[CommunityPatch] List of current unsolved bugs and unintended issues that should be addressed in a community patch

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Hiracho

[CommunityPatch] List of current unsolved bugs and unintended issues that should be addressed in a community patch

Post by Hiracho »

As discussed on Discord there are some features and bugs that could use a fix in the form of a community unofficial update/patch.

The idea is to bring out a patch to the final BTW version which acts as a baseline for upcoming add-ons to work from.

Issues on this list are perceived as unintended problems, unsolved bugs:
  • Wolves don't breed, while FC stated they should be able to. (commissioned by hiracho)
  • Slime offspring can spawn through walls. Currently a patch by Hiracho
  • Silverfish had a nerf to preserve old stone builds in the end that was never undone leaving them non-existent in the end.
  • Explosives have been left unfinished at the end of the tech tree, but also got affected by the drop nerf of creeper explosions.
  • Pulleys and platforms sometimes drop players and items de-spawn if they ride them too long.
  • Skins don't load, currently a patch by Zhil
  • Player rendering gets stuck a couple chunks away in multiplayer when moving out of each others loading range, possibly fixed by someone(can't recall who)
  • The surface world has areas that don't respond to daylight and are stuck with lightlevel 0. The so called Lighting bug.
  • Upon fresh install, sounds aren't downloaded correctly.
  • Reeds can be placed under water.
  • Moulds are only disabled because fixing them for multiplayer was more effort than felt worth it to FC, fixing them for multiplayer could mean the return of these.
  • Trapdoors and signs are wood but not burnable.
  • Flowers aren't burnable.
  • baby animals AI is bugged. they path to adults starving themselves. they also still think they can jump 1 high.(not tested on latest patch, but no indication this was fixed)

Next to that, there might be room to sneak in some quality of life changes. This is still subject to discussion. Right now I'll just put up a list I think should be added to a base experience.

Issues on this list are Qol changes that don't smoothen certain unwieldy experiences:
  • Click Bait from Yany.
  • Boat mapping from Yany. Possibly Map Colors from Sockthing.
  • Better Item Frame Maps from Six.
  • The potion HUD from IssaMe.
  • An achievement mod that gives a decent guide of what to go for next for newer players. (being worked on by Sockthing)
  • Being able to shift click items into the 2x2 crafting grid as if working on a crafting.
  • Less subtle start screen confirmation /rework that BTW is installed.

Feel free to address issues you feel should be on these lists, but be sure to write up well reasoned arguments.
It might be nice to let people know here if you're looking into one of these issues. Either for teamwork, or to save someone to effort that was already put in by someone else :)
Last edited by Hiracho on Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:04 am, edited 7 times in total.
dawnraider

Re: [CommunityPatch] List of current BTW features that should be addressed in a community patch

Post by dawnraider »

So I don't think shift-clicking into a 2x2 crafting grid is a great change because shift clicking is already used in main inventory for switching between hotbar and main inventory. I find myself using that more often than I find myself annoyed that 2x2 crafting does not have shift clicking.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
dawnraider

Re: [CommunityPatch] List of current BTW features that should be addressed in a community patch

Post by dawnraider »

Another thing to add to the issues to fix is the lighting bug.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

Shift clicking with the right and left mouse button both do the same, plus there are other hotkeys for inventory/hotbar swapping. It irks me that shift clicking is inconsistent depending on what gui you have open, open any gui and it tries to fill in that item. Just making one of the two buttons actually do that for your regular inventory would benefit everyone right?
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

Updated*
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

My memory is a bit fuzzy because I haven't played the endgame part of the mod in a while, I just came back recently to have a go with the Better terrain Addon, so please forgive me if I get some stuff wrong :
- There are still some gaps regarding the automation of farms and animal breeding, mainly in the ability to automate the crafting of the items required for breeding, or the lack of recipe to get the seeds from wheat without player interaction
- You can't craft the grass planter anymore, even though it's mandatory if you want to avoid enderman stealing grass and breaking your animal farms
- Trapdoors are made of wood but aren't flammable
- iirc the moulds used in the anvil have been removed because they could be abused in multiplayer, but maybe they could be available in singleplayer ?

