Better than Risk! (Diplomacy)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Triskelli

Better than Risk! (Diplomacy)

Post by Triskelli »

Well, after my participation in the Godhood thread and really getting into the mindset of a cold, charming manipulator of the fates of both men and gods alike, I was really disappointed to see the whole thing coming to a screeching halt. Still, I got a decent taste of how many people on the forum qualified as Magnificent Bastards and Clever Dicks.

So what better way to celebrate our collective villainy that by playing a healthy game of Diplomacy? "But Triskelli, you dashing rapscallion" I hear you ask, "How does one play this marvelous sounding game?". I'll let Bellmaker from Something Awful explain:
Rules Summary
Spoiler
Show
Objective:
The object of the game is to control 18 Supply Centers (territories marked with a circle, shaded by their controller). You do not have to have a unit in a supply center to control it. It belongs to the last person to occupy the territory.

Each turn covers half a year- Spring 1901, Fall 1901, Spring 1902, etc. On each turn, you will get time to discuss strategy, alliances, and double crosses. You will then submit orders for your troops. All orders will resolve simultaneously, resulting in some unexpected surprises for everyone involved.

There are two types of units- Armies(A) (marked with a tank) and Fleets(F) (marked with a ship). Only one unit of a given player may occupy a territory (no stacking). Each can only move one space a turn (unless a convoy occurs, see below).

A unit can be given one of four orders each turn:
-Hold
-Move
-Support
-Convoy (fleets only)

Hold:
If you do not give a unit an order, it is considered to be holding. It will defend to the best of its ability.

Move:
Armies can move between land spaces. For example,

Austria: A Vie-Tyr

means the army in Vienna(Vie) will try to move to Tyrolia(Tyr).

Fleets can move from coastal space to coastal space, ocean space to ocean space, or one to the other. The fleet currently in Brest at the start of the game can make any of the following moves:

F Bre-Mao, F Bre-Eng, F Bre-Pic, or F Bre-Gas. Note that France cannot do F Bre-Par as you cannot move a fleet to an inland space.

Moving into a contested/occupied space results in combat. Combat is a simple numbers game. Every unit is of equal strength. If a unit tries to move into an occupied space, it fails. If two units try to move into the same space, they both fail. If the following orders were given...

Germany: A Ber-Sil
Russia: A War-Sil
Austria: A Vie-Boh

...the German and Russian units hold position as it is a standoff (they have the same strength, so neither is allowed to conquer Silesia). There is no one stopping Austria's unit from moving into Bohemia, so that order succeeds. This is what the result would look like.

Support:
The key to combat is support. You can have an unit support a move action into a space that they could move that turn, giving the moving unit more "strength". In that same scenario, if the orders were like this...

Germany: A Ber-Sil
A Mun S A Ber-Sil

Russia : A War-Sil
Austria: A Vie-Boh

...the army in Berlin would move into Silesia, as it has the "strength" of two units with the support of the unit in Munich. The Russian army in Warsaw is forced to hold, and the Austrian move into Bohemia is unaffected.

A unit cannot support a moving unit if it is under attack from a country it isn't supporting an move towards. This is commonly referred to as "cutting support".

For example, if Italy had an army in Tyrolia and ordered A Tyr-Mun that turn, the unit in Munich could not support the unit moving into Silesia (it's preoccupied with the attacking unit). This would result in a standoff for control of Silesia, forcing the units in Berlin and Warsaw to hold.

A unit can also support a holding unit, giving it the "strength" of an extra defender. It would take three units (one attacking, two supporting) for the attacking country to overcome the defender in this case, and one more supporter for each additional "defender".

Your units can be supported by another Power's units with or without your consent. Sometimes your "friends" may give you a hand just to get you out of the way...

Convoy
An army can move more than one space via a convoy. In this example, Italy has a fleet in Tys.

Italy wants to set up a base in Africa this turn. He could write the following order...

Italy: A Rom-Tun
F Tys C Rom-Tun

...to move his army in Rome(Rom) to Tunisia(Tun) in one turn.

If Italy had a fleet in Wes as well, he could use this order...

Italy: A Rom-Spa
F Tys C Rom-Spa
F Wes C Rom-Spa

...to move his army from Rome to Spain in one turn. Another Great Power can help convoy your army, but make sure all the fleets involved give the correct orders. "Mistakes" have been known to happen...

Retreating:
All dislodged units must retreat one space simultaneously after all orders have been executed. They may not move into the space the attacker just left or into a space left empty because of a standoff. If they can't move, or if two retreating units move to the same space, they are disbanded (removed from play).

Reinforcements/Disbanding
Each Supply Center you control supports one of your units. After each Fall turn (every other turn), you will gain or lose units based on the number of Supply Centers you have. If you have more Centers than you did last Fall, you may place new units in your unoccupied home Supply Centers. If they are all occupied, you will have to wait until next Fall.

If you have less Centers than you did last Fall, you will have to remove units from the board until you have one for each Center you control.

Diplomacy
Diplomacy is the key to the game. You are only bound by your submitted orders each turn. You are not required to follow any other verbal or written agreements. Promises, lying, manipulation, and backstabbing are all fair game. However, they're also fair game to everyone else...

That's pretty much it! This should get you through about 95% of all movement and conflict resolution, barring more complicated chain reactions and stuff. You shouldn't have any problems following along at home :)

Ah, you're back! Don't worry if this seems like too much to digest all at once, I'll be more than happy to explain any part of the rules to anyone at any time. Once you're able to wrap your head around the rules it's rather intuitive. The complexity comes from the other players, not from the rules. Even with all my cunning I've only managed to win one game, and I've been betrayed, doublecrossed, and stabbed countless times. Then again, I've managed to achieve my own share of puppetry, swindling, and stabbing as well...

