke, while every block checks if it is above a kiln for the cracking texture every render tick. This is fairly fine when you are checking the block below or the block above but finding a block that is within a radius of 3 would be significantly more expensive performance wise for the cracking texture. The smoke could be done in a more lightweight way, I could switch the metadata on the kiln block itself to store its radius instead of it's own heat progression (currently the cracking texture shows how close the kiln block is to overheating), however I'm not sure it would look nice given my design choice to have the outside blocks of the kiln also be valid recipies rather than a hard distinction between refactory and recipe. As such it would be similarly inefficient to check whether each block in the radius is a recipe or a refactory for every render call.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Tsughoggr wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:44 am The way that the rendering works for the BTW kiln effects is that the kiln checks if the block above is a valid recipe on every random render tick and spawns white smoke, while every block checks if it is above a kiln for the cracking texture every render tick. This is fairly fine when you are checking the block below or the block above but finding a block that is within a radius of 3 would be significantly more expensive performance wise for the cracking texture. The smoke could be done in a more lightweight way, I could switch the metadata on the kiln block itself to store its radius instead of it's own heat progression (currently the cracking texture shows how close the kiln block is to overheating), however I'm not sure it would look nice given my design choice to have the outside blocks of the kiln also be valid recipies rather than a hard distinction between refactory and recipe. As such it would be similarly inefficient to check whether each block in the radius is a recipe or a refactory for every render call.
By the way if you need me to change anything with how the overlay rendering works, let me know. I'm always happy to try and make things easier for addon authors.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!