And a final one that doesn't really fit the theme but that has been bothering me a lot : the dichotomy between villager trading being the perfect incentive to incite players to make big automated farms, yet the most important blocks needed for those projects are gated after you went to the end, after you had to do most of the trading. Should the BD and the DB be moved a little lower in the tech tree ? Or maybe some of the villagers could trade you some ?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah I think it may be fine to reimplement moulds. FC disabled them because not enough people used them for him to think it was worth rewriting them to work in multiplayer. I think it could be a decent option now for one of us to put in the effort to make them work properly in multiplayer as well.

I actually have been working on an addon to address animals and wheat and stuff, but yeah I feel like that's pretty core to gameplay of BTW so I think it could definitely work incorporated into base BTW.

The thing about BDs and DBs is interesting. I 100% agree with you, although part of the problem there is that there is very little in the form of tech gates between crucible and soulforge. Almost all restriction in the mid game is cost based not tech based, except the aforementioned soulforge. The other problem is that it would require a restructuring of the villager trades. Level 4->5 librarian is all post-soulforge tech items. If you removed the soulforge requirement from them then you could get to the end without ever having to level up the priest or fight the wither.

I do also have a couple more things to add:
  • Chunkloaders (we've been discussing it on discord but I'm mentioning it here too for posterity).
  • Change squid spawning to make having large bodies of water loaded less crippling to squid farm rates.
  • Diamond shears and chisel from deco.
Get the Deco Addon here!
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Battosay wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:31 pm And a final one that doesn't really fit the theme but that has been bothering me a lot : the dichotomy between villager trading being the perfect incentive to incite players to make big automated farms, yet the most important blocks needed for those projects are gated after you went to the end, after you had to do most of the trading. Should the BD and the DB be moved a little lower in the tech tree ? Or maybe some of the villagers could trade you some ?
If I'm understanding correctly, most of the automation stuff *is* available before you get to the end - anything that doesn't require SFS, anyway. The soulforge can already be created by trading with villagers, which seems like the kind of suggestion you're thinking about. I haven't reached that point in survival post-AAHHHH though so I can't say how the progression plays out in practice.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Soulforge tech is available pre-end, but once you have a soulforge you are close enough to the end that the distinction is minimal.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I few more stuff I thought about :
- Sugarcane still can be planted deep under water, allowing you to breathe and stay underwater easily, negating the need for the respiration enchantment
- I can't remember if this was changed or not but the death rate of grass under water was super fast, making animal farms extremely limited in which design you could use
dawnraider wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:46 pm The thing about BDs and DBs is interesting. I 100% agree with you, although part of the problem there is that there is very little in the form of tech gates between crucible and soulforge. Almost all restriction in the mid game is cost based not tech based, except the aforementioned soulforge. The other problem is that it would require a restructuring of the villager trades. Level 4->5 librarian is all post-soulforge tech items. If you removed the soulforge requirement from them then you could get to the end without ever having to level up the priest or fight the wither.
Yeah I just thought I'd throw it out there to see if it resonated with people, but my memory of all the intricacies of villager trading and the late game tech is all mixed up between the old and the new BTW so I'll wait until I reach that point in my playthrough to make better informed comments. From my two previous worlds I just remember distinctly feeeling frustrated that I couldn't build big farms when the game was clearly asking me to, then being slightly disappointed when I had access to those tools because the incentive was mostly gone.

