D&D style games

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
HappyDyas

D&D style games

Post by HappyDyas »

Last night I played the "Munchkin" card game. It simulates dungeon crawling, exploring and loot. I enjoyed the game but now I have an itch for D&D style games. A couple years ago some friends and I played D&D and I really enjoyed it. I had. Rat folk plague Doctor and had a lot of fun.

My issue now is that I don't have the people to play live D&D and want to find a game but have yet to do so. Everything I find online is more of a torchlight style dungeon crawler. I saw an interesting take on the an inline game where the DM built the traps and monsters as the players progressed through he dungeon but other than that nothing has spiked my interest.

Anyone here have some experience with satisfying D&D style games that can maybe be bought and played online?

Or other comments regarding nostalgia for the game style? :)
Gilberreke

Re: D&D style games

Post by Gilberreke »

It's really hard to find D&D style games. The only really good one that I know of was The Temple of Elemental Evil. It was bugridden though, but I seem to recall a fanmade mod that fixes a lot of it.

Weirdly enough, for all the (imo incorrect) whining that 4th Edition plays like a video game, there have been no 4E games.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

There's stuff like Roll20 and Tabletop Simulator that allow you to play that kind of stuff online - Roll20 is basically designed around dice-based RPGs with the rolls being handled through chat commands and macros to make it simpler, and Tabletop Simulator is a much more physics-based environment, where rolling dice is done by grabbing them with your mouse and tossing them around the table (or by pushing 'R' if you're boring).

That being said, I've occasionally looked for a Pathfinder group to play with, although I've yet to find a group that works out for me.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Katalliaan wrote:There's stuff like Roll20 and Tabletop Simulator that allow you to play that kind of stuff online - Roll20 is basically designed around dice-based RPGs with the rolls being handled through chat commands and macros to make it simpler, and Tabletop Simulator is a much more physics-based environment, where rolling dice is done by grabbing them with your mouse and tossing them around the table (or by pushing 'R' if you're boring).

That being said, I've occasionally looked for a Pathfinder group to play with, although I've yet to find a group that works out for me.
I think he's talking about a video game, not a way to play D&D online, at least, that's what I gathered.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Katalliaan wrote:There's stuff like Roll20 and Tabletop Simulator that allow you to play that kind of stuff online - Roll20 is basically designed around dice-based RPGs with the rolls being handled through chat commands and macros to make it simpler, and Tabletop Simulator is a much more physics-based environment, where rolling dice is done by grabbing them with your mouse and tossing them around the table (or by pushing 'R' if you're boring).

A little off topic, but just as a side note I would highly recommend Tabletop Simulator just for tabletop games in general, as it has basically everything in existence due to its scripting system, and the entire thing is extremely well done.

Back on topic, I personally don't have any experience on this, but I asked some of my friends who are into D&D and they said Knights of the Chalice is pretty good.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Last night I played the "Munchkin" card game. It simulates dungeon crawling, exploring and loot. I enjoyed the game but now I have an itch for D&D style games. A couple years ago some friends and I played D&D and I really enjoyed it. I had. Rat folk plague Doctor and had a lot of fun.

My issue now is that I don't have the people to play live D&D and want to find a game but have yet to do so. Everything I find online is more of a torchlight style dungeon crawler. I saw an interesting take on the an inline game where the DM built the traps and monsters as the players progressed through he dungeon but other than that nothing has spiked my interest.

Anyone here have some experience with satisfying D&D style games that can maybe be bought and played online?

Or other comments regarding nostalgia for the game style? :)
If you just want to play D&D with people, Roll20 is very good and you can look on the forums for groups looking for players. It is a very good community and the software is awesome and free (for players, anyway). It also lets you expand your potential ability to play with friends far away. most of the people I play with are out of town. If you really want to play D&D, or any other RPG for tha matter, I would start with Roll20

There are actually quite a few video games (depending on what edition you want, but if Munchkin is your reference it may not matter) There is a tone of abandonware games dfrom SSI, very old school, but fun. In addition to elemental Evil, there is Baldur's gate I/II and IceWind Dale. There is also Neverwinter Nights 1/2. For Online there is Dungeons and Dragons online and Neverwinter(4th Edition) the most recent 5th edition based game is called Sword Coast Legends

