Why did I get a corrupted world?

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
jstu9

Why did I get a corrupted world?

Post by jstu9 »

My world is gone. But I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong so that I don't repeat it again.

So, the last couple weeks I've been playing on a friends Realm (vanilla). I use two options.txt files and I just go back and forth with them when I play vanilla vs BTW.

So, a couple hours ago I switched options, jumped on my BTW world as I wanted to check craftguide (yes could this be the problem?) for the recipes for doors and chests. I was probably on for ~30 secs. A little later, I switched the options and went onto the Realms server. Played for a little bit but realized I want to play BTW. So switch options again, bring it up, click on my save.... and it read "Downloading Terrain" for about 2 minutes. Seemed odd. I closed out, brought it up again, tried starting the world, and it was Downloading Terrain for again for 2 minutes. I closed out. Tried bringing it up again and the save file is no longer in the list.

I do not have a level.dat nor a level.dat_old file in my folder for the save, only a level.dat_mcr file. This is why I think the world is corrupted and gone.

I can bring up other BTW worlds and I can go and play vanilla. But this world is gone.

Could this be a craftguide issue? Or I wasn't on the world long enough when I did get on? Or should have waited longer to let it "download terrain"? I don't think I screwed it up, but did I screw up the switching the options.txt file? Or is it even knowable?
dawnraider

Re: Why did I get a corrupted world?

Post by dawnraider »

Not likely a craftguide issue, I've used craftguide for 2 years with no problems. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I may be able to help recover from it. If you have a backup of the world, you can take the level.dat from that and copy/paste it. As long as the region files are still fine then all your blocks and items in chests will be fine, although your location and inventory will reset to the last backup. If you do not have a backup, if you know the seed then make a new world with the same seed, the copy/paste the level.dat from that. This will put you at spawn and wipe your inventory completely, but again your world itself will be fine as long as the region files are fine. If you don't have the seed, then you can use NBTExplorer to open the level.dat_mcr file and get the seed from that. You may even be able to copy/paste that file and rename it. Looking at it on one of my world it appeared to have the data from the start of the world.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

Thank you for the response, I'll try those. Hopefully I can recover it but I'm not all that hopeful.
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

I was able to get my world back by doing the above. Lost the stuff I was carrying of course but it was just like I had died and lost my stuff.

Then I tried to play the next day.... and the same thing happened. It wouldn't load up. I presume I have some computer issue or set something wrong or something. But unfortunately, looks like I'm not playing BTW anytime soon. :(