Hardcore nothing to worry about question [Spoilers]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Hardcore nothing to worry about question [Spoilers]

Post by Mason11987 »

Okay, I could use some advice.
Spoiler
Show
The red is my nether portal
Light blue is where my wolves are (underground)
The purple is where I grind souls, and I bottle them just 5 blocks or so further off screen below the millstone in purple

All of my wolves got infected. I bought them in from the left of the screen just above the cocoa beans, and they haven't moved since.

Any ideas how this could happen? It took so long to drag those wolves back if I'm going to go find more I want it to be the last set.
Gunnerman21

Re: Hardcore nothing to worry about question [Spoilers]

Post by Gunnerman21 »

It looks like the portal is just on the edge of being too close if your wolves got infected but not the cows, though I don't know the exact number of blocks.

It could also be your bottling, with the changes to not worrying about this there could be issues with letting souls go free and not bottled. But that would probably infect the cows too so I'm not sure.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

I'm not entirely certain what the "safe" distance is for a nether portal, but out of an abundance of caution and / or paranoia, I keep my own portal beyond load distance.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

It looks like you might have just barely caught the edge of the range with the soul bottling. Remember that with wolves only one needs to be infected since they spread souls to other creatures.
MisterFister wrote:I'm not entirely certain what the "safe" distance is for a nether portal, but out of an abundance of caution and / or paranoia, I keep my own portal beyond load distance.
That's entirely unnecessary, I've found that more than about 32 blocks is fine. I usually go a little more than that to be safe but you don't have to go over the top with it.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a friendly reminder that there's still one remaining aspect of nothing to worry about that nobody has mentioned not coming across.

But this situation seems like it's not one where that should be fretted over.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

dawnraider wrote:
MisterFister wrote:I'm not entirely certain what the "safe" distance is for a nether portal, but out of an abundance of caution and / or paranoia, I keep my own portal beyond load distance.
That's entirely unnecessary, I've found that more than about 32 blocks is fine. I usually go a little more than that to be safe but you don't have to go over the top with it.
My decision to be as aggressive as I am stems from a desire to be as future-proof as possible with respect to main base expansion.

Though it occurs to me that I'm not sure if portal AoE contamination is cylindrical or spherical. In other words, would embedding a portal in a cloud-layer tower render immunity to wolves housed directly underneath at bedrock, for example?
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

MisterFister wrote:
dawnraider wrote:
My decision to be as aggressive as I am stems from a desire to be as future-proof as possible with respect to main base expansion.

Though it occurs to me that I'm not sure if portal AoE contamination is cylindrical or spherical. In other words, would embedding a portal in a cloud-layer tower render immunity to wolves housed directly underneath at bedrock, for example?
A picture FC posted before had his portal housed higher up, I'd guess for this reason.

But as I'm the one who made this thread, I obviously don't know enough to be sure about it.
ion

Post by ion »

FlowerChild wrote:Just a friendly reminder that there's still one remaining aspect of nothing to worry about that nobody has mentioned not coming across.

Spoiler
Show
is that about blood logs in overworld?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

ion wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Just a friendly reminder that there's still one remaining aspect of nothing to worry about that nobody has mentioned not coming across.

Spoiler
Show
is that about blood logs in overworld?

Already a spoiler thread, it could be blood logs being sawed, but it would have to be a pretty big range to reach from my saws to my wolves, but it could have jumped from my cows that got infected and I killed without realizing, I did get some sheep that were caught as well (and floated away).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:Already a spoiler thread, it could be blood logs being sawed, but it would have to be a pretty big range to reach from my saws to my wolves, but it could have jumped from my cows that got infected and I killed without realizing, I did get some sheep that were caught as well (and floated away).
Everything in that post most assuredly has absolutely nothing to do with what you've experienced, and it's all the very last things you should be concerned with.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Well, glad to hear we've narrowed down options, given that absolutely nothing to do with anything mentioned could possibly be connected.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote:Well, glad to hear we've narrowed down options, given that absolutely nothing to do with anything mentioned could possibly be connected.
Nabsolutely.