The Feature Request / Suggestion Thread - LIMITED TIME ONLY

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: The Feature Request / Suggestion Thread - LIMITED TIME O

Post by FlowerChild »

jackatthekilns wrote:So I was just staring out of my base into a gloom night and a spider came into view. the eyes alone were visible for a few moments before the body. This was one of the most creepy and terrifying thing I've seen. I don't know how, but please find ways of adding in this kind of experience. We always say that in BTW everything is trying to kill you, Its times like these that it really feels like it.
Well, those kinds of ideas are usually the kind that occur organically, so not really something that can be produced on demand.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if anyone noticed yet that infused skulls have glowing eyes, so if you feel like scaring the crap out of yourself or other players, placing them here and there might be a good way to do it ;)
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

FlowerChild wrote: On the other hand, I'm not sure if anyone noticed yet that infused skulls have glowing eyes, so if you feel like scaring the crap out of yourself or other players, placing them here and there might be a good way to do it ;)

Sounds perfect! I haven't made it that far in my new world. Can't wait!
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

jackatthekilns wrote: .... a gloom night and a spider came into view. the eyes alone were visible for a few moments before the body.
I also want to say thunderstorms during gloom are wicked awesome. Seeing just a flash of the monsters at your walls. Chills down the spine.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I'm not quite sure this is what you're after; but I have always been a fan of the multiblock 'contraptions' for lack of a better word. The kiln is one of my favourite things in BTW, because of how many parts it has and how many different ways of setting it up there are. Single kiln, mass kiln, auto kiln and all have variations on how they can be built; plus they all need the bellows which involves another multiblock setup.

I realize this is vague and very large scope; but more of these types of systems please!

I'm also going to pass on a request from my local BTW group: could you please add or change how names show up? Limit it so that you can only see the names of people close to you and not behind walls.

His reasoning was that it would allow team based play; where you can identify someone based on name but can't see where they are. The floating box above players in nearby caves isn't fun.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jakerman999 wrote: I'm also going to pass on a request from my local BTW group: could you please add or change how names show up? Limit it so that you can only see the names of people close to you and not behind walls.
The existing option for either displaying the names or not is likely as far as I would want to go with that. What you're suggesting is theoretically possible, but not something I would likely want to explore on "bang for the buck" grounds.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jakerman999 wrote: I'm also going to pass on a request from my local BTW group: could you please add or change how names show up? Limit it so that you can only see the names of people close to you and not behind walls.
Nevermind what I said above. I took a quick look to verify how the names work, and it's a lot simpler than I had assumed to do this. Will put it in for the next release.
Destinu

Post by Destinu »

I've been following the thread, and many of the things I've been wanting have been said, though I waited to see if anyone would suggest something like seasons. Although I have already heard that there is something like this somewhere in other mods, I never got to play or follow, so I was kind of hesitant to suggest, but in my interpretation, seasons, or even plantations growing only in specific biomes would be something that I would really like to see, and that matches the feeling I have playing BTW, not to mention that it would increase some tens of hours of gameplay, at least for me. Without prolonging, that's it.

P.S sorry for those that already suggest the biome/plantantions thing and i don't quote you.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Destinu wrote:I've been following the thread, and many of the things I've been wanting have been said, though I waited to see if anyone would suggest something like seasons. Although I have already heard that there is something like this somewhere in other mods, I never got to play or follow, so I was kind of hesitant to suggest, but in my interpretation, seasons, or even plantations growing only in specific biomes would be something that I would really like to see, and that matches the feeling I have playing BTW, not to mention that it would increase some tens of hours of gameplay, at least for me. Without prolonging, that's it.

P.S sorry for those that already suggest the biome/plantantions thing and i don't quote you.

What I like about the plants growing in different biomes (either growing better or at all) is that it gives you a reason to have multiple bases spread out. This is what I would like to see, regardless of how its implemented. I like the idea of having some needed/wanted resource that is best acquired from a satellite base in a desert or, heaven help me, a jungle. Maybe there is a better way to encourage this kind of base-building than crops, but I like the idea wither way.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Not to put words on FC's mouth, but seems to me that seasons would be a huge undertaking.

