Why do my baby cows keep dying?

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Mason11987

Why do my baby cows keep dying?

Post by Mason11987 »

Album of pics: https://imgur.com/a/6cuHzV5

I regularly will breed up a couple cows and later they're gone. As you can see in the picture there's no way they can escape, and I've lit up a huge area around so nothing is coming to get them (and I think only zombies even attempt to attack cows, right?)

The adults seem to survive but I rarely see the babies become adults, they're babies, then later they're gone. They're not starving because I never see the grass really gone

Any ideas?
dawnraider

Re: Why do my baby cows keep dying?

Post by dawnraider »

I remember seeing an issue posted that babies would continuously try to jump up 1 blocks ledges but couldn't, and would keep doing that until they starved because they wouldn't try to eat. Perhaps that's related? A short term fix would likely be slabbing all the block height changes in the cow pen to allow the babies to move freely.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I've expanded my land and flattened it. There's no longer any step ups towards grass that's not behind a fence or wall and they keep dying occassionally. I've also signifiacantly expanded my torched radius, no mob gets even close to the pen.

Any thoughts?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lightning? Are you seeing them in intermediate hungry texture states ever or just suddenly dead?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Lightning is definitely possible, I'll look into the lightning rods and throw some around. I don't see them in a hungry state (and there appears to be plenty of grass) and I have supported 5-6 full size cows at different points in that pen, but then I'll have 2 and a new baby that's bred will be gone later.
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

one thing to note is that baby animals will try to stay close to an adult animal. This will be their first priority if an adult is close enough. they'll just try to get to them even if they can't reach them. the baby animal will eat grass directly below it while keeping as close as possible to the adult, but it won't path to actual food and will rather starve. Maybe this is an issue in your pen. adults mixed with baby animals can make the baby animals starve cause the adult doesn't really walk to an area with enough grass for the baby
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That makes sense Hiracho. I should adjust that behavior when I have a chance.