Crafting recipe page not working?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Lord Touch Me

Crafting recipe page not working?

Post by Lord Touch Me »

Hello! I've noticed countless times that I can't access the crafting recipe page in the BTW wiki but have managed since I could just hover to the new items and look for its crafting recipe. I'm just curious if I should panic for not accessing the recipe page for lack of information or its been that way?
Thordan Ssoa

Re: Crafting recipe page not working?

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

The wiki is presently going under a pretty big overhaul, so hopefully things should be back to working as normal soonish.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Hrm, interesting. I'm getting HTTP500 codes out the wazoo there, but only when looking at the view page. Might be something to do with the insane level of Templates in use on the page (I can easily call up the history and edit pages) I'll see if I can poke Sarge to get some error logs off the server and maybe we can trace this down, otherwise it might just be an issue of a massive page (which I think gets generated every time?) just taking up too many resources and getting axed.. all hypothetical for now though.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Ok, ok ok ok. I think I've found it.

Basically right now the crafting recipe page looks something like this :

Code: Select all

=Soulforged Steel=
{{:Anvil}}
{{:Infernal Enchanter}}
{{:Lightning Rod}}
{{:Tuning Fork}}
{{:Refined Hoe}}
{{:Refined Pick}}
{{:Refined Shovel}}
{{:Mattock}}
{{:Refined Sword}}
{{:Battle Axe}}
{{:Broadhead Arrow}}
{{:Plate Armor}}
What are these strange symbols you may ask? Basically it's an embed function. So the {{:PageName}} is asking the wiki to embed that page (yes the entire thing) into the space which the embed call sits. Now there's a bit of a hitch, the wiki doesn't care. It will embed the entire page unless otherwise told to, which we can conveniently do with tags <onlyinclude></onlyinclude> somewhere in the body of the page which we wish to embed. Now, someone who worked on the wiki early on (fuckin genius) saw the potential for a trick, if we only include the crafting/obtaining section for embed links we can call on the crafting section and not have to worry about updating a recipe here and having any other pages have inconsistent information.

So why is this relevant? Well I'll be the one to say I screwed this up quite a bit. With the recent changes I've been making to the wiki I have been blatently bulldozing pages and adding in 'new' information. Which of course in the process of doing so, I saw the tags and removed them from several crafting areas. So now we have the situation where there are several of these embed calls which are now getting the entire page (and all of it's templates) which basically makes the wiki say Nope! and drops a 500 on the user.

So how do we fix this? For now, the crafting recipe page is down. simple as that. Each and every embed link in that page needs to be followed, the associated page needs to have the <onlyinclude> tags added to the Obtaining/Crafting section and only then can we hopefully have it work out. But even this is only a temporary solution as Wikimedia has limits on how many template calls may be made within a single page. So an alternative solution I'd say is to grab the CraftGuide Addon and use it if you are that desperate.

EDIT: I've taken the Crafting Recipes page 'offline' so we don't blast the server it's hosted on every time someone decides to try to check it out and ends up more confused than a dog with it's tail in it's mouth.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO