Nausea's too intense [SPOILERS]

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Foxy Boxes

Nausea's too intense [SPOILERS]

Post by Foxy Boxes »

This is technically a vanilla issue (I think Nausea's vanilla?), but because of reasons it's become a lot more noticeable.

I was merely progressing through the tech tree when something happened and I got the nausea debuff. I... lost a laptop. And my lunch.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Nausea's too intense

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok?
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I take it from the response my point wasn't very clear.
The nausea swirling goes beyond being an unfun debuff into an actually deliberating visual effect for me. I can't look at the swirling screen without become nauseous myself.

While normally I'd congratulate a game on such a level of immersion, I hope you can understand why I'd feel it a point worth mentioning in a negative light.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh no, I understood you fine. Maybe my response wasn't clear:

Why don't you just not subject yourself to the thing that is unpleasant? It's not supposed to encourage you to engage in that activity.

You're complaining about something you're doing to yourself. Stop doing it.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I haven't worked out every cause of it, which might be part of my problem, but I guess its my desire to not be spoiled conflicting with my inability to experiment for myself. I don't know what/how to avoid, I guess.

I also have to expose myself to it early game for...
Spoiler
Show
Grinding netherrack, when inserting the item
At least, without investing in an early game water feed system.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Adding spoilers to the title so we can talk openly about this.

I was talking about the grinding above.

I mean, I guess you have to expose yourself to it for a couple of seconds in order to feed your first piece of netherrack, but you can very quickly move out of the way before it becomes intense. The range on it isn't very large.

It's unfortunate that it made you ill, and I hope you're joking about the laptop, but as I said: the point of this was for it to be unpleasant. The sound alone was never enough to encourage people to spread out their facilities, as was the original intent, and it just resulted in a lot of gamey behavior with people turning down their sound. The more the visual effect is toned down, the less it will serve that design intent.
Foxy Boxes

Re: Nausea's too intense [SPOILERS]

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I understand. I guess I'm just overly sensitive to it (I also find the Quake FoV nauseating, for example). The moment I notice it I begin to get nauseous. The laptop's recovered now, so no problems there.

Just finished watching Vioki's latest stream, so I have some ideas now for remotely toggling the gearbox in storms, but before that a large issue was having to turn the gearbox off.

The more I think about it, the more it seems my conservative playstyle's to blame rather than the grinding itself. I try to use as little redstone as possible, including gearboxes, which is causing me to get too close to the mill.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Foxy Boxes wrote:The laptop's recovered now, so no problems there.
I'm glad to hear it man.

I certainly don't want to make people physically ill, but with any feature like this it's a bit of a demographic crap shoot. Almost anything out of the ordinary will negatively impact someone somewhere (hence all the flashing light warnings that have become common). I certainly empathize that in this case you wound up drawing the short stick on that.

If it's any consolation, when working on that feature I had to keep testing the effect over and over again while tweaking all the various parameters, and I can confirm that it's not at all pleasant after prolonged exposure :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

I think this would be a good thread to post in about the nausea effect for grinding netherrack. It appears to ignore the player's Y position. So you can be near the skybox and have netherrack grinding at bedrock and still get the effect so long as you're within the x,z area of effect. Not sure if intended behavior.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote:Not sure if intended behavior.
Yup, you're right. Will fix for next release.
bazilshep

Post by bazilshep »

There already is a warning built in on the title-screen.

I'm impressed how far out in advance FC apparently plans these features. I seem to recall this being in years ago...