Igloos?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
gaga654

Igloos?

Post by gaga654 »

In version 4.ABCDEFPotato, we had the following change:
Added a whole new set of snow blocks that serve as an early game building material. The details of these are left to the player to discover, but one thing to note is that you can build out sideways with them if proper care is taken. Old snow blocks have been renamed as "Old Snow", and may no longer be crafted.
I don't think I've once used snow blocks for anything - until I saw that line in the changelog recently I barely even remembered that they existed. So I thought I'd ask the community: have you tried building with snow blocks since that change? What do you think of the building mechanics? Anyone have any pictures of their neat early game snow fortifications? :)
jakerman999

Re: Igloos?

Post by jakerman999 »

With the way colder biomes can take over some seeds, I've spent a fair bit of time in snow laden spots. I find being able to pick up snowballs is great for making slabs, and I've had a few occasions where I've built walls or foundations out of snow. Despite this, I've never tried building outwards with them... That change had slipped my eye :( I'll have to play around with that in the future. I'm guessing it has something to do with snow solidifying over time... Might have something to do with proper supports as well, but that seems a little un-minecrafty
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah I've used snowballs occasionally as a source for slabs but I've never bothered with building out of snow. I always found it far more tedious than just digging into the dirt or using planks/logs.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Especially with the lack of chickens for string in the morning, I have found that pure tundra is pretty harsh. I don't think I've ever bothered to stay in one long enough to warrant working with snow. I tend to pack up ASAP and look for a border biome with more resources. Taigas give wood, which is easier to work with than snow.

A friend and I played around and built a little snow shed once, but it wasn't all that useful. Pure tundra survival might be a fun challenge.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show