For Board Games: There is Lords of Waterdeep (not really an RPG but based on D&D), Blades in the Dark, Deluxe Tunnels and Trolls, Fall of Magic, Fantasy Age, and Hero Quest. There are a good deal more. You have lots of options, it just depends on what you are looking for.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Gilberreke wrote:Weirdly enough, for all the (imo incorrect) whining that 4th Edition plays like a video game, there have been no 4E games.
Not entirely accurate. The current MMORPG Neverwinter is based off of 4e, your basic attacks are based on 4e's at-wills, the quick-recharge abilities off encounter powers, and your 5 minute recharge ability off a daily power. I found it to be too linear for me, as even the more freeform parts of the game in the cities still felt way linear and instanced.

That said, 4e was my first edition of D&D and I liked it for what it was, the herald of regular formatting and attempts to balance D&D as a game itself. Its biggest weakness was that it was basically a designer's playground and was never really filled out properly, instead acting as a test bed for many unfinished ideas.

As for the original post, I've heard good things about Baldur's Gate, but I've yet to find time to play it given my current course schedule.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

kazerima wrote:Not entirely accurate. The current MMORPG Neverwinter is based off of 4e, your basic attacks are based on 4e's at-wills, the quick-recharge abilities off encounter powers, and your 5 minute recharge ability off a daily power. I found it to be too linear for me, as even the more freeform parts of the game in the cities still felt way linear and instanced.
MMORPGs are not video games for me, it's a different category I find. One that I don't play either. I haven't played Ultima Online, Everquest, WoW or anything that came after it. I know I'm not the only one in that boat.

As for D&D 4E itself, I agree. The attempt to standardize combat more and strive for balance is something I love about it. I also think that D&D 4E is waaaay better for the roleplayers than 3.5. It just fell flat in that they went too far to balance it and took out too many quirks and everything felt the same after a while.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

If Munchkin is the reference point, it sounds like anything RPG related is what the OP is looking for. MMORPGs seem like a good solution for them since playing with others was one of the things mentioned. So, WoW and everquest would also fit in that category. If the roleplaying aspect of RPGs is something that you value, I recommend giving 5e a shot (table top not Sword Coast legends). Demphasizing combat and encouraging story-telling and roleplaying was a major design goal.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jackatthekilns wrote:If the roleplaying aspect of RPGs is something that you value, I recommend giving 5e a shot (table top not Sword Coast legends). Demphasizing combat and encouraging story-telling and roleplaying was a major design goal.
You mean versus 4E? Because the RP aspect of 4E is identical to 5E, no? I thought that everyone was so happy with the roleplaying in 4E being better than 3.5, that they mostly stuck with that?

I do agree that storytelling in 4E was a little weak, but the RPing in 4E was on-spot for me.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I think you and I are starting a separate question. I'll send you a PM. I love nerding out on stuff like this.
HappyDyas

Post by HappyDyas »

Thanks for the discussions guys. A lot of you brought up game titles I haven't heard of before so ill definitely be checking those out. And as for the game "category" if you will, i do enjoy RPG games, and cant really get into MMORPG, especially because they can be very expensive. I can't say that there was any one specific genre of game to be looking for.

As for the Roll20 and tabletop simulator, ive used roll20 before with the group of friends that i used to play with. It wasnt a bad experience, the issue was that the group flaked out often and campaigns died before they even started... which might be taken care of if i can look through that forum jackatthekilns mentioned. The biggest issue (by the inherent nature of a video game) is the lack of imagination or flexibility that comes by playing a video game versus playing with real people where its up to the DM's discretion.

Overall i just enjoyed the experience that i had and want to find something like it again.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Roll20 is flexible enough to play Munchkin if you took the time to create the deck. I think finding a group that is stable is a good goal. it's always hard to hold a group together. My group has stuck together for almost 2 years, primarily because we are all so busy that no one wants to quit if we don't play for a month.

