Five Years Worth of BTW Creations

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The_dfg1

Five Years Worth of BTW Creations

Post by The_dfg1 »

I've been playing this mod pretty much exclusively without playing any other Minecraft mods for the previous five years without really saying anything. Over those years, I spent 99% of my time playing on only two survival worlds. They got pretty big for one person, so here's a bunch of screenshots.

First, my older world, which I played from 2013 to early 2016. I started the world on some version of BTW that worked on version 1.8.1 beta, and stopped updating it by the time it was compatible with version 1.2.5. So keep in mind that this world was played before most of the challenging updates.

The oldest screenshot I have is a good starting point:
Spoiler
Show
The builds start out looking a bit crappy, but to be fair, I was about 15 at the time. They certainly improve by the end of this post. It was at this point was when I started bothering to take screenshots because I was getting to the point of building things so big that I needed proof that I was doing it all in survival. There are a lot of screenshots here, so I spoilered an example image of each build with imgur links to much more detailed sets with some explanations in the descriptions.

Teaser image for the first build, which is also the image above: A huge cube surrounding my original home, so big that it easily contained multiple buildings that were previously outside.
Spoiler
Show
More of this: https://imgur.com/a/zP1Oo

The second build: My "Old" Vault
Spoiler
Show
More: https://imgur.com/a/dtz1U

Third build: Just a fancy wooden tower with no practical use. It was pretty though.
Spoiler
Show
Fourth build: The Colisseum
Spoiler
Show
More: https://imgur.com/a/WpTfn

Fifth and final build in the older world: A massive tower with no practical use literally built just to display the wealth gathered in this world.
Spoiler
Show
More: https://imgur.com/a/JCJaI

After building all of the above, a friend notified me that BTW had changed - A lot. Apparently it's difficult now. So I started a new world with all the hardcore stuff, got to SFS eventually, and got back to building.

The base I stayed at until SFS:
Spoiler
Show
And what it became in the deep lategame, months after SFS, after being stripped of resources and completely neglected:
Skeleton of a Home
Show
And finally, the grand finale of structures: the "New" Vault. After getting SFS, I decided to make a massive organized underground complex with as many high tech factories as possible, and it's about 95% complete today.
Spoiler
Show
More: https://imgur.com/a/hMwMa
There's a lot left out of this set still, but I didn't want to post any more screenshots than I already am. The rest of it looks pretty much like you'd expect.

Since the new vault is so big, here's a separate imgur album just for the distant (but connected) sectors of the vault.
Spoiler
Show
https://imgur.com/a/jJhXi
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Five Years Worth of BTW Creations

Post by FlowerChild »

That's awesome man! Thanks for taking the time to share those with us, and glad you've found so much enjoyment in the mod :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

This stuff is blowing my mind :)

If you're out and about in your world, I would love to see some screenshot from some of the mechanical contraptions and automations.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I love the way you do lighting. It makes the default textures look really good that way.
The_dfg1

Post by The_dfg1 »

Gilberreke wrote:I would love to see some screenshot from some of the mechanical contraptions and automations.
I'll post some later. I would now, but I dig out rough cavities underground to put all my machinery. I need to hollow them out in a separate creative copy world before I can screenshot them properly.
SterlingRed wrote:I love the way you do lighting.
What do you mean? The lights in the floors?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Wow! I really love the wood tower and path.

You can tell by your shots the builds were a labor of love. Lived in and organic.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

The_dfg1 wrote: What do you mean? The lights in the floors?

Yeah lighting in the floors and light projected through the ceiling. I always think of lighting as an afterthought and spam torches everywhere rather than making it part of the building. Neat stuff!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

This really does look awesome...

Hey, how did you do that red lighting?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Thats some serious dedication you've got to build on such a giant scale. Very impressive work.

