4.AFFFFFFF - Animageddon Spoiler Thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
chaoticneutral

Re: 4.AFFFFFFF - Animageddon Spoiler Thread

Post by chaoticneutral »

I love how the world feels a bit more alive with those changes. Animals aren't just "lying around", waiting for zombies/spiders/me to consume them; no, they're part of the world too, and they're going to eat or die.

Goodbye to those cows, sheep and pigs kept in holes "just in case". This strategy won't work anymore, if something happens and my pigs are wiped out (they were - suicide by torch removal), I'm going to travel a bit to find new pigs to bring home.

Storing chicken as eggs is still safe, but once popped out they eat a lot! I love how now I'm required to build bigger, larger, before even thinking on animals for long-term meat and eggs production, now I need a good pumpkin farm before ever thinking "hey, I should automate chickens".

I've been experimenting with semi-automated approaches, such as filling a dispenser with wheat manually and letting the animals take the wheat off a pressure plate. It *kinda* works but I need to automate my vegetable farms better before that.
--Who do you think you are, War?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

chaoticneutral wrote:I love how the world feels a bit more alive with those changes. Animals aren't just "lying around", waiting for zombies/spiders/me to consume them; no, they're part of the world too, and they're going to eat or die.
That was one of the first things I noticed while working on this: it makes the animals and the world around them feel more real.

When I first got an early version working, I found it was actually emotionally draining to be around the huge testing areas I had created to observe animals slowly starving to death. I would occasionally not be able to resist tossing them a stack of wheat to let them live a little longer and ease my conscience somewhat :)

It's been a bit of a slow burn, I assume while everyone gets used to the changes, but I'm very happy to see that people are enjoying the Animageddon changes.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:Because yeah, I remember before I started the whole hardcore journey, BTW took something like 10 hours to play through the whole tech tree, and your 100 hours getting to your first torch is backed up by Vioki recently saying it took him 60 to reach the same point (which makes sense given you're having to relearn more of the mod than him).

I have no clue how much a full playthrough would be now. 150+ hours? Regardless, I feel pretty safe saying it's really not the same mod anymore :)
I'd say it's more than that. It took me about 30 hours to get to my first torch, but that was back at the very start of the overhaul (version 4.AABABABA I believe). But I'm now at a bit more than 400 hours in my current world that I started at the very beginning of the overhaul and I'm in the middle of villager trading. Granted I know I'm much more meticulous in my world than most (and I'm also still getting past seeing BTW as a tech mod with obstacles, which it hasn't been in a long time) but there's so much content now its great, and every bit of it must be earned.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

Posting for any other number-folks out there.

A 2x1 chunk are (spider-proof) in the always-on area will keep 8 chickens alive pretty easily. When we had them laying eggs they ate the place bare. We've done the wither and are considering a go at the dragon soon but with all this tech we've made maybe 40 arrows and none of that was from farmed chickens. :( Oh, and chicks separated far enough from an adult that are close enough to know they are there but far enough not be able to reach them will starve themselves to death.

A 2x2 chunk area was good (ish) for 4 cows that were un-milked. I felt it was touch and go though and was always worried it might tip over into going bare. This same size is now easily handling 4 sheep. I suspect it could handle 8 without issue.

I didn't mess with pigs but someone else on the server just fenced off a very large portion of ground and set torches on fence so they couldn't be uprooted. We notice a slow draining of the pigs and suspect it's the occasional lightning storm.

We have 234 planters for wheat/potatoes/carrots and 25 for melons. Even bone-mealing everything I can't keep up auto-feeding/auto-laying 8 chickens for more than a refill and a half of the dispensers (one chicken feed, one melon seeds). Obviously we could build more planters but I drained at least 5 swamps of clay to get this much and its not worth my sanity to build any more.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Have you tapped into trades at all to supplement items? On my run just prior to the animal changes the trades were just a gate to the items I needed.

I wonder now if carful trading could net you the surplus of items needed to reach a combat inventory.