Jungle Spider Trap

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
AddyBaha

Jungle Spider Trap

Post by AddyBaha »

Hi. Maybe some of you can help me understand why my trap isn't working.

I build a small tower. Filled it with two layers of spawnpads. Each spawnpad consists of 2 layers of jungleleaves and is above the sealevel. I cleared all jungle around the trap.
But still no spiders spawning. What am I missing?
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
gaga654

Re: Jungle Spider Trap

Post by gaga654 »

It's possible that the trap just isn't big enough. I did some testing of spawn rates several months ago when Whuppee was building a jungle spider trap on his stream and having problems getting spawns. As far as I know spawning mechanics haven't changed since then. The problem is that jungle spiders share a spawn cap with other hostile mobs. So if a bunch of other mobs are spawning and filling up the spawn cap, then it'll stop jungle spiders from spawning. In addition, I believe that jungle spiders are coded to spawn less often than other mobs - even if they have equal amounts of spawn space. To get a decent amount of jungle spiders you need to either have a very large trap or you need to have lit up most of the surrounding caves. You have to get the ratio of (jungle spider spawnable area) to (other hostile mob spawnable area) as high as you can.

Also I'm pretty sure FC fixed a bug with jungle spider spawning where they needed 2-thick leaf platforms, so they should be able to spawn just fine on 1-thick platforms.
Hiracho

Re: Jungle Spider Trap

Post by Hiracho »

I can confirm that you don't need double layered spawn pads anymore. Doesn't look like you're missing anything either. I'd say the spawn rate is just too low for you to notice spawn or depending on the way you confirmed nothing spawned perhaps the few that did spawn didn't fall for your trap mechanism.. Even in my 5 floor 16x16 trap at spawn with almost everything lit up except for a normal mob trap there was around 1 venom sac per day average.