Version 4.AAAAAAAAAAHHHH Hints/Help Request (MILD SPOILERS)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
dawnraider

Re: Version 4.AAAAAAAAAAHHHH Hints/Help Request (MILD SPOILE

Post by dawnraider »

Spoiler
Show
Yes, but it needs to be isolated
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

Gotta ask, I've checked the patch notes, but couldn't find anything. Are stone pick axes still a thing? Been a couple years.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

They are, but you need a crafting table. The recipe also includes a piece of string.
Priox

Post by Priox »

I'm curious about the first sustainable food source now. Is it best to go for a fishing pole now?

I'm having an extremely hard time finding any spawner rooms (e.g. Pumpkin Seed) due to the new caving mechanics.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

I'm still in the stone age myself but logically it seems to me the best and least dangerous way to sustainable food is hoe, hemp seeds, chickens
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Pumpkin seeds are definitely no longer the best choice as the first sustainable food given they are harder to get. But I still don't think you need to rush food, as hunting can sustain you for a very long time.

A fishing pole works too, but both it and purely using chickens are pretty slow and may not keep up with demand depending on how much hunger you burn in a day.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Priox

Post by Priox »

Pumpkin seeds are definitely no longer the best choice as the first sustainable food given they are harder to get. But I still don't think you need to rush food, as hunting can sustain you for a very long time.

A fishing pole works too, but both it and purely using chickens are pretty slow and may not keep up with demand depending on how much hunger you burn in a day.
I've definitely noticed that food seems to be pretty plentiful, but I usually play pretty slow paced. Example, I just got my first iron tool (hoe), and it's somewhere around day 20. Most of my time has been spent exploring, cutting trees, and killing animals. And my nights fighting spiders, and avoiding skeletons. Still no wicker, and no 2nd level caves found. I'm in the middle of a huge Taiga biome, and it's pretty slow paced to move around thru the snow, and small hills.

Hoping for a more sustainable food solution. I suppose if I spend the next week or so in game, I can create a decent chicken farm, but I'm sure I'll run out of seeds by then, and have to scour for another hoe/pick. Fishing has been pretty slow in the past, I can't imagine it's gotten better since then. I'm going to have to start hunting beef.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Priox wrote:
Hoping for a more sustainable food solution. I suppose if I spend the next week or so in game, I can create a decent chicken farm, but I'm sure I'll run out of seeds by then, and have to scour for another hoe/pick. Fishing has been pretty slow in the past, I can't imagine it's gotten better since then. I'm going to have to start hunting beef.
Are you planting the hemp seeds or just feeding them to chickens? You definitely want to plant many, if not all of them up front. hemp takes forever to grow.
Priox

Post by Priox »

Are you planting the hemp seeds or just feeding them to chickens?
Honestly, I haven't played much since getting the hoe. I've planted 4 hemp, and got 1 chicken fed in a makeshift coop. (harder to make a chicken hole now, with ladders requiring string. Clever change.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I am starting to feel really bad for dying or starving to death again and again before the end of the 2nd day. Is this normal or should I take this as some sort of sign that I am of inferior intellect?
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

A while ago I made a mini thread with a few early game tips. Perhaps give that a glance and see if there's something you're missing?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9515