A Message For The Community

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
emptychild

Re: A Message For The Community

Post by emptychild »

I was wondering if it might be possible to get previous versions of the mod now that your outlook has changed. I'd love to be able to play some of the older versions that weren't as hardcore or survival intensive.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

emptychild wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:59 pm I was wondering if it might be possible to get previous versions of the mod now that your outlook has changed. I'd love to be able to play some of the older versions that weren't as hardcore or survival intensive.
Yeah, I was considering that. It's more just mindlessly clicking the interface items on mediafire for what feels like hundreds of individual versions to set their permissions that I'm not super keen on :)

Is there a particular version you'd like access to? I certainly don't mind flipping a couple of switches to that end.

EDIT: I opened up the version right before AAAAHHH, as I suspect that's the one that people would most likely want, version 4.A9 Postules Lancing (b release was a patch):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/cd4h6bt0 ... b.zip/file
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

emptychild wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:59 pm I was wondering if it might be possible to get previous versions of the mod now that your outlook has changed. I'd love to be able to play some of the older versions that weren't as hardcore or survival intensive.
Nm my previous, as I figured out a way to do a bulk select for permissions within the mediafire interface. All the old versions should now be available, with the same download links as in their announcement posts.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I have been playing this mod on-and-off since early 2012 when I was only 13 years old, so it's fair to say it's been a big part of my life. I was definitely too young to follow the stringent forum rules back then and understandably I was eventually banned :P When I opened this account I was pretty surprised when I wasn't banned without mercy, since the only difference in my name was the -321 rather than a -123.

My fondest memory of this communist was opening up a multiplayer server (must've been 2014 or so), which saw surprising success. Cheers to Sockthing for helping me out back then. I was quite young and inexperienced for that sort of thing, but it worked it :)

I haven't always agreed with your forum policies, but I've always adored your work and your incredibly creative solutions to complex problems. Your patchnotes were always a joy to read, and your "Don't give a fuck" attitude was inspiring.
I'm very sad to hear about the toll on your well-being, but relieved that you have done some real introspection.

I hope we will continue to hear from you one way or the other.

Cheers!

PS: Regarding old versions: I'd like to try out an arbitrary 2012 version purely for nostalgia :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:34 pm
Nm my previous, as I figured out a way to do a bulk select for permissions within the mediafire interface. All the old versions should now be available, with the same download links as in their announcement posts.
Just spent the better part of my morning compiling all the links to the announcements that I could find into a wiki page for all those interested in picking up older versions.

A bit bonkers to see that you had 247 releases over the span of nearly 10 years!

--Edit
FlowerChild wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:34 pm Nm my previous, as I figured out a way to do a bulk select for permissions within the mediafire interface. All the old versions should now be available, with the same download links as in their announcement posts.
Clicking through all the links to find broken links and I noticed that versions 2.70 onward (save for the most current and A9PustulesLancingb) are all still set to private. I wonder if your bulk change only worked for a single page of files on MediaFire?

Also, a request. Can I get the links to specifically versions 1.0, 2.59, 2.94, 4.83 as they seem to be broken on the VMC forums!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm Clicking through all the links to find broken links and I noticed that versions 2.70 onward (save for the most current and A9PustulesLancingb) are all still set to private. I wonder if your bulk change only worked for a single page of files on MediaFire?
You're right. The Mediafire interface is super wonky. Should be working now.

magikeh wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm Also, a request. Can I get the links to specifically versions 1.0, 2.59, 2.94, 4.83 as they seem to be broken on the VMC forums!
1.0: https://www.mediafire.com/file/fsolaq1o ... 0.zip/file
2.59: Doesn't exist
2.94: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jdx0m7nrr ... 4.zip/file
4.83: Doesn't exist

Not sure why those 2 don't exist. Only thing I can think of is they might have contained destructive bugs that I did not feel comfortable keeping around in any form.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:17 pm
magikeh wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm Clicking through all the links to find broken links and I noticed that versions 2.70 onward (save for the most current and A9PustulesLancingb) are all still set to private. I wonder if your bulk change only worked for a single page of files on MediaFire?
You're right. The Mediafire interface is super wonky. Should be working now.

magikeh wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm Also, a request. Can I get the links to specifically versions 1.0, 2.59, 2.94, 4.83 as they seem to be broken on the VMC forums!
1.0: https://www.mediafire.com/file/fsolaq1o ... 0.zip/file
2.59: Doesn't exist
2.94: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jdx0m7nrr ... 4.zip/file
4.83: Doesn't exist

Not sure why those 2 don't exist. Only thing I can think of is they might have contained destructive bugs that I did not feel comfortable keeping around in any form.
Thank you so much! I'll keep plugging away at this table :)
Magical Shit
Show
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

magikeh wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm
Just spent the better part of my morning compiling all the links to the announcements that I could find into a wiki page for all those interested in picking up older versions.

