Blasting oil in vogue?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
EpicAaron

Blasting oil in vogue?

Post by EpicAaron »

On the Vioki Discord I have noticed a few players speak to the merits of redneck fishing. I honestly forgot about that feature entirely! I am curious if anyone is really throwing precious dynamite into lakes. If so, when do you start doing that? As soon as the rendering tech opens, or much later in the game?

This surge in dynamite usage has already resulted in hilarious fun. I recall one player spontaneously exploding while transporting volatile blasting oil. I don't remember who or when, but I think some diamonds were lost. Another player (@Gates) barely caught themself with blasting oil in their inventory before doing a nether dive. That would have been an exciting, if very short, nether adventure. Personally, the risk doesn't seem worth it to me. I can barely remember what project I am working on every time I traverse a set of digital stairs, let alone what is in my inventory.

Do you guys bother creating infrastructure to prevent blasting accidents? Something like a lab or separate production zone, or do you guys just craft up the blasting oil in your main area and hope for the best?
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
TheGatesofLogic

Re: Blasting oil in vogue?

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I use dynamite for fishing all the time. My usual strategy for post-nether/pre-sustainability is to go on nether portal jumps and go hunting, both for villages and for pork and leather. While searching for carrots and potatoes I can acquire several stacks of pork, and a decent quantity of leather for either tanning or glue. Each pork equates to two sticks of dynamite, which is between 2 and 5 fish. That’s a huge multiplication of food reserves. If you have a decent milk ranch you can double that again sustainably in the form of chowder.

My recommendation to avoid death by blasting oil is to never take it out of the cauldron except in the exact quantities for the amount of dynamite you’re making. I nearly killed myself by not following my own rule on that.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah redneck fishing is actually remarkably efficient. I haven't done it post-animageddon but I used it a lot before that.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Huh, I didn't even realize you could get dynamite pre-end, because of the need for gunpowder. The crafting tree to make explosives was always complicated enough that I never bothered to learn all the recipes (and also explosives not really being required for anything in the tech tree). I'll have to try it out sometime.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I'm always surprised at how few people know about the ability to convert glowstone into brimstone with a souldsand filter. It's quite useful for specifically this purpose.

I think part of the reason is explosives being not particularly useful (or even detrimental in some cases) and so it is not an area of play explored very often.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!