Chunkloaders

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
EpicAaron

Chunkloaders

Post by EpicAaron »

I think earlygame chunkloaders could go a long way toward unifying the survival experience between fresh starts and HC Spawns. Growing crops takes significantly longer in HC Spawns because the player does not have access to always-on chests, and animal husbandry is basically a waste of time because animals will starve during the night when the player spends too many daylight hours away from the base. It also means that surviving beyond HC spawn chunks lets you bypass weed death, your plants will unload while caving. Its a subpar experience from starting a fresh world, and it would be great if a second Always-On spawn radius could be placed somewhere around where a player decides to settle down in HC Spawns. To make it fair, only one extra could be activated at a time, and it could be tied to some block post-oven. Totem or something?
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
dawnraider

Re: Chunkloaders

Post by dawnraider »

Splitting the chunkloader discussion into a new thread as I want to address it without derailing the grass discussion.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I think that early game chunkloaders would conflict too much with late game chunkloaders, which I feel are more important. Only a single chunkloader available has a lot of issues, especially in multiplayer. It would kill the possibility to have a large central base that extends beyond the spawn chunks (which happens to me basically every single world) and have loaders for things like swamp and jungle mob farms. The issue is that if you don't limit them, but make them available early game, it becomes possible to spam them late game which could kill performance and also devalue clustering builds in loaded chunks. So the ideal solution for late game would be something very expensive so that players still consider where they place each one (ideally they would require some large build like being fed by xp so that each one requires heavy investment). This is in direct conflict with an HCS chunkloader though.

I think you definitely have a point though about HCS. Maybe your last hardcore spawn also acts as a chunkloader? That may have issues in multiplayer though.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Yeah, it wouldn't work for multiplayer.

I wouldn't want the chunkloader to be placed upon HC spawn because people tend to explore a bit before settling down permanently. If this would harm performance, perhaps one could make it a mini chunkloader that doesn't do the whole 10 chunks.

I have yet to fill up spawn chunks myself, but knowing your building style I could see it happen.
Spoiler
Show
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

On early game chunkloaders: what if every fresh HC spawn creates a totem that is a temporary chunkloader, and would replace the original spawn loader
The time it would be a chunkloader could be set to a limited time(long, like lasting weeks comparable to an avarage time you could get your latergame chunkloader)
It could be destroyable (limited to the creator maybe)
It could be limited to one totem per player. and as a server protection limit it to the last x amount of online people. server having a max users of 16 would make that max 16 online people for instance. That way the server load would be at max the same as the amount of people already allowed and being at different positions.
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

EpicAaron wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:35 am I wouldn't want the chunkloader to be placed upon HC spawn because people tend to explore a bit before settling down permanently. If this would harm performance, perhaps one could make it a mini chunkloader that doesn't do the whole 10 chunks.
I would exactly want the chunkloader to be where you spawn. exploring a bit is your own choice, but wanting to have an area that could stay loaded is something you can walk back to. having the exact place you spawn be the loader makes it a challenge to overcome instead of just making it do what you want. it wouldn't hurt performance as that's the same as its already at with spawnload
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

An idea for temporary chunk lodaded ares after Hardcore spawn. They last until you reach the original spawn or get a new Hardcore spwan.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I like the idea that you can redeem a HC Spawn upon successfully returning to OG spawn. I have been playing with a custom rule for a while where I am allowed to have an efficiency scroll whenever I return home from a death. That was before people figured out how to farm silverfish spawners.
Spoiler
Show