I do however love the idea of different plants growing on different biomes. As I tend to concentrate all my builds in a single place, that would give me a big incentive to spread out.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

I like the general idea behind biome-specific growth, but for reasons apparently not mentioned:
Spoiler
Show
Needing to generate resources that are hard-tied to specific biomes would in theory incentivize multi-base living, but at some point, it then creates a need to leave those bases loaded into memory. Within my own SSP experience, this invariably leads to cheaty periods of afk, which is already an issue for me with nether resources. The benefit of being able to centralize production in a central location is that time spent developing a second resource is time allowing the first resource to develop and mature. Time spent designing your mechanical workshop room is time spent with crops growing, time spent harvesting and tilling your crops is time spent with the workshop chugging away and producing more product.

If a resource were to become hard-tied or soft-tied to biomes, I would interpret that as my own incentive to explore more thoroughly so as to plop my primary hub facility at a biome boundary junction, where I could then cross-produce all in one loaded-chunk location.
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned an idea for some sort of talisman or statue that would allow a player to intentionally cause a remote set of chunks to remain loaded in memory, which would make biome-tying of resources a lot more manageable. It would also at the same time allow for cross-plane chunk loading to take place for nether farms and end farms.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

While I would honestly love that, it could very easily cause performance issues if you have too many chunks loaded at once.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Psion

Post by Psion »

dawnraider wrote:While I would honestly love that, it could very easily cause performance issues if you have too many chunks loaded at once.
so basically, it would take 1/4 as much RAM as a typical FTB modpack instead of 1/20? :P
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

More to the point, high traffic SMP servers can have players independently loading chunks in any number of locations. The performance hits that I notice in those scenarios are when rendering chunks for the first time, such as after someone dies or establishes a new portal.

I think that in the remote likelihood that FC ran with a chunk-loading-talisman idea that he's quite reliable to make it quite expensive in in-game terms, and that it's not even absurd to suggest that maybe it would be globally limited to a certain number of them active at any given time. Perhaps even with deleterious effects (we've seen blight).
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I have always thought that it would be interesting for tall grass to make nearby crops grow more slowly, acting as a kind of weed. This would make fields need some maintenance, especially if you make it so that all crops need sunlight.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jackatthekilns wrote:I have always thought that it would be interesting for tall grass to make nearby crops grow more slowly, acting as a kind of weed. This would make fields need some maintenance, especially if you make it so that all crops need sunlight.
That's not bad. Tall grass already acts as a bit of a weed in that it'll infest your tilled fields if you don't have anything growing in them, but perhaps I should explore that concept further.

Will certainly think on it.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

A few little things that I just remembered;

1. Back-porting the later versions of minecraft's item frames not breaking completely if you left-click on them with an item already inserted in them. This akes item frames into a really great way to easily store a single item in a highly convenient and accessible way.

2. Allowing barrels to be used as a no-gui inventory, which operate on a falling-stack-based inventory system. Basically, you put stuff in the top side of the block, and it will place the thing in the lowest slot available, as if it 'fell' through every inventory slot until it landed on something. Right clicking on the top or bottom with an empty hand, or shift-right clicking with anything but a block, will cause it to remove either the top-most or the bottom-most item, depending on which side you clicked on. Could also make these barrels be able to store more then a chest, though the fact that you could put them next to chests in a storage room would probably be enough of a benefit that that would be unnecessary.

EDIT: 3. Maybe change the way cave spiders spawn, so that they spawn in cobwebs under y-60 that aren't receiving any sunlight? Maybe also either have a very significant increase to spawn rates within mineshafts, or making them only spawn in mineshaft chunks? This could make them a more interesting mob to farm, as well as making them a significantly more present threat in caves, especially mineshafts.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abculatter_2 wrote: 1. Back-porting the later versions of minecraft's item frames not breaking completely if you left-click on them with an item already inserted in them. This akes item frames into a really great way to easily store a single item in a highly convenient and accessible way.
Interesting. I'll take a look.
2. Allowing barrels to be used as a no-gui inventory
Not sure I understand what purpose this is supposed to serve. Sounds almost like a cheap non-filtered Hopper alternative. Is there something here that you had in mind that I didn't catch?
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Not sure I understand what purpose this is supposed to serve. Sounds almost like a cheap non-filtered Hopper alternative. Is there something here that you had in mind that I didn't catch?
The intent is to provide a convenient no-gui alternative to the chest, that requires only a single click to get stuff out of but at the cost of not being able to directly choose what you get out of it.

btw, I specifically did not suggest allowing items to fall through multiple barrels, for exactly the reason you describe. As intuitive as it would be for such a suggestion, it's just not balanced nor more interesting.
warmist

Post by warmist »

Ctrl-click on furnaces and co like in factorio to get items out of them quicker would be nice QOL improvement
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I can hold down the right mouse button to plant seeds like wheat and cocoa beans but not for carrots or potatoes.
Some consistency in the ability to spam plant without repetitive clicking would be nice.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:
He's basically looking for something like the many barrel mods that have been added to vanilla. Here's one https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/m ... her-better
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Sarudak wrote: He's basically looking for something like the many barrel mods that have been added to vanilla. Here's one https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/m ... her-better
Not exactly, no. Barrel mods are generally 'balanced' around only being able to place one item type into an inventory larger then a normal chest (often considerably so) while my suggestion is more of a different style of chest that is designed to work without a GUI.

Some practical examples of how my specific implementation differs;

You could, for example, fill a barrel with arrows, remove the top stack, then put a bow in the barrel for easily getting out a bow plus arrows (simply shift-right click twice and they'll both come out) Or you could put your 'combat' armor into a barrel, with nothing else in it, and thus be able to remove it all with just four shift right clicks.
There's also various other situations where you know you'll want an associated set of items together, and could set up a barrel to make acquiring them later more convenient then a chest, such as stakes + string, or a pattern of potions. (regen + strength, for example)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abculatter_2 wrote:Not exactly, no.
On barrels: I don't know man. Maybe I'm still missing something, but this feels a lot like a "give barrels a purpose" idea, rather than filling a specific in game need.
SterlingRed wrote:I can hold down the right mouse button to plant seeds like wheat and cocoa beans but not for carrots or potatoes.
Some consistency in the ability to spam plant without repetitive clicking would be nice.
I'll take a look. Might just be a slight code difference between seeds and seed/foods. I think that stuff might still be vanilla.
warmist wrote:Ctrl-click on furnaces and co like in factorio to get items out of them quicker would be nice QOL improvement
I'm not super keen on adding additional controls to in-game, as I think minimizing number of controls seemed to be a central design theme of Notch's vision of MC (at times even to a fault, which I suspect was responsible for the double-tap travesty of sprinting). You'll notice that keyboard shortcuts like shift, ctrl, and the like are currently restricted to GUI use.

Let me think about it though. There might be an alternative means of implementing this kind of functionality that would be more in keeping with MC's design.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

FlowerChild wrote:
abculatter_2 wrote:Not exactly, no.
On barrels: I don't know man. Maybe I'm still missing something, but this feels a lot like a "give barrels a purpose" idea, rather than filling a specific in game need.
tbh, it's mostly just intended as a convenience feature, similar to the item frames suggestion I put on the same post. Based on my experience with modded Minecraft outside of BTW, it's actually really surprising just how different- and more convenient- it feels to use machines and storage solutions that do not require going through a gui to use. It just feels... right, in my opinion.
Also, attaching such a thing to barrels would also add, in my opinion, a little bit of an interesting progression to storage in the mod, as it can sometimes take the player awhile to get the stoked cauldron and excess leather necessary to make barrels. It'd also make leather be something that has more of a use in improving your storage areas, which feels like an appropriate use to me. It's not in and of itself a good reason to add the feature, of course, but it is basically my logic for using barrels for it.
Norton

Post by Norton »

A way to quiet chest hinges (e.g. rubbing tallow on them). Ideally in-world to avoid emptying and refilling chests, maybe temporary.

Thinking about the barrel discussion:
Spoiler
Show
Item frames for quick manual access to attached/adjacent chests (e.g. the common warehouse with an item frame beside each double chest). Say: left-click on an item frame removes a matching item from the chest or the frame's item; left-hold breaks the frame; right-click inserts into the frame or a matching item into chest. Useful-but-additional controls: shift-* for a stack and right-hold for all matching stacks in your inventory.

The place I've found other-mod barrels most useful is for bulk dumping of single item types (so much cobble), particularly if they have quick access either for free of via an item-frame-like attachment (single-click ingredients for crafting within reach of my workbench). Maybe "crate" to avoid the implication of an open top (and LIFO). Limit to a single type of 64-stack-size blocks. Could fill a crate with a hopper, but you'd need to filter in the hopper to avoid jamming.