Hopefully we'll be able to generate enough drama to make this entire operation worthwhile. It takes a certain type of person to enjoy this kind of game... And I think the Better Than Wolves forum is exclusively populated by them! =]
Triskelli

Re: Better than Risk! (Diplomacy)

Post by Triskelli »

CURRENT MAP: 1900

HAPPENING NOW:

We need seven people to sign up to play the seven different countries. Also important is determining turn length and how we'll be communicating.

For those interested in signing up: Please just post below and include a list of the countries from favorite to least favorite. For example, T-G-I-A-F-E-R would be my preferred list. I'll use these lists to decide who plays as what country. Also! If 7 people respond before you are able to, don't be afraid to sign up! Real life happens, and people may have to drop out. It always helps to have a reserve of backup players so play can continue uninterrupted.

Turn Length: This is typically set to one turn every day or every two days. The important thing to remember is that we want to keep the turns short enough that we'll be able to finish the game in a reasonable amount of time, but we also give people enough time to negotiate with each other despite their individual schedules.

Communication: I see two options, either we communicate via e-mail or we communicate via PMs on the forum. I'd naturally root for conducting chat through the forum, but with a 50-message maximum it would be hard to maintain all your diplomatic dealings. E-mail avoids these problems, but some people might not be as comfortable about giving out a personal e-mail address.
Last edited by Triskelli on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I bought this game for like forty bucks and could never get 7 people together to play it.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I can't see any pictures :/
Actually, I've never been able to see any picture you posted Tris' :/
Any idea why ?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, the pictures in the spoiler are giving a 403 error (no permission to access it).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Necropolis wrote:I bought this game for like forty bucks and could never get 7 people together to play it.
Yeah, that's part of the problem with playing face-to-face: It's hard to get 7 people together to do anything, let alone play a board game.
Battosay wrote:I can't see any pictures :/
Actually, I've never been able to see any picture you posted Tris' :/
Any idea why ?
Hmm, that's odd. Try clicking this link:

http://lpix.org/images/Bellmaker/1b1638 ... 201900.png

Can you see the picture when you follow the link? I use a variety of sources for my images so it's probably not something like Photobucket or ImageShack acting up... I'll try and figure this out.

*EDIT*
Well, these images in particular are being taken from the Something Awful Forums, so maybe I've broken one of their rules by linking to them on another site?
Here's the thread in particular: link
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

France, England, Turkey, Russia, Italy, Germany, Austria

Edit: Oh, and tried that link you provided for the image, and got a Forbidden Access page.

Also, I'm up for using email, although I'd prefer to only give it to the people that are playing by PM.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

My top 7 favorite countries would be: England, Italy, France, Spain, Greece, Germany, and Austria
Now i cant say i will know all of the countries and there City names, let alone their abbreviations, but ill do my best
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I was always more of a Supremacy player (I <3 Nukes), but I've lost at least one friendship over Diplomacy back in the day :)
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

FlowerChild wrote:I was always more of a Supremacy player (I <3 Nukes), but I've lost at least one friendship over Diplomacy back in the day :)

The Hobby has that effect on people when it's played face to face. Heheh, if I could get you to sign on with this game, FC, I'd be more than happy to give you a few... perks.

But more pertinent, is anyone else having trouble viewing these images? I never knew that my images were broken.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Triskelli wrote:But more pertinent, is anyone else having trouble viewing these images? I never knew that my images were broken.
In the second post you made in this thread it just says "image" but there is no image ...
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

It seems that the only way to see the images is through the SA thread - here they just appear as if the link was broken, and if you follow their URL, it gives a 403. However, I just checked the images in the spoiler, and they're appearing fine now.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Devalish

Post by Devalish »

For me it just says "image" on the places where there needs to be an image.
Any post or reply from me is based on the knowledge and thought patterns relative to my mind; they are subjective.
I don't deal in absolutes as I believe in learning. My every action is a result of calculation and choice.
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

I'm guessing that finalized orders will be sent by email or PM to the GM so that there can't be any changes on the fly?

And still need 4 more players?
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

I know I have no posts whatsoever (I've been lurking on the forums and finally decided to make an account, partially due to the Godhood game, which looked like fun), but if you're willing to take the risk of having a complete nobody join in, I'd love to play.

If not, I understand.

If yes, my preferred countries are: Russia, England, Everything Else, France
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Caevin wrote:If yes, my preferred countries are: Russia, England, Everything Else, France
just for that, i think you will fit in quite nicely here
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Austria, Russia, France, England, Turkey, Italy, Germany.
would be my choice
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I love Risk, and this looks a bit simpler, so I'm in. My favorite countries are:
  • Japan,
  • Australia,
  • Bulgaria,
  • Canada,
  • Lichtenstein, and
  • Syberia.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Ohhh if we can choose our own countries then Australia would be my number one, followed by the ones i posted before -Germany
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Okay, we need just two more people to sign up.

Still haven't heard any opinions on turn length or messaging, though...
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

i wouldnt be against making a new email, just cause i dont want to give out my real email. PM's will work for me just fine as well.
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

Oh, I've got no problem with using email, if there is a cap to the number of PMs.
Haven't played before, but two days/turn sounds like enough time to work with.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Speltz wrote:but two days/turn sounds like enough time to work with.
sounds good to me as well
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

The two days for actions and talking over email works for me too.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I'm in for E-mail, as well, and I have a google and yahoo account
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!