Guess who's back and blind let's play!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Eriottosan

Guess who's back and blind let's play!

Post by Eriottosan »

Hello faces new and old!

It's been a minute, but I'm back on the scene. I hope some of you remember me, I remember a few of you for sure!

Last time I played better than wolves (or Minecraft at all) was back when you could still punch trees for wood, which as I understand it is no longer the case (but no spoilers please!)

My plan is to play BTW mostly blind to the changes, only looking for help if I get *really* stuck or when I reach a stage where things feel familiar/old territory.

And then I decided, why not record it as a let's play! Mostly for myself but also for you guys.

So if there's anything you think I need to do besides follow the install guide, let me know. I'll be firing up in the next day or two and giving this whole thing another go.

EDIT:
My first two days are up!
Follow the channel here

Playlist link

First Episode
Second Episode

Wish me luck!
Eriottosan
Last edited by Eriottosan on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Epsilon

Re: Guess who's back and blind let's play!

Post by Epsilon »

On the install side you might want to consider installing some additional mods.
The ones generally considered essential are:
Skin fix and item frame map adjustment
Then there are the bigger ones adding more content like:
Deco and Jorges
Also you might consider installing craftguide... but that might compromise your spoiler free wishes.

Also I personally would advise using a texture pack and therefore running MCpatcher to properly display all the features of the advanced texture packs.
You can find several TPs in the subforum.
Most importantly if you run a TP, set your options file to read only and the default TP and manually switch to your TP after launching the game, else you might wait upwards of 10 minutes for the game to load.

Finally, a while ago I made a good tech tree visualisation, that is mostly still up to date. So if you at some point don't mind spoilers anymore it's a good overview.

I wish you the best for the game, and remember to have fun ;)
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Thanks Epsilon, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! On my test load of btw (no playing just checking it installed), I noticed my lack of personalised skin... Though I can no longer remember what my custom skin looked like... I know I had one...

I'll install the item frame one, too, although I doubt I'll get to maps any time soon!

As for Deco/Jorge's, unless they add some sort of world gen, I think I will leave them until I have a "base", which was hard enough in the old btw and I'm sure is harder now!

Does Panda still have a texture pack and is it current? I know for a fact the one I made won't be xD

I'll check out your visualisation once I've got to grips with early game stuff!

Thanks again
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Hey, glad to see you back!

Deco is intended to be added to an existing world and thus does not add any world gen. Only thing it adds really that's even accessible before a cauldron is a few blocks have been extended to all wood types. Doors, trap doors, and an early game block which I won't spoil.

Jorge's addon I believe is exclusively post end, although it may be accessible with a soulforge, but that's still very late game.

Panda's texture pack is not current. Mine is (Conquest), which I believe is the only one with full deco support. Sockthing's Aurora is in progress, Wyr3d's Derivation Omega is up to date, and Mesh's mix is up to date barring a few textures I believe.

Also, feel free to stop by the discord, linked in my sig.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Hey stranger, it's good to be back! I think... I've not tried anything yet!

I'll definitely add Deco once I've played around a bit. Conquest is looking tight!

I'll jump on the discord now ☺️
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Welcome back Eriottosan! Good to see you :)
Epsilon wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:50 am On the install side you might want to consider installing some additional mods.
Jeez dude... all of these are hardly necessary for someone coming back to the mod. Skin fix is pretty much exclusively a multiplayer thing. Map frames are hardly a central feature, and are really only a big deal if someone is hardcore into mapping and displaying their maps in game in a very particular manner. Additional content is nice for some, but far from necessary.

Eriottosan, my advice would be to ignore all of the above initially with the possible exception of a texture pack if that's a big deal for you.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

FlowerChild wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:52 pm Eriottosan, my advice would be to ignore all of the above initially
This is what I've done to begin with, with the exception of the skin fix (largely as I couldn't remember what my skin was and was curious!)

If you want to see my first two days, I've uploaded them to my channel. I've updated the original post, too.

Spoiler: I learn a lot, but don't survive!

Loving the early game so far FC, I think I know enough now to hopefully have something more than sticks and stones...
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Eriottosan I just wanted to say I've thoroughly enjoyed your LP's and the walk down memory lane as you've struggled with the early game blind. I wish I could completely forget how it all worked and struggle through it again blind myself, it's so cool! I'm also impressed, you're managing it with much fewer deaths than I did when the I played the early game changes.