New world, having problems, need advice!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Danyo

New world, having problems, need advice!

Post by Danyo »

So, I started playing on a new world. I was intend on just playing through and eventually reaching the BTW items again, but I've hit a problem. When I started planning on getting mechanical energy going, I decided to start looking for slimes, wich at till now has been very unsuccesful. Now, I thought this wouldn't be to much of a problem, because I thought I'll make a windmill, then I realised you need a saw to get the windmill, so that wasn't an option anymore. So then I thought, oké, I'll make glue completely by hand cranking my way and powering a bellow ( wich required scoured leather amongst other things, wich is also hand cranking labor ), but then I realised, the bellow also needed a saw to make it.

So I guess the bottom line question is: What do I do if I can't find slimes? I've got a mine going at layer 12, and it's 8 wide and 2 high, wich is usually enough for slimes to spawn ( in my other worlds at least -.-' ), but this time I'm just not finding them. Is it intended there is no other way then to find slimes to get mechanical power?

Anyway, I'll go back to looking for slimes, this isn't really meant as a rant at all, just thought someone might have some advice for either the slimes or a way around them.

ps.: I am using one other mod then btw, wich is Mystic ruins and ores, but they don't change anything to mobs, so I doubt that could be it :P
Stormweaver

Re: New world, having problems, need advice!

Post by Stormweaver »

you can power a saw with a hand crank; slimes as a subsistute for glue is more of a shortcut than a necessity.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

With a handcrank, you scour some leather. With some dung, you tan it and make a saw. You use a handcrank on that and also tan some more leather to make the bellows. From there you're just a few leather/feathers/bones away from glue.
Danyo

Post by Danyo »

And I totally feel stupid now... :D

I didn't realise the saw could be powered by the hand crank aswell :P
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

You could use this http://mcslimes.appspot.com/index.jsp to find slime friendly chunks.
Danyo

Post by Danyo »

That's pretty cool, but I prefer to not use tools like that :) Anyway, I managed to crank my way to a waterweel now, so it's only a matter of time now that I'll start getting a good supply of BTW neccesities!
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I found the same Problem and the saw being hand powered helped a lot . But i made a windmill first cos i had started a large hemp farm at the start of the game and making a mill stone is cheep in resources ( this means you only need one Dog dodo to make one strap for the belt drive in a saw instead of making lots of Processed leather for the bellows that is kinda reliant on random wolves exploding ) but for a patient person you can make a water wheel first and then a turntable and you have you're very own glue production system.
I to am playing a legitimate world and have not hacked in anything and I'm not planing on doing so anytime soon .It is kinda odd to think, I will build a huge Tower and then ... ow S#!@ i need THAT MUCH COBBLE 0_0 .

Good luck with you're game there.

Big Shiny Toys
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I searched a lot about this and this is the only thread related to this problem I have found. I'm having the same problem... But I can't seem to be able to power the saw at all...

I posted a video to show what I tried. Am I doing something wrong? The crank worked just fine with the mill stone...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z8C22kPZb0Y

I tried the crank on all sides and on the bottom too...
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The Saw requires continuous mechanical power to operate, so it can not be powered by a hand crank.

You need to setup a wind mill first, and I adjusted the recipe for that in a recent release so it no longer requires moulding to build (you can just use regular wood blocks on the sails).
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

That was fast :P

I didn't realize that. Thanks a lot
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
fullsailor

Post by fullsailor »

Yeah, the wind mill is the way to go. It takes a ton of hemp though.

4 sails * 6 fabric per sail * 9 hemp fibers per fabric / 4 hemp fibers per hemp is 54 hemp plants
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I took me quite a long time to go from the two hemp seeds I found to having enough for a windmill, yeah. Lots and lots of hand grinding too even if you set up two millstones so you can alternate cranks. Also, if you can't find the lapis for a detector block, you can build your initial mill right in the nether where you never have to worry about your sail breaking if you enclose it in a cobblestone room. Mine takes up the far wall of a facility I built in the nether that includes a saw, four millstones, a turntable and two bellows. So far I've not found a need to move the industrial processes back to the surface.
Better is the enemy of Good
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

Danyo wrote:... because I thought I'll make a windmill, then I realised you need a saw to get the windmill, ...
well, you don't need one saw to make a windmill, only to the alternative recipe...you can make a windmill using wood planks
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

maxsi wrote:
Danyo wrote:... because I thought I'll make a windmill, then I realised you need a saw to get the windmill, ...
well, you don't need one saw to make a windmill, only to the alternative recipe...you can make a windmill using wood planks
At the time that post was made, you did need a saw to make a windmill...
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

The problem with using an old thread-- some people can't be bothered to read and realize they're replying to a months-old post.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Indeed.
I'll lock it then, so it won't happen again ;)