Edit :
Chunkloaders (we've been discussing it on discord but I'm mentioning it here too for posterity).
That's something I'd definitely be interested about. One of the feature that I loved the most was the always-loaded spawn, but sadly it meant that carefully selecting you seed when starting a world was super important, and if you wanted to be "efficient" you'd shop around for hours for a seed with the spawn being near a jungle and/or a swamp
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Battosay wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:31 pm And a final one that doesn't really fit the theme but that has been bothering me a lot : the dichotomy between villager trading being the perfect incentive to incite players to make big automated farms, yet the most important blocks needed for those projects are gated after you went to the end, after you had to do most of the trading. Should the BD and the DB be moved a little lower in the tech tree ? Or maybe some of the villagers could trade you some ?
This one has also been bothering me a lot although I haven't spoken up about it as I haven't gotten to that tech level in my current playthrough also.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I think a big problem with soulforge being gated behind priest/wither fight specifically is that the priest and the butcher (if you use him for wither skulls) trades are entirely reliant on exploration. You need to find one of each of the artifacts as well as carrots and potatoes. The exploration process is fun at first... but it gets old. It's also seemingly luck based, and the default ocean size doesn't help at all. Some players find everything quickly, others lose hours and hours on the process. This creates a situation where, rather than building cool machines, you are stuck out in the wilderness AFKing at ten minute intervals while waiting for day. This also means that you don't have a lot of automated processes set up until AFTER exploring. That exploration time would have been awesome for building up automated resources.

It might be useful to list some of the things we would want to build pre-priest:

-Detector block allows for daylight sensing. A consistent, non-decay timing method that can be hooked up to hemp and chicken farming.

-BD's let us automate stone production, pottery, charcoal, wood cutting, various packables. Also, timers.

-Buddies make the above machines better?

I'm probably missing a lot. What if we moved the soulforge over to the blacksmith and make some of his trades less obnoxious? Make him more iron intensive so that a mob trap is required to trade up to soul forge.

All of this suggesting power is going to my head!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

- You can't craft the grass planter anymore, even though it's mandatory if you want to avoid enderman stealing grass and breaking your animal farms
There's not been problems with this. You can make animal farms that aren't prone to endermen stealing grass. If a solution can be found in game, (re) adding a block seems like bad way to go about. also the grass dying under water hasn't been an issue for people to come up with stuff ;) These aren't bugs or broken things, they are simply constraints promoting innovation.
A lot of tech has changed considerably, big part of BTW now is that several tech levels make you build stuff differently, being limited by not having BD's and DB's has provided tons of innovative builds.

As far as I'm concerned the community patch is intended to fix broken things, to set a baseline. the overall way the game is played staying exactly the same. Then have add-ons that add stuff people feel are lacking. The whole fixing animals thing Is probably better off in a BTW extended/revived what have you add-on. as it brings features that aren't in the current game. Same goes for all the addition dawn just mentioned. And Aaron now too! Maybe we need another topic that addresses half finished features?

I do feel BTW lacks a lot of stuff. It has many unfinished features and have many ideas what and how to add to it, but I'd like to honor BTW as is and give people the possibility to play a barebones BTW without its current bugs.

so my list of what should be baseline fixes:
Trapdoors aren't burnable? I've never noticed! seems like an oversight.
sugarcane underwater is a lame exploit, but its only one of many things that can do this. this one can easily be fixed but do we want to somehow limit them all? for instance: fence posts can be used for this purpose even more freely.
Moulds could be fixed, completely agree with what dawn mentioned about it. I thought it would be easy to just put in the same thing that limits multiple players from trading to the same villager.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Hiracho wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:50 pm A lot of tech has changed considerably, big part of BTW now is that several tech levels make you build stuff differently, being limited by not having BD's and DB's has provided tons of innovative builds.
Well I'd love to see those, I haven't seen any new designs posted here in years, and since Discord is awful to check if you only come sporadically I missed a lot of discussions and pics.

As for the grass dying/grass planters I brought it up because last time I mentioned it here, FC seemed liked it could be considered.

And sorry for derailing the thread with the BD thing, like I said before I mentioned it
And a final one that doesn't really fit the theme
, but it has been bothering me for a while and I just couldn't resist ^^
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Most people have settled on the grass conveyor as the best option for animals. Keep the animals still and rotate a conveyor of grass through them that gets regrown as it rotates around.

I'll make a post about it in the main forum soon. I do want to try and get these forums going again and yeah posting about designs like that is a great way to do that.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

No worries Battosay! Everyone is pumped with ideas and there should be a vent for that, and now that I think about that, the title might not have been the best pick for a thread that was supposed to focus on unsolved bugs and broken things ^_^

I've been wanting to post a lot of my interesting designs on this forum for years, but I had found my vent in discord with its high interactivity and low key. They would have been better off here but there's this barrier of actually making a post that is pretty hard to get over.. Now I've got so much stuff I wouldn't even know where to begin! With this place becoming more active I might make myself post some designs n stuff :)
jakerman999

Re: [CommunityPatch] List of current unsolved bugs and unintended issues that should be addressed in a community patch

Post by jakerman999 »

Bit of an odd one, but how about a small change to the titlescreen? For a while there was that big banner that prompted you to update to 1.6, and BTW strips that out entirely. I used to use this 'feature' as a way to check if I screwed anything up in the install at a glance. Now however, that banner 403's and the only difference is the yellow text that flashes underneath the Minecraft logo, but also changes all the time(Sometimes these are obvious enough to let me know it worked). It would be convenient to have a bit of text or graphic that differentiated the title from a clean 1.5.2
dawnraider

Re: [CommunityPatch] List of current unsolved bugs and unintended issues that should be addressed in a community patch

Post by dawnraider »

Should be possible to add the BTW version to the MC version listed in the bottom left
Get the Deco Addon here!
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

jakerman999 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm It would be convenient to have a bit of text or graphic that differentiated the title from a clean 1.5.2
I suppose new players wouldn't have the FC splash texts memorized. :P

Don't mind the bones in the soup.
Spoiler
Show
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I've been playing nine years and haven't memorized them all. That's with scrolling through the list twice for a laugh and all. Perhaps that's me not paying enough attention though. Although upon opening it now, it seems shorter than I remember. Has it been trimmed?

Version in the lower left first thought as well. It seems unoriginal, but it's the accepted standard at this point. I prefer it by a decent margin to the three other possibilities that crossed my mind: changing the title logo to a BTW one, changing the window title itself, and displaying the BTW icon somewhere on screen(I couldn't imagine a decent spot for it).

Had also thought that if going that route, it might be an idea to list every installed FCAddOn such that you can verify the install of every addon at once.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah FC did trim the list a while back, mostly removing outdated ones.

As for adding any addon in the bottom left, that is a bit more complicated. Right now every addon needs to be poked by a base class and not all based classes load before the title screen so that list would not be correct depending on what the addons used. That will have to wait for us to make a proper modloader, whether than be some intermediary or if we just wait until fabric is ready.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

updated the bug list with fire resistant flowers and bugged baby animal ai.

updated QoL list with renewed start screen.

Since BTW is sort of a total overhaul, I feel it deserves to change the logo or add to it :)
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Some discussion and decisions are happening elsewhere and you need to join the Discord if you want to participate fully. Though I am told that features for which input is welcome will be posted here
Last edited by Whuppee on Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah the unfortunate fact is that it's hard to coordinate something like that over a forum which can take a while to have a back and forth.

But basically the gist of it is this: We are currently in the process of making a first version for the community edition which will basically only be fixes, API features, and some mapmaking features. At the moment the source is only accessible to people who are members of the BTW community github (anyone who wishes to join can ask though and I will invite you) as making it public would break Mojang's EULA, but we are working on making some scripts which will automatically turn a vanilla mcp into a version of it suitable for BTW addon development.

Further versions will be fairly conservative in their scope but will include other fixes to things generally seen as broken or unfinished about BTW (basically a lot of what we've already been talking about in this thread).
Get the Deco Addon here!
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I've been super busy lately, so I haven't been able to follow the discord very effectively or participate in this process. Just chiming in to say that occasional posting on here is nice for people in my position. I am very excited for this community patch, and I am glad that its scope is purposefully limited.
Spoiler
Show