All the luck to you!
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Gilberreke wrote:
jackatthekilns wrote:If the roleplaying aspect of RPGs is something that you value, I recommend giving 5e a shot (table top not Sword Coast legends). Demphasizing combat and encouraging story-telling and roleplaying was a major design goal.
You mean versus 4E? Because the RP aspect of 4E is identical to 5E, no? I thought that everyone was so happy with the roleplaying in 4E being better than 3.5, that they mostly stuck with that?

I do agree that storytelling in 4E was a little weak, but the RPing in 4E was on-spot for me.
I think the main difference between 4e and 3.5 is that 4e focused much of its rules and support on the combat, primarily due to the fact a lot of groups just make up their own fluff anyway. Part of why 4e may not have been so successful though may also have been because it relied very heavily on re-flavoring abilities immediately after an edition where it was assumed any attempt to change the origin of an ability is an attempt to power-game. In 4e and now 5e, your longsword could also be a katana, or a machete, or any other 1d8 slashing sword of choice. Spells can be flavored as technology or psychic powers. Last time I told someone I wanted to do that in 3.5 they assumed I just wanted to bypass anti-magic fields.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

kazerima wrote:I think the main difference between 4e and 3.5 is that 4e focused much of its rules and support on the combat, primarily due to the fact a lot of groups just make up their own fluff anyway. Part of why 4e may not have been so successful though may also have been because it relied very heavily on re-flavoring abilities immediately after an edition where it was assumed any attempt to change the origin of an ability is an attempt to power-game. In 4e and now 5e, your longsword could also be a katana, or a machete, or any other 1d8 slashing sword of choice. Spells can be flavored as technology or psychic powers. Last time I told someone I wanted to do that in 3.5 they assumed I just wanted to bypass anti-magic fields.
Yeah, that's true I feel. In the beginning of 4E, a lot of people actually argued that 4E was a bad RP edition, because it focused on combat, while most people now agree the opposite is true of course. By removing the rules for RPing, you make it more free. It's way easier to RP in 4E and through challenges, it's way easier to create RP experiences for DMs. The storytelling comment is fair though. Stuff like Inspiration and character backgrounds are needed to actually encourage people to combine their RPing with the setting. 4E just vaguely kept mentioning "hooks", but had no mechanical connection that represented those. Inspiration is a way to reward people for doing it themselves and the backgrounds stuff is tied into the actual mechanics.

So yeah, 5E is probably by far the best product Wizards has ever made, though I think there's a soft spot in my heart for the brutal simplicity of 4E.

3.5 can go die in a fire, it's in my opinion the worst edition they ever made
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

I agree with some of that. 4e was rather weak when it came to pre-published story material, though there were some Unearthed Arcana type things released through Dragon to encourage more roleplaying here and there.

That said, I disagree with 3.5 being terrible, as in the end, each edition is a different game designed with different goals in mind. While I loved the depth of 4e's character creation and 5e's free multiclassing, every edition has something good to offer.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Gilberreke wrote:So yeah, 5E is probably by far the best product Wizards has ever made, though I think there's a soft spot in my heart for the brutal simplicity of 4E.
I would like to remind everyone of Bear Lore, and what a hilariously shitty idea/implementation that was.

Personally, Pathfinder was my go to for the longest time, but I really enjoy 5e. To me 4e was abysmal but to each his own. Points of Light was a rather unique and especially well thought-out setting though. Unfortunately PoL didn't have enough material to really put together a cohesive setting. Intentional I think, but unfortunately so.

As for Roll20 I use it several times a week. I have a number of campaigns going on it. It really is a great tool for tabletop RPGs.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:Personally, Pathfinder was my go to for the longest time, but I really enjoy 5e. To me 4e was abysmal but to each his own.
It's funny, I've yet to find someone that loves Pathfinder and loves 4E. Personally, Pathfinder feels like a more streamlined version of 3.5, but I hate 3.5. I love 4E, because it had none of the problems 3.5 had.

Fortunately, both of them exist to be played and fortunately, we all seem to love 5E :)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

As less of a game and more of a thought experiment, you could always stat up an Exalted character and run it through your favourite game/tv show/movie.
Of course, you're basically just story telling rather than playing a game, but it can be full of fun "what if?" situations.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.