Thank you for sharing!
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

jorgebonafe wrote: Hey, how did you do that red lighting?
That's the night vision effect from the glowstone beacon he mentions.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ah, ok. I never got to build one before. Ominous... I like it.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
The_dfg1

Post by The_dfg1 »

Gilberreke wrote:I would love to see some screenshot from some of the mechanical contraptions and automations.
This is what you'll find between the walls on the ground floor of that massive throne tower in my first post. On the right is all the elevator machinery to make the inside gate work. On the left is a XOR gate coming from two detector blocks with lenses pointed at them. This makes it so that when you step on the elevator, the signal is sent for it to rise, but when the elevator blocks the lenses without a player on it, it blocks both lenses, and therefore doesn't trip the XOR signal to rise again.
Spoiler
Show
All the pistons on top of my colisseum that block and unblock sunlight in the arena, all toggleable with one single lever below.
Spoiler
Show
My vault's standard mob trap item filtering system with water and many walls removed. This causes me to only receive arcane scrolls, mob heads, iron tools/armor, and unfortunately, bat wings. It's mostly rather standard, just filtered hoppers and a bellows, but there is one thing I thought up myself that was useful: I used a stoked cauldron on a timer to melt unfilterable bows into sticks and string, then filter the sticks and string away from the iron stuff.
Spoiler
Show
I left out my automatic kiln and automatic pottery since they're pretty much standard builds for anyone who ever plans on making a lot of steel, but this next build I thought was impossible until only a year ago: an automatic soul bottler. It takes multiples of 8 ground netherrack in one input, fired urns in another, and automatically outputs 8 hellfire dust and a soul urn every 45 seconds or so. I've personally never heard of anyone else doing this, but once I invented it my steel production skyrocketted until I ran out of iron. These pics are of the test build I made first in creative mode because it's easier to see, but it is also installed in my vault in survival mode.
Spoiler
Show
Also in my creative mode test world, the endless contraptions laying around what I call my "electronics scrapyard" are pretty neat.
Many years ago, after experimenting with both logic gates and common sense redstone logic, I invented the first fundamental thing for big redstone creations: A binary counter.
Spoiler
Show
Creative mode redstone technology exploded after I had figured this one thing out. After combining this idea with a daylight sensor and lens detection, I made this: A display that identifies the current moon phase. The full wiring is big and primitive, but pretty neat.
Spoiler
Show
The calendar/clock is a pretty cliche thing to make with complete redstone freedom, so I made a theoretically perfect one. It counts time using the smallest non-decimal unit of game time possible: 15 in-game minutes (assuming a 24 hour day), which is about 12 seconds irl. The time-keeper is a simple repeater loop, but with a very precise delay: 32 maximum delay repeaters except one which is set to minimum delay. Every 7.5 minutes in game, a signal is sent to a block of memory with about 16 bits telling it to add one to the value. Every 8 signals sent, (7.5*8=60 minutes) it sends a pulse to the hour counter. Every 24 hour signals send a signal to the days counter. Every 8 signals sent from the days counter (one full moon phase cycle) sends a signal to add one to the complete moon cycles counter. This counter is the final step: It takes no more than 15 minutes to add another bit to its memory, which doubles the amount of countable years before the value overflows back to zero. One could very very easily build this clock as it counts, meaning there really is no pracitical limit to its memory. Within a day it could be built to count for irl years.

On the left is the memory, the middle is the display, and on the right is a thing that converts every hour of the day into 24 unique signals, meant to shine towards a converter to make a clock display which was never built.
Spoiler
Show
A primitive display converter, same as mentioned above. It can only display seven segment numbers like you'd see on an old wristwatch or digital clock. Also featured at the bottom is the only possible piston spiral formation one can build that only has 10 unique looping states - perfect for comfortable base 10 counting. The "only possible formation" is a 32 block square with 2 of the corners removed and 3 evenly spaced solid blocks amongst the glass. (or vice versa)
Spoiler
Show
A modern HD display conventer, which is much more compact, and can display any pixels independently, no matter how close together they are.
Spoiler
Show
As much of the electronics scrapyard as I can fit into one image:
Spoiler
Show
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

That's a nice Soul Bottler. for mine I went for a more compact, waterless design.
Spoiler
Show
https://imgur.com/a/nz59j

Pretty straightforward. Ground netherrack goes to the normal dispenser on top, urns go to the block dispenser on the right and output is in a couple of hoppers at the bottom witch the trapdoors provide access to.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Thanks for the redstone builds :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx