Diamonds

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
AddyBaha

Diamonds

Post by AddyBaha »

I started a new world and am now at the point where I need to find Diamonds the first few caves I explored left me empty handed. It seems like I can't find any new cave near my base leading to strat III (I dug tunnels right on the border between II and III).

While I understand the desicion to make diamonds hard to get, it gets quite annoying after searching the n'th (I stopped counnting after 10) cave and still not having found one single surface diamond. On the other hand this is the first seed I'm am having such struggles finding the blue shinies...

Any suggestions as to how I could finally get my hands on them would be apprichiated.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
DesLien

Re: Diamonds

Post by DesLien »

As a first note, this is probably better just in the discussion thread.

Diamonds are one of my bane of existences, as well. But then I learned about desert temples. Before boat changes I used to go straight out past HCS territory to find goodies as soon as I get the materials for a compass. Now it may not be as lucrative as before, but I found if your caves aren't coughing up diamonds another option is searching for desert temples to loot (food gathering as a side bonus). Generally you find iron, gold, and diamonds in them so no matter what you'll be gaining valuable materials.
"Out come all his roughness, all his dulness, all his incapability;
shame upon shame, failure upon failure, pause after pause: but out comes the whole majesty of him also..." -John Ruskin
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DesLien wrote:Before boat changes I used to go straight out past HCS territory to find goodies as soon as I get the materials for a compass.
It's in spoiler territory, but there's other reasons you probably wouldn't want to do that kind of thing anymore either. The value of early exploration went down significantly in the last few releases.
DesLien

Post by DesLien »

FlowerChild wrote:It's in spoiler territory, but there's other reasons you probably wouldn't want to do that kind of thing anymore either.
It's one of those risk versus rewards things. I've definitely been in the spot where world generation hasn't gone my way, so looking at it objectively exploring for desert temples has certainly been worth it, but I also have been playing since this mod was forge compatible. So with everything better than wolves just always be careful, AddyBaha. I just wanted to throw that option out there if you truly feel ftrustrated and need a change of pace, but really it's what you feel comfortable doing.
"Out come all his roughness, all his dulness, all his incapability;
shame upon shame, failure upon failure, pause after pause: but out comes the whole majesty of him also..." -John Ruskin
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DesLien wrote:It's one of those risk versus rewards things.
Sure, but unless you are intimately familiar with the latest releases and everything in them, I just wanted to caution that in so doing, there are new risks present that you may not be aware of that would shift that equation even further than what you are used to.

Hence my mention of potential spoilers. I don't want to give anything away here, but I think you may not be aware of all the ramifications of the advice you're giving.