A bit bonkers to see that you had 247 releases over the span of nearly 10 years!
Wow! That is insanely awesome!
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:17 pm Not sure why those 2 don't exist. Only thing I can think of is they might have contained destructive bugs that I did not feel comfortable keeping around in any form.
Reading into the comments surrounding these announcement posts it would indeed seem that they were causing game breaking bugs. If you would like to add the remaining, missing links (only those which were immediately patched) I can add them to the table but honestly I don't think it's required as there were releases within a day of most.
Magical Shit
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:59 pm Reading into the comments surrounding these announcement posts it would indeed seem that they were causing game breaking bugs. If you would like to add the remaining, missing links (only those which were immediately patched) I can add them to the table but honestly I don't think it's required as there were releases within a day of most.
Yeah, I figured I must have had a good reason to delete them entirely :) Let's leave them out then, as I prefer not to have that kind of code floating about, particularly with zero benefit to it.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

late to the party. But as always "Thank you!" for all the time/effort and emotions you put into this mod, really made minecraft my most played game. I look forward to seeing what the community does going forward with this change.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

So sorry to hear the toll it's taken on you over all these years FC, I really hope these changes help promote some healing.

And of course, thank you so much for everything you've put into this mod. It's not an exaggeration for me to say this mod and this community have fundamentally shaped how I see video games, game design, content creation, and their communities. I had no idea the journey I was signing up for when I set up this forum for y'all a decade ago as a teenage kid :)

I'm excited to see what the community has in store for the future!
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I was also just a kid when I got into BTW. Modding with BTW was also where I got a big kick-start into my career. You and your mod taught me a lot of life lessons. BTW was where I learned that I liked to be challenged, I like difficulty, because you can't have accomplishment without difficulty. To me it's not just the most important aspect of a game, but also of life itself. I haven't played it in a long time but not for lack of wanting. Thanks for everything FC. <3 I know we haven't really talked much over the years, but I do lurk here and I read much of the stuff that you write. You and BTW will always have a place in my heart.
fioret

Post by fioret »

FlowerChild wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:30 pm EDIT: I opened up the version right before AAAAHHH, as I suspect that's the one that people would most likely want, version 4.A9 Postules Lancing (b release was a patch):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/cd4h6bt0 ... b.zip/file
Is there a way to see the wiki as it was before AAAAHHH?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

fioret wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm Is there a way to see the wiki as it was before AAAAHHH?
Please avoid off topic conversation like this in pinned posts
fioret

Post by fioret »

Sarudak wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm Please avoid off topic conversation like this in pinned posts
It isn't offtopic. Minecraft (at least early versions) depends a lot on the wiki. Having access to early versions without a simple way to see the wiki is like having half of the game.
Also, People talking about how they started to play the mod like 10 years ago looks more offtopic to me. But of course, I'm a new member, you can send me to shut up.
I thought that it was a new era in this forum without hate for the new members but I see that everything keeps the same.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

fioret wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:01 pm It isn't offtopic. Minecraft (at least early versions) depends a lot on the wiki. Having access to early versions without a simple way to see the wiki is like having half of the game.
Also, People talking about how they started to play the mod like 10 years ago looks more offtopic to me. But of course, I'm a new member, you can send me to shut up.
I thought that it was a new era in this forum without hate for the new members but I see that everything keeps the same.
Yes. This is a new era. Which is why I'm going to show exceptional forbearance here and explain that it is offtopic as it has nothing to do with FCs message. He doesn't maintain the wiki and he didn't talk about the wiki at all. You are free to create a new thread on this topic. You could even have asked in the thread about useful links (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86) and it would have been on topic. No one is hating on new members here but this kind of passive aggressiveness is what will get you banned.
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

As someone bonk'ed by the banhammer on a hunch/impression before: no hard feelings.
Actually i wish more creators (videos,music,mods, whatever) would adopt less pander-y mindset.

Obviously you really have (had?) a short fuse, but as a dev i get where you're coming from haha.
Anyways, thanks for the only big & coherent minecraft overhaul mod.